Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 5/12/2004 1:55:49 AM EDT
I know the opinions of short barrels vary, but I've always wanted one and thought I'd do a fake-suppressor on a short barrel as a happy medium, don't really wanna pay $200 for cool factor. Anyway, I found a fake can at a show, bought it, and was looking to go to Model 1 for a 10.5" kit for it. Then, I notice they have a "call for info" deal on their site, and some wording about paperwork for the upper.

Am I assuming correctly that you have to show tax-stamp info to buy a short barreled upper?? I wasn't aware it was illegal to buy a short barrel? Am I missing something and if I'm correct, how would I go about building one of these? I've seen guys with them, so maybe I'm missing something.

Don't want to be illegal, but if I weld on a fake brake I'm at 16+", so what would the hang up be about doing what I'm thinking of?
Link Posted: 5/12/2004 2:58:00 AM EDT
[#1]
Not illegal to own by itself, but businesses have a right to set their own policies. Bushmaster requires a tax stamp copy to buy M16 parts.

I'm sure you can find someone to sell you a short upper without any paperwork, if Model 1 doesn't want your business.
Link Posted: 5/12/2004 3:13:43 AM EDT
[#2]
11.5" uppers are all over ebay.  <edited to say not cheap>[

cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=31709&item=3677129701&rd=1&ssPageName=WDVW
Link Posted: 5/12/2004 4:27:10 AM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
11.5" uppers are all over ebay.  strangley cheap too.

cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=31709&item=3677129701&rd=1&ssPageName=WDVW

OUCH! That ain't cheap! That upper is without bolt and charging handle, and still $375, whereas the entire kit from Model 1, even the lower parts and buttstock is just over $400!

That's why I wanted one from Model 1, but apparently they won't sell one to me. Ugh.

The search continues.
Link Posted: 5/12/2004 4:31:32 AM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 5/12/2004 5:02:19 AM EDT
[#5]
Why don't you try one of the fake cans that slips over a 16" barrel?  If that would peg your "fun meter" it would save you some hassle setting up your upper and give you better ballistic performance.
Link Posted: 5/12/2004 5:45:56 AM EDT
[#6]
THAT IS  NOT CHEAP      I HAVE ACCESS TO DEALER COST THROUGH MY FRIEND WHO HAS AN FFL     DPMS SELLS 11.5" UPPERS WITH BOLT CARRIER ASSEMBLY COMPLETE FOR $359.95
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top