Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 11/7/2018 3:44:50 PM EDT
I know the adjustable LED RMR models are both popular and have a lot of issues since people are using them on pistols more and more lately.  However, that's not what I'm looking for info on.

While I would not use a Dual-Illuminated RMR for a primary sight (being in the shade aiming towards brightly lit areas, for example) I'm thinking of mounting one to a front ring on a scope at the 12 o clock position for a backup/close in sight.

Has anyone used one in this role?  I notice they are only available with fairly large dots.  Amber goes down to 7moa but green is 9moa at the smallest.  I really don't want a battery because I don't want to have to remove it and re-zero it all the time whenever the battery is changed.  0-100m I can see 7moa being quite usable but I wish they made a 6moa green.  I don't know about the Amber in bright light.

I've seen some people mount a T-2 instead but I'm looking to keep the weight and footprint smaller than that.
Link Posted: 11/7/2018 4:52:39 PM EDT
[#1]
Go with the triangle. Big dot for close up, #Justthetip for when you need to aim a bit further.

But really, it's a close in sight. At distances where the dot is too big, use your scope.
Link Posted: 11/7/2018 5:19:10 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Go with the triangle. Big dot for close up, #Justthetip for when you need to aim a bit further.

But really, it's a close in sight. At distances where the dot is too big, use your scope.
View Quote
9MOA just seems huge though, even at 50.  I know the amber has a 7 but I really worry about yellow washing out or appearing too similar to bright ambient light.

That's why I was looking for feedback.  You're right though, at 0-50 I don't see how the 9moa green dot could possibly be a liability for putting hits on paper or steel.
Link Posted: 11/7/2018 6:52:15 PM EDT
[#3]
I have a 9 MOA green dot RMR on my TA11, which rides my SCAR. I have no issue hitting a sheet of notebook paper at 100m with it, approximating the size of vitals as well as being roughly the same size as the dot at that range. That’s considerably more precision than I’d ever need from it, given what kind of shooting it’s for relative to the main optic under it.
Link Posted: 11/7/2018 7:51:28 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

9MOA just seems huge though, even at 50.  I know the amber has a 7 but I really worry about yellow washing out or appearing too similar to bright ambient light.

That's why I was looking for feedback.  You're right though, at 0-50 I don't see how the 9moa green dot could possibly be a liability for putting hits on paper or steel.
View Quote
I ran an RX06, which is a 12.9 MOA dot. Hit targets out around the 200yd or a bit over at CWTX3. Missed some, but that's due to my lacking ability as a shooter, not the reticle. 9MOA is only 9in at 100yds, and 18 at 200. Heck, that actually means you can effectively use it for ranging, because the average male chest is around 18in, so you could get close enough with it.

Anyways, at 50yds, you're only looking at 4.5in. At 25yds, 2.25in, so it's going to be covering well under what most people can hit with a handgun. At doorkicking ranges, it's a complete non-issue.
Link Posted: 11/7/2018 7:58:44 PM EDT
[#5]
Looking to go the triangle route as well and zero on the top point and use whole triangle for fast close up stuff.
Link Posted: 11/7/2018 8:02:39 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

I ran an RX06, which is a 12.9 MOA dot. Hit targets out around the 200yd or a bit over at CWTX3. Missed some, but that's due to my lacking ability as a shooter, not the reticle. 9MOA is only 9in at 100yds, and 18 at 200. Heck, that actually means you can effectively use it for ranging, because the average male chest is around 18in, so you could get close enough with it.

Anyways, at 50yds, you're only looking at 4.5in. At 25yds, 2.25in, so it's going to be covering well under what most people can hit with a handgun. At doorkicking ranges, it's a complete non-issue.
View Quote
I'm going to pull the trigger on the green 9moa circle then.
Link Posted: 11/7/2018 8:33:02 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

View Quote
The amber RMR is clearer then the green one and it’s really bright in the daylight and descent at dawn and dusk
Link Posted: 11/7/2018 8:43:05 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
The amber RMR is clearer then the green one and it’s really bright in the daylight and descent at dawn and dusk
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

This was my experience as well. Seems like they need more tint to bring out the green. It’s fairly purple, whereas the amber is more of a light blue. It’s not a big deal if there’s a good bit of daylight, but I could see it being a hindrance in lower light, an area FO RMRs already struggle in.
Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top