Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Troubleshooting
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 5/1/2003 8:35:43 PM EDT
 Ok, this may be Overasked Question #9 but I couldn't find a reference sooooo....

After less than a thousand rounds out of a new Bushmaster 20" I've noticed that the rear of the firing pin (the fat ring that meets the bolt) looks chewed up around the outside edges.  A buddy just picked up an Armalite, put near 1k rounds through it in a week or two, and is noticing the same thing..
 Is this normal wear, are we improperly lubing something, or did two rifles from two companies just happen on the same malfunction?  As always, any help is _greatly_ appreciated!
Link Posted: 5/2/2003 1:19:22 PM EDT
[#1]
The hammer is cocked by the firing pin head and collar, and gets marked up a bit this way. Common. Do not worry over it.

Without the cut in the carrier, if the hammer was not caught by the sear, the rifle would go full auto. Now full auto is bad, but this full auto could occur without any assurance of the bolt being in battery - KaBoom - a bad day.
Link Posted: 5/2/2003 7:54:53 PM EDT
[#2]
Great news, thank you very much Billski!  I see what you mean mechanically.  It's not as if the pin looked dangerously chewed up, but definitely better safe than sorry on My New Baby..
Link Posted: 5/3/2003 6:02:52 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
...Now full auto is bad, but this....
View Quote

i'm sorry, full auto is not "bad" in 34 of 50 states... there its just taxed and restricted.... and expensive
Link Posted: 5/4/2003 10:27:20 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Quoted:
...Now full auto is bad, but this....
View Quote

i'm sorry, full auto is not "bad" in 34 of 50 states... there its just taxed and restricted.... and expensive
View Quote

Full auto is very bad on non NFA stuff, in any state.
Link Posted: 5/4/2003 11:25:42 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Full auto is very bad on non NFA stuff, in any state.
View Quote

uhhh, yeah... but it's a matter of a $200 tax stamp... that and being able to afford the go fast goodie of your desires once you find it.

my point is that contrary to what many people believe, full auto is legal... once you jump thru the hoops.
Link Posted: 5/5/2003 7:20:31 PM EDT
[#6]
Full auto on my postban Bushmaster would be a Very Bad Thing.  Besides being blatantly illegal, it would come as quite a surprise and most likely throw my group all to hell ;)

As to the original thread, at 1400 rounds the Bushie is starting to smooth itself out real nice, the firing pin hasn't gotten significantly worse, maybe it was jsut teething.  My buddy traded the armalite in on a 16" Bushie.  The Armalite firing pin seemed to show the wear mentioned more severely than either Bushmaster. Maybe the armalite firing pins are softer, or maybe it's the luck of the draw.  Screw it, she goes *bang* every time I've asked her to..
Page AR-15 » Troubleshooting
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top