Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login

Site Notices
Posted: 11/20/2012 4:37:51 PM EST
Does anyone know what DuraCoat color is a decent match for 601 Green?
Link Posted: 11/21/2012 4:53:24 AM EST
There is none. I looked into it a couple of years ago.

If you want want the correct color the best thing to do is get John Thomas to paint it for you. He has perfected the color.
Link Posted: 11/21/2012 10:13:41 AM EST
I am pretty happy with my testors effort to match. Although I do not have any real stuff to match to.

http://www.ar15.com/forums/t_3_123/590066_601_furniture_paint_job_example___for_SousEstime.html

Here is a thread I put out there on the paint I used. Would probably use more of a rust color undercoat next time.
Link Posted: 11/21/2012 10:57:23 AM EST
[Last Edit: 11/21/2012 11:05:35 AM EST by jntmjt1]
Originally Posted By Flash66:
There is none. I looked into it a couple of years ago.

If you want want the correct color the best thing to do is get John Thomas to paint it for you. He has perfected the color.

Thanks Flash66...

tlm3210, I can help you out if you want a nice match to the original color. A couple photos below show some repairs I've done on original pieces.

- On the handguard, the 3rd and 4th teeth from the left (counting the handguard cap area) were broken, I rebuilt them and color matched the paint in an area about 1 inch in diameter around each tooth.
- On the stock, I painted a repair in the top, right, front edge of the stock. The painted area I worked is about the size of a dime. The color match is pretty much dead on.

I think many guys who haven't put their eyes on the 601 parts, in person, don't realize how dark the real pieces actually are. Photos, especially when a flash is used, seem to really brighten how the color looks (at least to my eyes).

John Thomas

Link Posted: 11/21/2012 5:16:56 PM EST
+ 1 for JT doing it for you. I was saving a little cash and wanted the experience of painting some myself, otherwise John Thomas all the way!

Flawless, quick, dedicated retrohead!
Link Posted: 11/21/2012 5:32:42 PM EST
+1 for John Thomas. Send it to him. Look up some of the other threads for work he's done.
Link Posted: 11/22/2012 7:15:09 AM EST
Yea A++++ 1 ++++ For John !
Excellent work and great guy!

If those two are the same color it is amazing how different they are with and with out flash !
Top picture with handguard is a lighter green vrs the stock color looks more olive-drab from the 50's
Top Top