Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 9/27/2005 11:26:26 AM EDT
Anyone heard of Double Star lower receivers??? If so, what do you think?
Link Posted: 9/27/2005 1:28:48 PM EDT
[#1]
I have one. it looks, feels, acts like, and went together as good as any other high quality lower out there.

HTH,
Luv
Link Posted: 9/27/2005 1:36:32 PM EDT
[#2]
I have one, and built many.

They are very high quality.
Link Posted: 9/27/2005 2:01:37 PM EDT
[#3]
They aren't bad...

Finish isn't as nice as Mega, Stag, or Ameetec... (cool looking logo though)

The finish on them, IMHO, is VERY flat, so if you have a (even fairly) glossy or teflon coated upper, there will be a contrast.

The first Doublestar lower I ever purchased (at a gun show) actually was missing the hole for the safety detent.  (I have pictures if you don't believe me!), some kind of manufacturing fluke.

I will say, though, that the JT/ Doublestar folks were SUPER nice and helpful, and got me a new lower stat.  They told me that thelower was a low SN and that they hadn't previously heard of this...

So, probably not the best, probably better than many, but definitely will suffice to make an AR.

- AG
Link Posted: 9/27/2005 6:36:01 PM EDT
[#4]
I saw one being carried by a private security guy working for Dyncorp in Iraq last year. The guy swore by it.
Link Posted: 9/27/2005 10:10:39 PM EDT
[#5]
I too was curious/skeptical earlier this year and a few good folks here gave them a thumbs up and no dissenters. So, this past spring I bought one and have been very pleased with it. I also have a low'ish S/N RRA lower (read, "a bit older") and it is very closely comparable in quality and finish to the JT/DS lower, if not equal (and I think highly of RRA). Overall the finish is 99 percent identical to the RRA in color and matte. The RRA has forging marks (very minor) where the JT/DS doesn't and vice-versa. The JT/DS went together very well using RRA components. IMO, the most significant difference is with the FCG well area. The RRA has more metal removed in the FCG well. I speculate this means it hasn't been neutered by blocking the FCG well from adapting to NFA components, whereas the JT/DS has. If that is what that means, that's not really important to me anyway, as I bough it as my "spare" lower. My JT/DS lower has been mated to three different makes of upper receivers: Rock River Arms, White Oak Armory, and Alexander Arms. My results as follows:

DS lower mated to "x" upper:
-- RRA: has a very minor "edge" at mate junction (~.002 to .005 inch difference in upper/lower width on each side) but was otherwise a very tight fit (as in zero slop and a good thing); color/matte matches very well.
-- AlexArms: slightly less difference in width than with the RRA upper; fit was not as tight as with RRA upper, but again, little-to-no slop. As Aggie pointed out though, the AA upper is a more "glossy" and deep black (teflon) and the color/matte difference is readily apparent. It will pass the 25 meter visual test though.
-- WOA no noticeable difference in width; least tight of the three but almost imperceiveable even when looking for it. The color/matte matches 95+ percent and will easily pass the 1 meter visual test.

Overall, the beefed-up areas (I think it's called "webbed areas" or areas of thicker metal around mag-well and ejection port)  of the JT/DS lower didn't match 100 percent to any of the upper's webbed areas. Again, a minor cosmetic thing and not likely to notice it unless you're looking for it.

The above opinion is absent of the most important element though - function. It assembled/aligns perfectly and has performed flawlessly mated with all uppers I have. It has accepted at least 10 different manufacturers of magazines without issue, including Beowulf, composite, steel, and of course aluminum USGI ones. Mind you, it's the one and only JT/DS lower I've owned/observed but it appears to be of excellent quality and I have zero regrets in purchasing it.  

I'd say if: it is what is available to you; mine is representative of what any other DS one will be; you aren't loyal to a more established/well-known brand; the price is right...  that you won't have any regrets either.

FWIW, I have zero connections with anyone at JT/DS and the info is simply a simple opinion of an AR enthusiast and consumer who almost knows what he is talking about.

Hope this is helpful.

-w
Link Posted: 9/27/2005 11:42:23 PM EDT
[#6]
they are the sister company of jt distributing which you can find in the industry forum
great lowers!
Link Posted: 9/28/2005 3:50:19 AM EDT
[#7]
Ive heard good things about them, but I really respect everyones oppinion on this sight.  I bought it from a mil surplus store for $150.00.  I dont know if i over payed, but i bought a LAR A2 upper, and it is a very good fit and good color match.  Here is what I have so far and what i want to get for my SPR:

DS Stripped lower
DPMS LPK
LAR A2 Upper
Wilson Match Grade 16" SS Heavy Barrel, 1x8 twist
YHM convertable FF tube
DPMS UPK (Going to replace the rear sight for a National Match)
DPMS Bolt and bolt carrier
Phantom FS (not the compensator)

hopefully I will have a good carbine that will be able to put a coyote down at 300yds...  We'll see

If anyone can suggest anything else, I am definately open to input!
Link Posted: 9/28/2005 7:01:51 AM EDT
[#8]
I have one with a car stock. Fit and finsh is as good as bushie and almost as good as my colts. The stock is not mil speck. Works great .
Link Posted: 9/28/2005 11:31:35 AM EDT
[#9]
i payed $100 for mine
Link Posted: 9/29/2005 4:53:22 AM EDT
[#10]
Well, now I know how much to spend for a lower... For when I build my next one!!!
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top