Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 1/11/2006 10:12:47 AM EDT
Is it ok to dry fire an AR with the upper on?  Just got me upper in and it seems as though the hammer would be always cocked unless fired.  Have always been taught to not leave a fiearm in this position.  So is is safe to dry fire or would the constant pressure on the hammer spring have any adverse effects on it?
Thanks
Link Posted: 1/11/2006 10:23:50 AM EDT
[#1]
Dry firing will not hurt your rifle as long as you have a upper receiver attached.
Link Posted: 1/11/2006 10:23:56 AM EDT
[#2]
you can dry fire it with no problem
Link Posted: 1/11/2006 12:15:47 PM EDT
[#3]
when i was in the corps we spent hours and hours "snapping in". this was an eternity of dry firing the weapon with a dime resting on the front sight post, the idea was to be able to squeeze the trigger slow and steady w/o making the dime fall. the military seems to think it's o.k to dry fire
just my .02 worth
Link Posted: 1/11/2006 12:37:52 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
Dry firing will not hurt your rifle as long as you have a upper receiver attached.

...WITH A BOLT CARRIER.

IF you don't have a bolt carrier in said upper, you will still ding up the front of the fire control pocket. Nothing major, but looks like hell.

And yes, if you have a complete rifle, dry fire away.

And Leaving the hammer cocked will do NO harm to the spring. actually, dropping the hammer every time you put it away will wear the spring out.

Quality springs do not have memory, i.e. if you leave them compressed will not tend for them to stay compressed. The only thing that will wear a spring out is cycling it from compressed to uncompressed. Basically normal use.
Link Posted: 1/11/2006 1:05:49 PM EDT
[#5]
with complete upper is fine.
Link Posted: 1/11/2006 2:10:18 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
...WITH A BOLT CARRIER.

+1
Link Posted: 1/11/2006 3:12:51 PM EDT
[#7]
Thanks Everyone!!!
Link Posted: 1/11/2006 4:16:33 PM EDT
[#8]
why did no one mention the use of a Snap Cap? just curious?
Link Posted: 1/14/2006 8:03:04 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
why did no one mention the use of a Snap Cap? just curious?

And what about this?  http://www.fulton-armory.com/DryFireDevice.htm
Not only would this absorb any shock, it negates the need to fully charge the weapon each time.  I would put $5.00 down for one at a gun show, no doubt.

Link Posted: 1/14/2006 12:59:11 PM EDT
[#10]
dry firing an ar has never given me an issue that i could see, just the same i use a snap cap often.  i do dry fire or use the caps when going into storage, but i use them just as often for practice.  pretty handy unit and they cost a few bucks.

septic tank

Link Posted: 1/14/2006 2:25:36 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

And what about this?  http://www.fulton-armory.com/DryFireDevice.htm
Not only would this absorb any shock, it negates the need to fully charge the weapon each time.  I would put $5.00 down for one at a gun show, no doubt.

I keep snap caps on hand for dry firing and to check for feeding and ejection problems.  I've never seen that little Dry Fire Device before though.  Pretty clever little item.
Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top