Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Maintenance & Cleaning
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 12/22/2003 5:41:07 PM EDT
Hi guys,

So, you'll have to pardon my ignorance here, but about all this talk of cleaning with coated Dewey rods and Hoppes #9 et all, exactly how clean does a barrel need to be?

I am not a precision shooter by any means; my notion of proper AR-15 use in my world is being able to hit the A Zone on an IPSC target out to 150 yards. I am not worried about shooting tight little groups or anything.

That being said, I usually run a boar snake down the chamber 3-4 times and call my barrel cleaning done. For my purposes, is this good enough or do I need to run out and purchase the above stated Dewey rod, patches, Hoppes #9, cleaning rod guide, etc...

Thanks!

Greg
Link Posted: 12/22/2003 9:03:00 PM EDT
[#1]
Dude you are shooting an ar15.  For your purposes that is adequate.  

All I do is run about 2 patches wet with CLP and then 2 dry patches and then repeat about 4 times or so and call it good.  
Link Posted: 12/23/2003 12:30:36 AM EDT
[#2]
I stopped using CLP as a bore solvent long ago.  It just never seemed to come clean.

I have used Hoppes #9 in the past and like it well enough.  Right now I'm using Shooter's Choice and I think it's a little better, but more expensive.

For my blasting guns that I expect to get 3" group out of at 100 yards, I clean the bore until all I see ia green copper residue left.  I usually don't bother to clean out the copper.  I call it clean when the dark powder/lead/crap is gone from the patches that come out.

I only use a bore snake in a pinch, like when I'm in the field and need a quick cleaning with CLP.

For my more accurate guns, I will use copper solvent and work until most of the copper is gone, but I'm not too picky about it.

I like to use CLP to lube my guns and clean the non-bore parts of them.
Link Posted: 12/23/2003 3:37:11 AM EDT
[#3]
what you are doing is fine.  A lot more guns are damaged by cleaning than by shooting.  If its a chromed BBL copper fouling isn't a problem, till you get up over 10K rds.  I use sweets 7.62 till its just a lite blue twinge.  Or soak in Hoppes #9 over a few days.  Swab with wet patches till most of the blue color is gone.  You really don't need to be fancy, its the black crud that needs to go.
Page AR-15 » Maintenance & Cleaning
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top