Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Site Notices
9/22/2017 12:11:25 AM
Posted: 9/27/2005 11:26:26 AM EDT
Anyone heard of Double Star lower receivers??? If so, what do you think?
Link Posted: 9/27/2005 1:28:48 PM EDT
I have one. it looks, feels, acts like, and went together as good as any other high quality lower out there.

HTH,
Luv
Link Posted: 9/27/2005 1:36:32 PM EDT
I have one, and built many.

They are very high quality.
Link Posted: 9/27/2005 2:01:37 PM EDT
They aren't bad...

Finish isn't as nice as Mega, Stag, or Ameetec... (cool looking logo though)

The finish on them, IMHO, is VERY flat, so if you have a (even fairly) glossy or teflon coated upper, there will be a contrast.

The first Doublestar lower I ever purchased (at a gun show) actually was missing the hole for the safety detent. (I have pictures if you don't believe me!), some kind of manufacturing fluke.

I will say, though, that the JT/ Doublestar folks were SUPER nice and helpful, and got me a new lower stat. They told me that thelower was a low SN and that they hadn't previously heard of this...

So, probably not the best, probably better than many, but definitely will suffice to make an AR.

- AG
Link Posted: 9/27/2005 6:36:01 PM EDT
I saw one being carried by a private security guy working for Dyncorp in Iraq last year. The guy swore by it.
Link Posted: 9/27/2005 10:10:39 PM EDT
I too was curious/skeptical earlier this year and a few good folks here gave them a thumbs up and no dissenters. So, this past spring I bought one and have been very pleased with it. I also have a low'ish S/N RRA lower (read, "a bit older") and it is very closely comparable in quality and finish to the JT/DS lower, if not equal (and I think highly of RRA). Overall the finish is 99 percent identical to the RRA in color and matte. The RRA has forging marks (very minor) where the JT/DS doesn't and vice-versa. The JT/DS went together very well using RRA components. IMO, the most significant difference is with the FCG well area. The RRA has more metal removed in the FCG well. I speculate this means it hasn't been neutered by blocking the FCG well from adapting to NFA components, whereas the JT/DS has. If that is what that means, that's not really important to me anyway, as I bough it as my "spare" lower. My JT/DS lower has been mated to three different makes of upper receivers: Rock River Arms, White Oak Armory, and Alexander Arms. My results as follows:

DS lower mated to "x" upper:
-- RRA: has a very minor "edge" at mate junction (~.002 to .005 inch difference in upper/lower width on each side) but was otherwise a very tight fit (as in zero slop and a good thing); color/matte matches very well.
-- AlexArms: slightly less difference in width than with the RRA upper; fit was not as tight as with RRA upper, but again, little-to-no slop. As Aggie pointed out though, the AA upper is a more "glossy" and deep black (teflon) and the color/matte difference is readily apparent. It will pass the 25 meter visual test though.
-- WOA no noticeable difference in width; least tight of the three but almost imperceiveable even when looking for it. The color/matte matches 95+ percent and will easily pass the 1 meter visual test.

Overall, the beefed-up areas (I think it's called "webbed areas" or areas of thicker metal around mag-well and ejection port) of the JT/DS lower didn't match 100 percent to any of the upper's webbed areas. Again, a minor cosmetic thing and not likely to notice it unless you're looking for it.

The above opinion is absent of the most important element though - function. It assembled/aligns perfectly and has performed flawlessly mated with all uppers I have. It has accepted at least 10 different manufacturers of magazines without issue, including Beowulf, composite, steel, and of course aluminum USGI ones. Mind you, it's the one and only JT/DS lower I've owned/observed but it appears to be of excellent quality and I have zero regrets in purchasing it.

I'd say if: it is what is available to you; mine is representative of what any other DS one will be; you aren't loyal to a more established/well-known brand; the price is right... that you won't have any regrets either.

FWIW, I have zero connections with anyone at JT/DS and the info is simply a simple opinion of an AR enthusiast and consumer who almost knows what he is talking about.

Hope this is helpful.

-w
Link Posted: 9/27/2005 11:42:23 PM EDT
they are the sister company of jt distributing which you can find in the industry forum

grea­t lowers!
Link Posted: 9/28/2005 3:50:19 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 9/28/2005 4:03:39 AM EDT by joey46987]
Ive heard good things about them, but I really respect everyones oppinion on this sight. I bought it from a mil surplus store for $150.00. I dont know if i over payed, but i bought a LAR A2 upper, and it is a very good fit and good color match. Here is what I have so far and what i want to get for my SPR:

DS Stripped lower
DPMS LPK
LAR A2 Upper
Wilson Match Grade 16" SS Heavy Barrel, 1x8 twist
YHM convertable FF tube
DPMS UPK (Going to replace the rear sight for a National Match)
DPMS Bolt and bolt carrier
Phantom FS (not the compensator)

hopefully I will have a good carbine that will be able to put a coyote down at 300yds... We'll see

If anyone can suggest anything else, I am definately open to input!
Link Posted: 9/28/2005 7:01:51 AM EDT
I have one with a car stock. Fit and finsh is as good as bushie and almost as good as my colts. The stock is not mil speck. Works great .
Link Posted: 9/28/2005 11:31:35 AM EDT
i payed $100 for mine
Link Posted: 9/29/2005 4:53:22 AM EDT
Well, now I know how much to spend for a lower... For when I build my next one!!!
Top Top