Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 9/12/2004 9:51:48 PM EDT
I saw some threads where people were asking which Walmart stores would sell them an AR at the stroke of midnight when the ban ends. I worked at Walmart for 13 years, I am not a disgruntled employee at all but I have some things to say about that and I want to hear some amens. There are issues that concern gun owners, then anti-Walmart rants at the bottom..I have no problem snipping them and moving them to the General forum, but nobody knows what everybody doesn't know...

Walmart is so politically correct, when the political wind blows, they are shakier than a crack baby.

Upper management makes up policies that have no basis in law or common sense. When the state of MS "voluntarily" asked retailers to collect information about customers buying ammo, Walmart stores in MS made it a policy to collect ALL our information off our driver's license, even if you were buying a box of .22 cartridges. When it was dove season, it was worse, everybody had to stand in line to renew their licenses, then they had to stand in line to buy shells. The employees gave various reasons why they had to collect it."It's a new state law(false)...The state wants to (a) keep up with meth labs(?!?) (b) it's part of the Assault Weapons Ban (c) keep up with underage ammo sales(!?!)(d) I don't know, "they" just want me to do it...

They wrote your name, address,phone number,SS# or DL#,age,height,weight, everything. What type ammo it was(pistol or rifle), and caliber..It all went into a wirebound notebook kept under the register, no security at all for all that information..The state didn't enforce it, Walmart did. All the smaller gun dealers in the state entered a pact, no one would collect information about ammo sales for the state. All or none. The state eventually stopped asking the stores to collect the information, I guess a lot of state representatives shop at Walmart during hunting season and had to deal with some irate people.We're small enough that we can talk to our Representatives and they remember our faces...(Why Trent, why? We could have had a President from MS )

If you want to buy a rifle off the rack, you probably aren't getting the one you inspected and handled, you are getting the one out of the gun room in back, unless that's the last one in stock. Salesclerks aren't the best armorers. The store I worked at kept having to send back a certain model shotgun they thought was "defective" until someone figured out they were putting them together wrong and messing them up. If you find out that the rifle they sell you is a lemon(like the one screwed up during their assembly), you have to send it back to the factory for a warranty return, even if it was defective straight out of the box. A local shop will swap it out in a heartbeat because it's the right thing to do, plus they won't sell you anything unless you've checked it out first. It's a "hassle" to Walmart to do that for a customer. They need those associates to do some trivial job, like straighten out the lure rack or get shopping carts..Plus, most manufacturers have a "special" production line for high volume purchasers, not just gunmakers, but electronics mfgs., too. More than likely the model number will have a "W" in it, that means it was made quickly with not so good quality controls.

On top of all of that, Walmart has a "No weapons" policy for customers and employees alike. If you have a CCL, technically, you can't legally carry in Walmart. For customers, they are not going to hassle you. If you are an employee however, you'll get written up if you even have a bow in your car. If you have a CCW and you're carrying, you'll get fired. They make their employees park a quarter mile away and they tend to turn off the parking lot lights at night to save electricity. That makes it a bit tense for some of the ladies...We've had a lot of stuff happen in the parking lots from rapes to attempted kidnappings to shootings and stabbings...Recently there was a stabbing in the lingerie department in one of the Tupelo stores. Some woman got a knife from the housewares department and stabbed another customer and an assistant manager that intervened.

[/Walmart rant]
Where I live, there are only a few mom and pop gun shops left...and Walmart. It's like downtowns all over America, Walmart has a habit of "over-servicing" the customer with their high volume/low prices so the small business owner suffers. I have friends that have given up altogether or scaled back their products and services because of the smiley face.

And then there is the"Walmart Effect." Two years after making a deal with Walmart, most companies close their American facilities and go to other countries, just to keep up with their contractual obligations with Walmart. Other companies stop doing business with them and they become dependent on Walmart as their sole customer.
Vlasic went into bankruptcy because they couldn't afford to keep up with their contract for the "$3.97 a gallon" deal. They couldn't find enough domestic or imported cucumbers.
Schwinn had to completely restructure after having to farm out a contract to some of their competitors because their facilities couldn't fill a Christmas contract. They lost $X per bicycle in an X million unit contract. Walmart approached the contractors with a more lucrative deal and stopped dealing with Schwinn.
Vanity Fair/Wrangler, Levis,Fruit of the Loom, all of them have closed all their US plants because of obligations to Walmart..
But one of my friends was handed a cease and desist order after undercutting Walmart. He was selling swings below Walmart's cost and they didn't like it?!?

Link Posted: 9/12/2004 9:54:01 PM EDT
[#1]
I know the anti's are asking walmart to not sell Assult  Weapons
Link Posted: 9/12/2004 9:56:49 PM EDT
[#2]
I get a few things at walmart nevergot a gun there.  Today I got a box of ammo that was clearenced out, 4 lexan bottles, 24 pack of cheap ass soda.  I go there for siple stuff, normally fish fry and cheap soda.
Link Posted: 9/12/2004 10:14:31 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:

Did Wal-mart ever sell "assualt weapons" even before there was a ban?  Ever?  I thought they only ever dealt with Pump shotties and a few bolt rifles.  I'm not sure, I never ever went to Wal-Mart looking for guns.
Link Posted: 9/12/2004 10:17:35 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Did Wal-mart ever sell "assualt weapons" even before there was a ban?  Ever?  I thought they only ever dealt with Pump shotties and a few bolt rifles.  I'm not sure, I never ever went to Wal-Mart looking for guns.

I think they did.
Link Posted: 9/12/2004 10:18:46 PM EDT
[#5]
Wally world still sells 10/22's and mini-14's
Link Posted: 9/12/2004 10:27:02 PM EDT
[#6]
Here in Vegas they carry mini-14s in thier window. I bought four crickett .22s for my kids because they were 79.00$ everywhere else they were 150.00+ Other than that I have never had a problem. I always carry my Glock or P226, If they ask me about a lump under my shirt I will tell them its a gun, The most they can do is ask you to leave. There sticker on the door "no guns allowed" means jack shit, its a public shopping area. I only go into a Walmart  Late at night, they are 24 hours here.
They can Suck my dick, The sherrif says I can carry so I do.
Link Posted: 9/12/2004 10:29:19 PM EDT
[#7]
for the most part i agree with wittzo.. i almost feel bad about my job... i work at wal-mart in the sporting goods department and i sell lots of firearms. he is right about the associates that work there not many know what there talking about.  i for one have tried my best to learn about firearms since i started there and help the customer. if i have no idea what there talking about it. theres know way ill BS them. ill straight up tell them i don't have a clue.  he is right about that no weapons policy it really sucks. ive had a few manager give me crap about my pocket knife i carry. its rather lame.  Wal-mart is very concern with being PC. i doubt there will ever be "assault wepaons" found in a walmart.. hell they dont even have hand guns.. the other thing that will probably never happen would be carrying hi-cap mags for there simple .22s (rugers, marlins etc) as for the quality of the firearms yes a few are of less quality do to high volume purchases. but not all of them some are the same you find in any gun store. only thing i personally don't agree with is about getting the gun you looked at.. when ever we do sell a firearm its easier to give them one that is in the box. this is true.. im more then happy to pull out the gun from the box and let the customer check it out make sure that they want that one. sometimes the one thats been on display for 6 months or so, handle by everyone looks to be in better shape to them heressome decent ammo for good price.  on the repair thing some of it is just stupid.. its nice that they will fix it for free for as long as you ownthe gun. but it can take for ever to get it done.
Link Posted: 9/12/2004 10:53:50 PM EDT
[#8]
Hmph...and here I was believing all those feel good Walmart commercials about some poor ass sap that was on welfare, livin' in the slums, and now they're some sort of WalMart GM for their region?!?!

But seriously, any fool that that shops regulary at WalMart deserves to lose everything they own just like all these American factory workers here did because of all this imported goods bullshit. That's right -- lose their job, lose their house, lose their savings, lose everything. Then try standing their asses in an unemployment line all day long just to get a referral to some lame-ass temp service. And you know what, don't look to me for no damn sympathy!!  

Hell, I don't care if they're under-selling my local dealer by a dollar, or two on a box of shotgun shells. What the hell is a dollar going to buy nowadays?!?! A friggin' candy bar?!?! That's about comparable to some of these clowns I see that will drive half-way across town to sit in line at a gas station just to save 2-cents a gallon on junk gas...

People...

Fuck ChinaMart!!

Link Posted: 9/13/2004 1:16:58 AM EDT
[#9]
Just so you know their current policy of all gun sales are final now applies to ammunition as well. So if you pick up the wrong box of shotgun shells in a hurry you best have a second gun in that gauge.

At least that's the policy here.
Link Posted: 9/13/2004 5:27:10 AM EDT
[#10]
I found out all ammunition sales are final yesterday morning, accidently picked a case of 20ga shotgun shells instead of 12 ga, tried to exchange it and was told that "All ammunition sales are final" oh well, guess its time for another shotgunh.gif
Link Posted: 9/13/2004 6:41:18 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
Just so you know their current policy of all gun sales are final now applies to ammunition as well. So if you pick up the wrong box of shotgun shells in a hurry you best have a second gun in that gauge.

At least that's the policy here.

Returning ammunition has been prohibited by Federal law for a long time now. Who's to say that box of ammunition in the wrong caliber isn't really a bunch of reloads of questionable quality?
Link Posted: 9/13/2004 6:51:19 AM EDT
[#12]
Before the ban in 1994 Walmart in the New Orleans metro area did sell Colt Sporter lightweights with a flash suppressor and a fixed A2 stock.
Link Posted: 9/13/2004 7:28:44 AM EDT
[#13]
They were selling chineese AK's with dumbhole stocks here.
Link Posted: 9/13/2004 9:14:35 AM EDT
[#14]
Walmart by my house dosen't sel too many rifles.
Link Posted: 9/13/2004 9:49:38 AM EDT
[#15]
Well, around here the 'quality' of the local dealers sucks... Take your typical gunshow table, with $1500 box-stock ARs and such, put it in a store, and 'poof', that's what our gunshops are like (there are only about 3 of 'em, too)...

I've bought one gun in the local area, a used shotgun from Gander Mountain...

Were I looking for a new one, I'd probably go to WalMart...

I buy all my ammo there or at Gander depending on the price, and will continue to do so untill someone gets it cheaper.... One exception is the match .223 ammo I use, which only one local shop carries (said shop probably does more business in ammo & range time than guns sold)...

We have minimal to no small retailers around anyway BEFORE WM came to the area, so what you get is WalMart chasing out K-Mart & RadioShack... Boo-freakin-hoo, at least WM sells guns & stuff, a/o RosieMart, and doesn't force their employees to be jerks to every customer like RS does (I used to work there when I was in college)...

And as for jobs going overseas, thank your local Union for that... The fact is that you can't compete and pay what manufacturing companies are forced to pay... So they move... Economics folks, and I don't feel compelled to subsidse ineficciency in the market just because it hurts to find out your job's obselete...
Link Posted: 9/13/2004 10:33:17 AM EDT
[#16]
The Walton's donate large sums of money to the GOP. I will continue to spend hundreds of dollars at Sams and walmart.
Link Posted: 9/13/2004 10:44:17 AM EDT
[#17]
if walmart didnt stock ar15's prior to the sunset, why would they start now?
Link Posted: 9/13/2004 11:08:22 AM EDT
[#18]
I buy NOTHING at Walmart ever since they decided one day to treat me like a thief.

I'm walking out with my groceries in a cart when the greeter asks to see my receipt.  I asked her nicely why?  She said it was store policy.  I said these are my groceries, I paid for them, and I don't need to prove it to anyone.  You may ask the cashier if I paid for them or not.

With that, I pushed  my cart to my truck and haven't been back to ANY Walmart since.  Fuck them.

It would have been a completely different thing if the shoplifting sensor had gone off, then I would have been more than happy to prove that the stuff was mine.  But just minding my own business, without giving anyone any possible reason to think I'm stealing?  I don't think so.
Link Posted: 9/13/2004 11:10:19 AM EDT
[#19]
Here is a local Walmart story. http://www.wtnh.com/Global/story.asp?s=1978607

Walmart pulls guns off shelves of new store

(New Haven-WTNH, June 29, 2004 10:20 PM) _ Wal-mart has come under fire for years for selling firearms in its stores.

Now the retail giant will not sell guns in its soon-to-open New Haven store.

by News Channel 8's Leigh Frillici
Scott Huddleston, Store Manager Wal-Mart, says,"We are new to New Haven and we just wanted to do the right thing."

When you go to Walmart you can usually buy just about anything there, including guns. But you won't find firearms at the new Walmart opening up at Foxon Boulevard in New Haven. City officials, like the mayor and the police chief, persuaded the chain store giant to keep guns and ammunition off their shelves in this new location.

Chief Francisco Ortiz, New Haven Police Dept., says,"They sent a letter to me indicating every intention of selling firearms. I responded firing off a letter that I was in complete opposition. Even lawfully possessed weapons cause injuries."

Mayor John DeStefano says,"It is about community values. We basically said we would prefer you not to do this."

Taking a step back from what they normally sell, Walmart agreed.

Scott,"We are trying to do the best thing for the community. If that is what the community wants, that is what we are going to do."

Mayor John DeStefano says Walmart may not have wanted history to repeat itself. The Super KMart that used to be here in this location sold guns. Residents rose up in protest and got the store to take the guns off their shelves.

DeStefano says,"I think they looked at this and then they looked at that and said we don't want any part of this fight."

In previous situations, communities like Avon and Guilford protested against the Walmarts there carrying guns. In those instances, Walmart decided to go ahead and sell the guns anyway. In this situation, Walmart says they will not lose money because they have plenty of other items to sell. They expect to open in a couple of weeks.
Link Posted: 9/13/2004 3:01:20 PM EDT
[#20]
Not buying from Walmart for all the reasons so far, is the wrong reason for not buying from Walmart. Other than the wages they pay the help, all the profit goes to a bunch of high up muckety mucks.

I'd much rather give that profit to a locally owned gunshop. Wally world may have a slightly little better price, but keeping a local shop with people who can actually give you help and information down the road beats the hell out of saving $3 or $4 bucks. All Wally world is gonna do for you is collect your money.
Link Posted: 9/13/2004 3:17:54 PM EDT
[#21]
I have actually bought a couple of guns at Wally World, but it was a while ago (5+ years).  They had marked down a couple of 1100s w/ synthetic stocks to $240, so I bought both of them.  They had also marked down a Ruger 77 in 30.06 to $250, so I bought it as well.  The Wally World here is very friendly to sportsman, as it is a big industry here for both Wal Mart and K-Mart.  I buy all of my 9mm and .22LR there, and will continue to do so.
Link Posted: 9/13/2004 3:19:04 PM EDT
[#22]
Link Posted: 9/13/2004 3:21:49 PM EDT
[#23]
I love the story one of the members here told.

Walmart had a sale on the 9mm whitebox bulk stuff and the guy went in there to buy just about all they had.    The clerk is trying to ring the sale up and asks "handgun or rifle" to which the guy responds, "machine gun."

the description of events and the clerk's reaction was priceless.
Link Posted: 9/13/2004 3:26:52 PM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:
Not buying from Walmart for all the reasons so far, is the wrong reason for not buying from Walmart. Other than the wages they pay the help, all the profit goes to a bunch of high up muckety mucks.

I'd much rather give that profit to a locally owned gunshop. Wally world may have a slightly little better price, but keeping a local shop with people who can actually give you help and information down the road beats the hell out of saving $3 or $4 bucks. All Wally world is gonna do for you is collect your money.

You obviously aren't familiar with the muckety mucks working in the gunshops where I live.  Not a whole lot of useful info to be found I can assure you.  
Link Posted: 9/13/2004 3:27:38 PM EDT
[#25]
Walmart sells guns here, has a Pro- CCW policy and actually encourages it, doesn't record my info to buy ammo, so I will be a long time WalMart shopper. I could care less if they check my receipt, or require my info to return something.
Link Posted: 9/13/2004 3:46:32 PM EDT
[#26]
I think many have a love, hate relationship with Wally World.
Link Posted: 9/13/2004 3:47:47 PM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:

Quoted:

You obviously aren't familiar with the muckety mucks working in the gunshops where I live.  Not a whole lot of useful info to be found I can assure you.  

Sorry, I was referring to the high up muckety mucks in reference to keeping the money local. I like supporting the ma and pa shops, instead of one of the worlds most wealthy billionaires.

Actually, I've seen idiots at some gun shops that don't have a clue what they are talking about. They'll shovel out any shit that comes to mind to make a sale. These guys I usually mention to the management. I also blow them off when they head my way. Not above commenting, "thanks I'd rather get help from someone knowledgable." Surprising what other customers in the store will also avoid em after that comment.
Link Posted: 9/13/2004 4:12:00 PM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:
I have actually bought a couple of guns at Wally World, but it was a while ago (5+ years).  They had marked down a couple of 1100s w/ synthetic stocks to $240, so I bought both of them.  They had also marked down a Ruger 77 in 30.06 to $250, so I bought it as well.  The Wally World here is very friendly to sportsman, as it is a big industry here for both Wal Mart and K-Mart.  I buy all of my 9mm and .22LR there, and will continue to do so.

I wish K-Mart still carried 9mm ammo.  I would buy it just to piss off Micheal Moore.  All of the wally's around here stoped selling the Mini-14, but they still have 10/22s.  I think they have doon much to destroy the American economy by putting all of mom& pop shops out of business.

Like it says in Isaiah,  "Wo into those who put house to house and feild to field."  I think that fits them perfectly.
Link Posted: 9/13/2004 7:56:45 PM EDT
[#29]
I am a former WalMart employee as well.  Wal Mart stopped selling handguns because pf the anti's criticism.  No one wants to go to a large merchandise store to get anything when some idiot is standing out front with a picket sign.  Wall mart has never sold any assault weapons.  The closest thing they have right now to one is a Ruger .40 cal semi auto rifle.  I'm sure that will be pulled soon.  As for smaller gun shops.  People go there to purchase a gun, they have no need to worry about hypocritcal Anit NRA people because they have something that those people don't; a gun and ammo when they come out of the store.
Link Posted: 9/13/2004 7:59:41 PM EDT
[#30]
I totally forgot about teh Mini 14 at Wal Mart, I was completely thinking about the Ruger .40 cal.
Link Posted: 9/13/2004 8:17:57 PM EDT
[#31]
You couldn't drag me into a Walmart.
Link Posted: 9/13/2004 9:06:03 PM EDT
[#32]
I work for Wal-Mart in a DC. So far I have been treated very well in the 6+ years I have worked there and I'm a regular hourly associate. The pay is good (better then the stores as the work is a little harder. It starts at $14 and goes to over $20 per hour with in a few years) We have the no gun policy but a lot of workers/managers talk guns and the GM is a hunter as well. I sharpen knives on the side and everyone, even the big wigs bring me their knives to sharpen. Just about every corporation has this "no weapons policy" and is not just a Wal Mart thing, unfortunetly it is the times we live in. Our local Wal Mart sells NRA memberships and used to sell hand guns and AR-15's. If I had more clout I'd try to get them back selling them....maybe in time they will. It all comes down to the store manager and his/her view and how they run the store. As a whole Wal-Mart is more gun friendly then most if not all big retail chaines. Wal-Mart does support the GOP big time so that is a plus for all gun owners.

Sam Walton said before he died he wanted a soprting good dept. in every store and to always sell firearms. He was a big hunter/sportsmen and Wal- Mart now sells a comemertive shotgun with his signrture engraved on it. Things have changed sence Sam died but hopefully his ideas will live on for younger generations.
Link Posted: 9/13/2004 9:21:22 PM EDT
[#33]
I bought a Ruger 10-22 several years ago. The Walmart is in Greenwood, Indiana. I had to fill out two 4473 forms. One went straight to the feds and the other remained in the store, so I was told. Right now in my town they are building a Walmart, many of the towns people are against it but the now former mayor basicly told us to fuck off we are going to build it wether you want it or not. I will never walk in the doors. Walmart is a corperate monster.
Link Posted: 9/13/2004 9:30:35 PM EDT
[#34]
Wally world has many flaws but they are a good company for the most part. They are the single most important company helping the economy get back on to it's feet over the past 3 years. The $$$ they generate helps America in a lot of ways and helps many times more then it harms. Before you condem WM to the "evil empire" look at the good it brings as well.....not everything is perfect.
Link Posted: 9/13/2004 9:39:26 PM EDT
[#35]
next to that, thier coustomer service sucks!

took em 3 weeks for them to finally ORDER a remingington 710 for me a couple years back
came in in 4 days

dont buy guns from therm
Link Posted: 9/13/2004 9:45:49 PM EDT
[#36]
I'm so glad I work at Cabelas, definately not worried about pissing off any anti's
Link Posted: 9/13/2004 9:52:50 PM EDT
[#37]
You've gotten a lot of my money over the last few years, Cabela-Boy.
So has Walmart.  I think it says something of the company that in these turbulent political times, they are willing to stock the value pack line of ammo.  Imagine the horror of the media finding out you can get ONE HUNDRED ROUNDS of TEC-9 ammo for $10.

Actually, what it says is that Walmart realizes gun folks have money, too, and Walmart can get it if they sell the stuff these folks want at good prices.
Link Posted: 9/13/2004 10:00:05 PM EDT
[#38]

Quoted:
So has Walmart.  I think it says something of the company that in these turbulent political times, they are willing to stock the value pack line of ammo.  Imagine the horror of the media finding out you can get ONE HUNDRED ROUNDS of TEC-9 ammo for $10.

Actually, what it says is that Walmart realizes gun folks have money, too, and Walmart can get it if they sell the stuff these folks want at good prices.

Thank you for shopping at Cabela's
Link Posted: 9/13/2004 10:48:53 PM EDT
[#39]
Link Posted: 9/13/2004 10:50:06 PM EDT
[#40]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Thank you for shopping at Cabela's

Id shop there too, but the nearest one is in WV.
Link Posted: 9/14/2004 8:57:11 AM EDT
[#41]
I Love Cabelas, absolutely a great store in every way!!!! The closest one is a 2+ hour drive form Colorado to Sydney Nebraska....well worth it!!!
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top