Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Magazines
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 11/16/2003 6:02:14 PM EDT
A while back there was a thread about taping the bottom approx. 2" of 30 round mags and including a length of paracord underneath, to make it easier to take out of mag pouches.  There were pics of soldiers in Iraq with this set-up.  Is regular duct tape used?  I can't find the original thread.  
Link Posted: 11/16/2003 7:13:20 PM EDT
[#1]
I wrap around the bottom of the mag three times with regular green duct tape.  It keeps them a little quieter while in the pouch, but also gives a little "ledge" that makes grabbing them easier.

I don't use any string.

EDIT: searched "all forums", for "6 months" for "duct tape" and couldn't find it...
Link Posted: 11/16/2003 9:16:51 PM EDT
[#2]
Not pulling any chains here, just asking, why not go with [url=http://www.bizplaces.com/magpul/search_results.asp?txtsearchParamCat=2&txtsearchParamType=ALL&txtsearchParamMan=ALL&txtsearchParamVen=ALL&iLevel=1]magpulls[/url]? Better for you mags and less likely to fail than tape and paracord.

- Nw -
Link Posted: 11/16/2003 10:21:17 PM EDT
[#3]
No taping necessary. Take some para cord, remove the insides and put a length(depending on size of loop you want) of zip tie in it making a "U" shape(also round off the 2 ends of the zip tie so it won't puncture the cord). Then not off the loose ends. Pull the floorplate off and put the not end into the mag, replace floorplate. Alot cheaper and alot lighter than magpuls. Easily and readily replaced in the field too. KISS.
Link Posted: 11/17/2003 4:56:34 PM EDT
[#4]
Just the 550 cord as described above works fine.  Cheap and easy to replace.

"100 mile per hour tape" will work, but the adhesive tends to creep out and attract all sorts of dirt.  I think the Canucks call this "gun tape."

-- Chuck
Link Posted: 11/17/2003 6:23:53 PM EDT
[#5]

Thanks for all the info guys.

Quoted:
Not pulling any chains here, just asking, why not go with [url=http://www.bizplaces.com/magpul/search_results.asp?txtsearchParamCat=2&txtsearchParamType=ALL&txtsearchParamMan=ALL&txtsearchParamVen=ALL&iLevel=1]magpulls[/url]? Better for you mags and less likely to fail than tape and paracord.

- Nw -
View Quote

Northern_Winter:  The one thing I was concerned about is that the mag wouldn't fit back in my mag pouches.  The pouches I have use a cover.  I bought these when I was still living in Canada and they came in two sizes, one that fits the 20 rnd mags and the other fits the 30 round mags.  I'll have to post a pic because I'm not sure what they were originally designed for.  The only thing I came up with was that they were once used for FAL mags because they fit in there snug-the 20 round ones anyway.  For this reason, there is plenty of room. From looking at the Magpul site again, I will have to try these at some point.  

Link Posted: 11/17/2003 6:32:49 PM EDT
[#6]
[url=http://www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=1&f=5&t=203119]Cheese is good, & MAG PULLS suck[/url]
Link Posted: 11/19/2003 8:25:18 PM EDT
[#7]
Yea I tried the magpulls but the new molle vest made it difficult to close and get the mags out so I used the trusty ole 550 cord.
  FREE

Quoted:
No taping necessary. Take some para cord, remove the insides and put a length(depending on size of loop you want) of zip tie in it making a "U" shape(also round off the 2 ends of the zip tie so it won't puncture the cord). Then not off the loose ends. Pull the floorplate off and put the not end into the mag, replace floorplate. Alot cheaper and alot lighter than magpuls. Easily and readily replaced in the field too. KISS.
View Quote
Link Posted: 11/20/2003 7:05:36 PM EDT
[#8]
I have a few mags with just some duct tape on them, without para cord. I was told it was for muffling the rattle, and it does seem to make a little difference.
Link Posted: 11/23/2003 9:43:45 PM EDT
[#9]
Use the industrial 55 mph tape and 550 cord. If you do not want to tape them I have seen guys drill a small hole in the floor plate and on the side of the Mag near the bottom and run cord. That is not a bad way to do and by far is better than just drilling the floor plate only.
Link Posted: 11/25/2003 8:20:24 AM EDT
[#10]
I posted that topic about a year ago.

Yup. When I get new mags I usually wrap some OD 90Mph tape around the bottom of the mag.
some I use para cord.

1.)Quieter when carried in any configuration.
2.)Easier to pull out of mag pouchs w/w out paracord.
3.) The extra tape has proved very useful for quick fixes for whatever.
4.)The Military folks know the best improvised field techniques.
5.)More compact and a whole lot more economical than MagPuls.
Link Posted: 11/27/2003 9:20:30 PM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 11/28/2003 8:17:06 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
I have a few mags with just some duct tape on them, without para cord. I was told it was for muffling the rattle, and it does seem to make a little difference.
View Quote

Or you could do what I do, and cut out a section of bicycle inner-tube about 1.5inches wide.  Pull this onto the mag, around the bottom, put this mag in the middle of a 3-mag pouch, and it keeps the other 2 mags from rattling around so much. Cheap too.
Page AR-15 » Magazines
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top