Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Site Notices
11/24/2017 4:44:23 PM
11/22/2017 10:05:29 PM
Posted: 10/24/2004 12:14:05 AM EST
For all you guys that have a flat top upper and a standard A2 front sight, does that front sight get in the way of using your optics? It seems to me that the front sight post would be in the way.

The only red dot sight I have is on my AR10 and I have flip up front and rear sights, and I think it would bug me to have that front sight base blocking my view through the aimpoint.

What say ye?
Link Posted: 10/24/2004 12:32:56 AM EST
Not a problem with my Aimpoint, but if the sun is reflecting on the fsb while I am using my ACOG its a small annoyance.
Link Posted: 10/24/2004 7:05:07 AM EST
As to the magnified optics such as ACOG's: You will only notice the front sight base if you really look hard for it. I've never known anybody who found it a bother.

On the the zero-magnification optics such as Aimpoints and EO's: That's an altogether different matter. Individuals vary tremendously in their capacity to tolerate visual clutter. For instance, I have no problem with the front sight in the same plane as the dot optic as long as I have a fold-down rear iron. I shot with a guy yesterday who had both front and fixed rear BUIS in the same plane. He shot splendidly with this setup but, when I tried it it took me forever plus ten minutes to get a good shot off.

I've also known guys who were driven bongo-fuck by having just the front sight in the same plane as the electronic sight. The fix for this is to go to both fold-down irons or to raise the optic such that the irons appear in the lower 1/3 of the optic window.

In short; Nobody in the world can answer YOUR question. You're just going to have to try different setups and see what works for YOU. Nobody else's opinion on what works for THEM means jack squat.

Luck,

SD
Link Posted: 10/24/2004 12:49:52 PM EST
My FSB is dead center in the way of my 8-32x44 scope, but at 8x the FSB disappears completely. I cannot even see a shadow.
Link Posted: 10/24/2004 12:52:33 PM EST
I must be part of the small percentage that sees the shadow of the front sight when looking through my TA-31A ACOG. Then again, I see the refresh lines on monitors...Anyway, for me, it's very distracting...distracting to the point where I'm probably going to sell the Colt M-4 upper (maybe the entire rifle) and go with something like an MRP with flip up sights.
Link Posted: 10/24/2004 12:55:40 PM EST
The FSB virtually disappears on magnified optics; on 1x you (should) have both eyes open which also help it mentally disappear.

SailorDude hit it right on. If you notice it (and you have to look for it), its not that big of a problem. You need to try it first before you buy, and see what works for you.
Top Top