Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Site Notices
9/19/2017 7:27:10 PM
Posted: 8/9/2003 4:05:23 AM EDT
Sometimes I have trouble with my AR. Its a 20" Colt HBAR. I thought it may have been a mag problem but now I'm not sure, and I will add that I'm quite new to AR's here's the problem.
Last couple of times out to the range upon firing the rifle the fired case ejects ok but as the bolt carrier is moving forward its is stopping with about half the length of a loaded round left to be fully closed. The round that it has stripped on the way forward doesn't seem to be jammed in any way because if I tip the rifle forward the round will drop right into the chamber but the bolt still remains half open. I then pull rearward on the charging handle and release and the bolt will close. Last time at the range the rifle did this for about the first 10-15 rounds then it seemed to work itself out somehow and started working ok. Could it be something I'm doing wrong while cleaning and lubing? The rifle has only about 600 rounds total fired through it. Oh and ammo I'm using are reloads. 55 grain fmj with 26 grains of Alliant Reloader 15, or 24.5 grains of Accurate 2230. I'm thinking it may be a lubrication problem? Thanks for your help
Vince.
Link Posted: 8/9/2003 4:23:27 AM EDT
Link Posted: 8/9/2003 4:29:39 AM EDT
A friend had the exact problem with a new Armalite. We could not find anything wrong. Wasn't the gas tube, wasn't the firing pin on the hammer, he had the correct buffer and spring, cycling by hand didn't feel any different from working AR's. It was like there wasn't enough momentum to push the carrier over the hammer. When it stopped he could pull the charging handle back and it would chamber fine. After 2 trips to Armalite they eventually changed the bolt and carrier and now it works great. Let us know what you find.
Link Posted: 8/9/2003 6:50:34 AM EDT
Check your semi auto disconnector spring and contact surfaces. This jam is the design of the semi weapons to prevent full auto fire when those parts are worn.
Link Posted: 8/9/2003 7:04:02 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 8/9/2003 7:07:02 PM EDT by Tweak]
ipsc, David_Hineline's prolly onto something. Unload and clear then pull the upper off of the lower. Hold the trigger to the rear and cock the hammer onto the disconnector. Incredibly slowly release the trigger, keep something (a thumb works) between the hammer and body of the lower receiver in case the hammer drops. The hammer should drop onto the sear face of the trigger. If the hammer drops completely into its fired position you have found the problem. Repeat the test several times if the FCG passes the first test. When you cock the hammer onto the disco the middle hammer hook should just miss (by an eyelash) the tip of the disco. Next hold the trigger to the rear and cock the hammer as far as it will go, push the hammer down onto the disco as hard as you can. Does the disco rock OUT (to the rear not just UP) of engagement with the middle hammer hook? Next, pick up your bolt carrier and look at your firing pin. Can you see it through the slot in the bottom of the carrier? Does the spool of the firing pin extend past the ramp that leads down to it? Reassemble the rifle and slowly work the bolt back and forth using the charging handle, can you feel the bolt carrier bind as it passes over the hammer? Repeat while holding the trigger to the rear, does the binding go away? [edited for specificity]
Top Top