Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
PSA
Member Login

Site Notices
9/17/2020 5:59:48 PM
Posted: 3/8/2010 8:08:05 AM EDT
First time poster long time lurker. I need some suggestions on dot sights. I’m color blind as a bat. I have trouble at times picking up red or green dots. Have any of you color blind guys had better success with circle dot, t dot ect. I’m getting a new AR soon and am looking for an optic that I can see better. Any help appreciated.
Link Posted: 3/8/2010 9:23:13 AM EDT
I am partial CB, but if you're red/green, that'd be bad. I would think your best bet would be a true 1x scope w/ a regular etched reticle.
Link Posted: 3/8/2010 9:27:25 AM EDT
My friends son is color blind and cannot see the red/green reticles.  He is able to pick up the amber reticles
Link Posted: 3/8/2010 11:58:30 AM EDT
Seei if a local gun shop in your area has a Leupold CQT 1-3 optic.  It has a yellow illuminated circle.  Can you see yellow?

Also, some of the ACOGs have a yellow chevron reticle as well.
Link Posted: 3/8/2010 12:19:15 PM EDT
Red, green and yellow all give me problems. If I pick a different color of the bulls eye on my targets I can distinguish the difference. But in a real life stress situation I worry that it might be a problem. I see some blue dots that might work but not sure of the quality of the manufacturers. Looking for opinions from other color blind guy's if the circle-dot, chevron or t-dot helped. It might be easier to find. I’m so bad that even in the sticky “reticle picture post” at the top of the optics forum page I have trouble seeing the dots if they are in foliage or trees. I will check on the Leupold CQT 1-3.
Thanks for the replies!!
Link Posted: 3/8/2010 1:03:57 PM EDT
Originally Posted By 9194:
Red, green and yellow all give me problems... I see some blue dots that might work but not sure of the quality of the manufacturers.

For those of you out there who are more fortunate than us men in the 10 percentile that are color blind, red/green are synonymous of each other and blue/yellow are synonymous of each other.  Meaning, if you have difficulties seeing red, you should have difficulties seeing green as well.  Likewise, if yellow is hard to see, blue should be as well.  Furthermore, for most people, "color blind" is an incorrect term, albeit, there is true color blindness.  "Color deficient" better describes most peoples lack of ability to see some color. And on top of that, the degree of deficiency/blindness varies in severity from one individual to the next.

Myself, for example, am red/green color deficient.  I have a hard time distinguishing close shades of red or green.  Also for me, reds and greens can be easily camouflage into brown. But I can clearly see red and green.  I can see that Rudolph's nose is red and dollar bills are green.

To the OP, have you actually looked through various optics,in person, and know for a fact that you have visibility issues with a red or green dot?  Even if you cannot see the color of the dot, does the intensity/brightness stand out for you at all?  Since you have difficulties with yellow, are you sure blue is going to work out for you?
Link Posted: 3/8/2010 1:12:46 PM EDT
Perhaps something that has a reticle AND illuminated dot. That way, worst case, you can rely on the reticle if you cannot see the dot.
Link Posted: 3/8/2010 4:44:17 PM EDT
I have a hard time distinguishing close shades of red or green.  

+1.  I occasionally have a hard time with traffic lights; the red/green tend to 'blur' together if I look at them for longer than a few seconds in certain kinds of light––it's a good thing that the position of the lights are standardized; and, I'm the LAST person you want adjusting the color on a TV...but I don't have any problems with my Aimpoint. I have not experienced the red dot "washing out". I say go to your local gun store and get sales to let you look thru one for a bit and see if it will work for you.
Link Posted: 3/8/2010 7:35:00 PM EDT
Originally Posted By safehaven:
Originally Posted By 9194:
Red, green and yellow all give me problems... I see some blue dots that might work but not sure of the quality of the manufacturers.

To the OP, have you actually looked through various optics,in person, and know for a fact that you have visibility issues with a red or green dot?  Even if you cannot see the color of the dot, does the intensity/brightness stand out for you at all?  Since you have difficulties with yellow, are you sure blue is going to work out for you?

From what I remember the optomitrist I had seen when I was young said that I was totally color blind. The way he described is that I see all shades of grey. What you see on a black and white tv.  I learned since I was young what shade of grey was a certain color but some shades of grey to me are to close to tell the difference. With optics being red, green or amber those really blend into the background colors while shooting.

I have two red/green dots. The higher I have the intensity the better I can see them but I kind of need to search to find the dot. I have not used any T or circle dots yet. I feel they might be easier for me to pickup. The best thing to do would to go to a shop and see what stands out best. Or maybe I should just stick to the irons!!

Thanks

Link Posted: 3/8/2010 10:30:43 PM EDT
I'm red green color blind and had hard time choosing an optic that would work well for me.  I just had to go and personally look at as many as I could.  Reds are pretty much useless to me.  Eotechs are the worst for me, I can see them only when they're turned all the way up, but then it just becomes a blurry mess.   Aimpoints are a little better, but again I have to turn it all the way up, and the single dot is hard for me to find quickly, as it easily washes out for me.

I can't even see the red ACOGS.  I think the amber horse shoe ACOG would work well for me, but I haven't been able to find one locally to see.  I think the new green ACOGS might work for me too for the most part.  As long as it was a bright enough outside to make the reticle glow brightly.  But if is was darker outside/inside, I may have trouble making it out.  I see light to medium greens as white.  A green traffic light at night looks just like a street lamp to me.  

I ended up buying a Leupold CQT.  I can see the amber reticle very clearly in any condition.  Plus it is just a very high quality sight that's built like a tank.

But if you are completely color blind nothing may work for you well, you'll just have to see.  You may have to stick with irons.  Or buy a cheap red dot from Primary Arms and see how you like it before you spend a bunch of money.
Top Top