Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
PSA
Member Login

Site Notices
Posted: 11/20/2008 2:28:34 PM EDT
I can get the detachable carry handle for a flattop or I can get just the rear site.

Is the carry handle just for looks now?

If I want to switch between Optic and irons does taking it off lose the zero?

Thanks in advance.
Link Posted: 11/20/2008 2:36:08 PM EDT
You can't (or at least shouldn't) carry a rifle by the BUIS.
Link Posted: 11/20/2008 2:39:23 PM EDT
It looks cool?
Link Posted: 11/20/2008 2:39:35 PM EDT
Originally Posted By crazymoose:

You can carry it with a sling though. . . so it there really any need for a carry handle?  I think that's what the OP is getting at.
Link Posted: 11/20/2008 2:42:21 PM EDT
Whatever floats your boat (buis or CH) I was taught to never carry your weapon from the carrying handle. Lastly, if you get a quality carry handle or buis as long as you put it back in the same T mark you should not have to re- zero....
Link Posted: 11/20/2008 2:43:42 PM EDT
Originally Posted By Pro2AinPA:
Originally Posted By crazymoose:

You can carry it with a sling though. . . so it there really any need for a carry handle?  I think that's what the OP is getting at.

Pretty much, It seems like it is just for show now.
Link Posted: 11/20/2008 2:45:00 PM EDT
For the most part, a removable carry handle just takes up alot of rail space vs. a BUIS.  You could put one of those old school optic mounts on top of a removable carry handle, but i don't really see the utility of it.  

So basically, yes. The carry handle is just for looks vs. a BUIS that is just the rear sight.  Plus, using the stand alone rear sight allows for effortless co-witnessing of an optic later on.
Link Posted: 11/20/2008 2:50:05 PM EDT
If I were to carry my rifle all day, I'd use a sling instead of holding it by the carry handle.  If I were to use a carry handle, I'd get an A2 upper because it has a larger hole to get your hand into.  Have you tried getting your hand into one of those detachable carry handles?  There's not a lot of room.  Imagin how much tougher it would be if you had gloves.
Link Posted: 11/20/2008 2:55:38 PM EDT
I liked having the ACOG mounted on the carry handle.  You could use the sight handle sites as the backup.  I didn't like the ghost image of the fixed front site in the scope.  Some may say you get a poor cheek weld, but that didn't prevent me from shooting good groups.  Sometimes it's nice to be able to grab the rifle by the handle.
Link Posted: 11/20/2008 2:59:53 PM EDT
Yes. It keeps you from spending huge cash on fancy optics.
Link Posted: 11/20/2008 3:05:19 PM EDT
I have a carry handle on one of my flat tops. If you aren't using optics its nice because it protects the rail from getting banged up.
Link Posted: 11/20/2008 3:12:57 PM EDT
Originally Posted By Yingster:
I can get the detachable carry handle for a flattop or I can get just the rear site.

Is the carry handle just for looks now?

If I want to switch between Optic and irons does taking it off lose the zero?

Thanks in advance.

Shooters are of all makes & types so it depends.

Link Posted: 11/20/2008 3:40:26 PM EDT
If you target shoot - specifically Service Rifle - you must use the iron sights on a carry handle.  It's in the rules.  However, a removable carry handle on an A3 is allowed, I believe.
Link Posted: 11/20/2008 3:43:25 PM EDT
Originally Posted By tpelle:
If you target shoot - specifically Service Rifle - you must use the iron sights on a carry handle.  It's in the rules.  However, a removable carry handle on an A3 is allowed, I believe.

I always read this, but finally started to notice that every match I go to, over half the shooters are shooting match class rifles anyway.  And you're all in the same pool - they don't separate match from service rifle in the rankings or cash awards.  So I'm beginning to question what the point is sticking with service rifle spec??
Link Posted: 11/20/2008 3:59:59 PM EDT
Originally Posted By PUBBOY:
Yes. It keeps you from spending huge cash on fancy optics.

Does not.

3 A2s, 3 ACOGS on em...
Link Posted: 11/20/2008 4:04:43 PM EDT
I just bought one.... I hope they still have a purpose.

Link Posted: 11/20/2008 5:52:43 PM EDT
eh.. just don't by one with a "fixed" carry handle.... they are useless and guess what, they are the cheapest standard AR complete rifle available, wonder why?  maybe nobody buys them?
Link Posted: 11/20/2008 6:16:33 PM EDT
My next build is going to have a detatchable carry handle as its rear sight. I PLAN on keeping that rifle simple, but it's nice to have the option to remove the handle if I change my mind. I already had the handle, and a flattop upper is cheaper than an A2, otherwise I might've gotten an A1 or A2.

-Dan
Top Top