Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 5/28/2003 12:02:01 PM EDT
Anyone ever done this before?

I'm seriously thinking of purchasing an Armalite with a fiberglass free float tube. Can I drill holes in the fiberglass tube to attatch rails? Sort of a poor mans PRI tube. I'm concered that the fiberglass would fracture, but I think it would work so long as I put some epoxy on the raw edges after drilling.

Good Shooting
Red
Link Posted: 5/28/2003 12:13:22 PM EDT
[#1]
Yes.  I added about a 12" rail at the 10 o'clock position so I could adjust my sling "on the fly" so to speak.  I used 4, rounded, allen head screws and put washers behind them.  I put the washers on an anvil and gave them a curve as close the inside of the tube as possible.  I filed down a socket (forget what size screws I used, maybe something like 3/16s) to fit in the tube and used a piece of pipe as an extension top get the nuts on.  File the socket down until the nut is flush with the top. It works until someone starts making a free floated hand guard with rails for the AR10.
Link Posted: 5/28/2003 3:03:38 PM EDT
[#2]
Thanks for the info! I was hoping someone had done this before.

I'm thinking of more along the line of one long rail installed on the bottom for a "track" to move the bipod back and forth on. That way I can balance the rifle on the bipod or move the bipod in when shooting from places where having it in the forward sling position isn't the most practical.

Now for a source of rails and screws.

Good Shooting
Red
Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top