Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 10/10/2004 10:08:39 AM EDT
Direct quote from a book I just read regarding the L1A1 and its development.

"The axis of the bore was as low as possible without turning to a straight stock with raised sights.  The latter option was rejected by FN, since they considered that it would prevent the firer making the best use of cover, which has subsequently proved to the disadvanatage of "staright-line" weapons such as the M16."

What do you guys think of this statement?
Link Posted: 10/10/2004 10:10:40 AM EDT
[#1]
I think you can research stuff to death but in the end it all comes down to you.
Link Posted: 10/10/2004 10:13:57 AM EDT
[#2]
Yeah that could be an issue... but then, a 30 round mag sticking out the bottom will prevent you from getting as low as possible on the ground too.  

How much of a difference is there in the site height though, 1"?  I guess this would be one reason to not mount optics way up on the carry handle.
Link Posted: 10/10/2004 10:17:30 AM EDT
[#3]
How often do you have to take cover low enough that it would be an issue, compared with how often the straight line design comes in handy?
Link Posted: 10/10/2004 10:29:27 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
Yeah that could be an issue... but then, a 30 round mag sticking out the bottom will prevent you from getting as low as possible on the ground too.  

How much of a difference is there in the site height though, 1"?  I guess this would be one reason to not mount optics way up on the carry handle.

Lie down and shoot on your side.

DM1975 said it all.
Link Posted: 10/10/2004 10:29:41 AM EDT
[#5]
We did alot of this type of shooting at the carbine class I took at Blackwater.  Shooting over walls, through holes, on stairs.  It's different, but not impossible.
Link Posted: 10/10/2004 10:39:54 AM EDT
[#6]
Crazy, I was just talking to a Hardcore FAL Fan (I'm a FAL and AR15 owner myself.... but he's the type that has a vehement agression against AR's... you all know the type he
Him: "You know, using an AR-15, you have a higher chance of dying"

Me: "...what?"

Him: "Sight height/bore axis, you have to expose more of your head when firing"

Me: "Seems like semantics, but whatever"  (thinking in my head "Well, that problem is solved with individual body armor, and above all else, training")

But I wasn't up for an argument, so I didn't push it.

Anyway, I guess what I'm saying is, it seems like a dumb/negligable problem that could easily be solved with the use of different things, such as training, body armor, training, different sights, and training?  
Link Posted: 10/10/2004 10:46:56 AM EDT
[#7]
There are alot of fucktards out there that will quote you out of every book out there on what is "the" gospel for self defense but until you have been there and done some of it yourself, whether in training or real life you just don't have a clue.
Link Posted: 10/10/2004 11:08:48 AM EDT
[#8]
maybe
bu i would think that a flatop w/ aimpoint would be just as low

but i'll take thje m-4 jsut to be safe
Link Posted: 10/10/2004 11:16:06 AM EDT
[#9]
One thing I must note about this book is that the author is British and it was published in Britain.
Link Posted: 10/10/2004 11:50:22 AM EDT
[#10]
Or you could do like those GIs in that Nam clip, where they keep their head down in the hole, stick the rifle above the rim, and dump the mag.
Link Posted: 10/10/2004 11:56:57 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
Crazy, I was just talking to a Hardcore FAL Fan (I'm a FAL and AR15 owner myself.... but he's the type that has a vehement agression against AR's... you all know the type ) yesterday, and he was telling me the same thing.

Him: "You know, using an AR-15, you have a higher chance of dying"

Me: "...what?"

Him: "Sight height/bore axis, you have to expose more of your head when firing"

Ask him when and where he got is CIB. Otherwise his rap is just gunshop commando crappola.
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top