Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 12/31/2005 6:22:34 AM EDT
Mine seems a little off, like it's leaning to one side.  It's mounted to the receiver, and regardless of whether the battery compartment hangs out over the Larue forend or I mount it back toward the rear of the receiver, it never looks quite square.

Is this a problem with the unit?  Would the Larue mount take care of this?  ThankS!
Link Posted: 12/31/2005 10:32:48 AM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 12/31/2005 1:27:41 PM EDT
[#2]
Assuming it's the EOtech, will they replace it, I've noticed mine leaning too on my colt upper. Is there any attachment method that can cause this with an otherwise in spec sight. I.E. too tight/ not tight enough, etc.
Link Posted: 12/31/2005 1:51:43 PM EDT
[#3]
I first tried mounting mine in between my A3 upper and the rail of my flat-topped forend, which seems to be the popular configuration. It never seemed to fit 100%, and when I came across it laying on the ground one day when I was out plinking, I decided to mount it on the rail of the flat-topped forend only. Seems more solid. Remember to check the tightness of the thumb screw once in a while.
Link Posted: 12/31/2005 2:12:09 PM EDT
[#4]
Flat on my CMT upper.

I suppose there will be one guy in particular along shortly with pics of his EOTech not sitting right, though.

WIZZO
Link Posted: 12/31/2005 3:38:59 PM EDT
[#5]
Tried it on two other uppers; a bit flatter on one, but still unsettling.

It definitely does not line up with the Larue forend, and is more offset the farther forward it sits.

Does the Larue Eotech mount help??
Link Posted: 1/1/2006 7:46:35 AM EDT
[#6]
My Eotech sits a bit canted on my Bushmaster A3 upper.
Noticeable,  but not an issue in terms of functionality.
Link Posted: 1/1/2006 8:55:01 AM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 1/1/2006 10:21:28 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Tried it on two other uppers; a bit flatter on one, but still unsettling.

It definitely does not line up with the Larue forend, and is more offset the farther forward it sits.

Does the Larue Eotech mount help?? [q]

I bought an Eotech/Larue combo from G&R Tactical a couple of weeks ago and mounted it on my Bushmaster A3. After reading a post last week from someone who had problems with his Eotech mounting at an angle I got mine back out and gave it a serious eyeball. I can detect no problem. Basically, you have to have a flat rail and a flat Eotech base. I don't know that a flat Larue on a canted rail or any combination of only 2 in spec out of 3 elements will work. I would think that the higher an Eotech is off a bad rail the worse the perception would be, so adding a Larue would only magnify the problem (my guess). I suppose I could take my Eotech off the Larue and check, but if it ain't broke........

Easiest might be to find another A3 and try your Eotech on it.
Link Posted: 1/2/2006 6:13:12 PM EDT
[#9]
My Eotech also sat slightly canted to the left when using the knurled slotted screw. It also popped right off the rifle once hock.gif Luckily I caught it. I found that if I used the socket head screw and torqued the shit out of it while applying pressuer down and to the right, that it solved the problem. It appeared that the problem was with the Eotech as I tried it on rails by three different manufacturers and had the same results. I,m still not 100% satisfied with the ammount of engagement on the rail. But with a little blue loc-tite on the threads I feel it isn't going any where.
I hope this helps.
Link Posted: 1/4/2006 9:45:47 PM EDT
[#10]
BTT
Link Posted: 1/4/2006 10:02:01 PM EDT
[#11]
mine sits straight...like an arrow
Link Posted: 1/5/2006 10:30:04 AM EDT
[#12]
Has anyone got detailed instructions for doing what boom suggested? Maybe a diagram even, or is it a fool proof job with nothing that can be irreparably damaged?
Link Posted: 1/5/2006 10:35:10 AM EDT
[#13]
Do a search on this subject, I read a post on this about 2 or 3 weeks ago, and EOtech replied to this!
Link Posted: 1/5/2006 10:39:54 AM EDT
[#14]
I'm severely search impaired I can never seem to find a damn thing, will try, but will probably be back with more questions than I left with originally.
Link Posted: 1/5/2006 11:13:42 AM EDT
[#15]
Has anyone ever been able to find any correlation between the complaints and a certain series of serial numbers, or is it a random phenomenon?
Link Posted: 1/6/2006 5:57:33 AM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 1/6/2006 4:34:26 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:
My Eotech also sat slightly canted to the left when using the knurled slotted screw. It also popped right off the rifle once Luckily I caught it. I found that if I used the socket head screw and torqued the shit out of it while applying pressuer down and to the right, that it solved the problem. It appeared that the problem was with the Eotech as I tried it on rails by three different manufacturers and had the same results. I,m still not 100% satisfied with the ammount of engagement on the rail. But with a little blue loc-tite on the threads I feel it isn't going any where.
I hope this helps.

It sounds like your Weaver lock was upside down or out of spec.  The Weaver lock is the part of the EOTech that the screw goes into to form a clamp on the rail.  EOTech advises against over torquing the screw (it could break) or using LockTite.   Contact Dennis Finnegan (EOTech customer service) at [email protected]   He'll fix you right up.

For anyone else who has a leaning EOTech:  Check your rail specs against this diagram www.biggerhammer.net/picatinny/
EOTech's are designed to fit rails machined within government spec.  If your rail is out of spec, the sight can lean.  I've encountered rails from various rifle manufacturers that did not meet the tolerances of this spec, but I've never encountered an out-of-spec EOTech.  The other cause could be the Weaver lock as mentioned above.
Link Posted: 1/6/2006 5:52:38 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

Quoted:
My Eotech also sat slightly canted to the left when using the knurled slotted screw. It also popped right off the rifle once hock.gif Luckily I caught it. I found that if I used the socket head screw and torqued the shit out of it while applying pressuer down and to the right, that it solved the problem. It appeared that the problem was with the Eotech as I tried it on rails by three different manufacturers and had the same results. I,m still not 100% satisfied with the ammount of engagement on the rail. But with a little blue loc-tite on the threads I feel it isn't going any where.
I hope this helps.

It sounds like your Weaver lock was upside down or out of spec.  The Weaver lock is the part of the EOTech that the screw goes into to form a clamp on the rail.  EOTech advises against over torquing the screw (it could break) or using LockTite.   Contact Dennis Finnegan (EOTech customer service) at [email protected]   He'll fix you right up.

For anyone else who has a leaning EOTech:  Check your rail specs against this diagram www.biggerhammer.net/picatinny/
EOTech's are designed to fit rails machined within government spec.  If your rail is out of spec, the sight can lean.  I've encountered rails from various rifle manufacturers that did not meet the tolerances of this spec, but I've never encountered an out-of-spec EOTech.  The other cause could be the Weaver lock as mentioned above.

Does EOTech advise against installing purchacing sights with upside down or out of spec Weaver lock's?
Link Posted: 1/6/2006 7:26:25 PM EDT
[#19]
Link Posted: 1/7/2006 10:48:22 AM EDT
[#20]
My 552 leans left and seems to get worse when moved towards the rear.

Link Posted: 1/7/2006 10:50:22 AM EDT
[#21]
Link Posted: 1/7/2006 10:51:44 AM EDT
[#22]
Link Posted: 1/7/2006 10:52:39 AM EDT
[#23]
Link Posted: 1/7/2006 10:59:56 AM EDT
[#24]
Link Posted: 1/8/2006 6:42:23 AM EDT
[#25]
My old 511(c) on a model 1 Flattop- NO!

My new 511(F) on an ASA flattop-Perfect.
Link Posted: 1/8/2006 7:12:36 PM EDT
[#26]
tag, interested in this myself.
Link Posted: 1/20/2006 5:46:14 PM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:
My Eotech also sat slightly canted to the left when using the knurled slotted screw. It also popped right off the rifle once Luckily I caught it. I found that if I used the socket head screw and torqued the shit out of it while applying pressuer down and to the right, that it solved the problem. It appeared that the problem was with the Eotech as I tried it on rails by three different manufacturers and had the same results. I,m still not 100% satisfied with the ammount of engagement on the rail. But with a little blue loc-tite on the threads I feel it isn't going any where.
I hope this helps.

Just purchaced another 552 for my new AK. Tried it on my Bushmaster and it sits flush. So apparently the problem was with the EOTech and not the rail being out of spec. At least in my case.
Link Posted: 1/21/2006 5:43:27 AM EDT
[#28]
Yes it does.
Link Posted: 1/21/2006 9:10:28 AM EDT
[#29]
Yes it sits square.
Link Posted: 1/22/2006 9:18:01 AM EDT
[#30]
My 552 sits titled as well. No matter how much I play with it it will be canted. Havent had a problem with zero though.
Link Posted: 1/24/2006 12:03:19 PM EDT
[#31]
tag
Link Posted: 1/24/2006 12:49:32 PM EDT
[#32]
Sadly, I just found out I've got an issue with mine....

The problem isn't the cant, the problem is that it isn't locking down the way it is supposed to.  I wouldn't care if it were a range toy, but this is for duty use.
Link Posted: 1/24/2006 2:29:07 PM EDT
[#33]

Quoted:
Sadly, I just found out I've got an issue with mine....

The problem isn't the cant, the problem is that it isn't locking down the way it is supposed to.  I wouldn't care if it were a range toy, but this is for duty use.

Now, you know, EOTech has never produced a bad product so this is going to be YOUR fault or YOUR RIFLE'S fault in some way!

Also, don't come on this site and try to say that EOTech has made a bad product, because there are those out there right now that are getting their cup of EOTech Cool Aid poured as we speak.

Good luck with it.  I hope that you have better luck with them than I did!
Link Posted: 1/24/2006 3:52:38 PM EDT
[#34]
I have two 552s and they are the new ones with the lever and they sit tilted on my Bushmasters as well.  Gave up and went Aimpoint which sits flush flat now on my Knights rail. Sent it to Eotech and got another one- same problem with tilting just different day.
Link Posted: 1/24/2006 4:34:04 PM EDT
[#35]

Quoted:
I have two 552s and they are the new ones with the lever and they sit tilted on my Bushmasters as well.  Gave up and went Aimpoint which sits flush flat now on my Knights rail. Sent it to Eotech and got another one- same problem with tilting just different day.

I know what you mean, but EOTech says that ALL of the leaning problem is with receivers being out of spec, NOT their sights.  Funny, my sight has sat tilted on EVERY rail that I have placed it on and EVERY rifle that I have placed it on.  Future Aimpoint owner here also.  Another trooper just purchased a Rock River M4Gery and he was talking about buying an EOTech.  I have changed that, he is going to purchase an Aimpoint now.  If I can get just a few people a year that I come into contact with to buy anything other than and EOTech, I'm happy.
Link Posted: 1/24/2006 7:14:36 PM EDT
[#36]
Mine's slightly canted on three different guns.  Since for me it's just range gizmo, it doesn't affect the function at all and I'm actually quite happy with the site.

However, for what these things cost, they should be perfect.
Link Posted: 1/24/2006 7:21:49 PM EDT
[#37]

Quoted:

You hit the nail right on the head!
Link Posted: 1/25/2006 10:48:07 AM EDT
[#38]
I haven't called them yet, we will see what happens, and I'll comment back here when I do with either good or bad results.

ETA-  Eotech has been a good company to deal with each time I've have talked to them, I see no reason why it should be different now.
Link Posted: 1/25/2006 11:20:51 AM EDT
[#39]
Link Posted: 1/25/2006 12:02:26 PM EDT
[#40]
I have used mine on a Colt, CMT, Mega, and OA.  The only one it fits on is OA.....

This Eotech also won't mount on my rails.
Link Posted: 1/25/2006 1:26:45 PM EDT
[#41]
Yes, my Eotech 552 is canted. Looking down the sight, it is canted slightly to the right.

I picked it up used from the EE. Previous owner said it was never shot, and it was in good shape. The lean is very slight however, maybe half a degree, so I live with it. I also purchased a GG&G accucam, and it didn't fix the problem.
Link Posted: 1/25/2006 7:53:39 PM EDT
[#42]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

You hit the nail right on the head!

As I said before and will say again, it could be your receiver that is slightly off.

C4

It's not, my EOTech is with an engineer/gunsmith as we speak trying to get it to sit correct on my YHM riser.  He thinks that the sight is going to have to be shimmed or the rail milled to get it to work!

I just love how you guys think that it is the rifle when you have had neither in your hands to examine them.
Link Posted: 1/26/2006 3:41:56 AM EDT
[#43]
My old 552 sat flush on my Model 1 upper.

My new 511 sits flush on the same gun.

Good luck getting your problems resolved.
Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top