Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Site Notices
9/22/2017 12:11:25 AM
Posted: 5/10/2003 3:28:19 PM EDT
I took my AR out for the first time last weekend. After busting off a few hundred rounds, I noticed that the black finish was slightly chipped off just behind the ejection port. I guess it was from the fired brass coming out and hitting the deflector.

Is this normal, or is the finish on my rifle substandard? It's a small patch of bare metal just behind the ejection port.

-Nick Viejo.
Link Posted: 5/10/2003 3:41:23 PM EDT
Normal
Link Posted: 5/10/2003 3:54:39 PM EDT
If it is brass residue(easy to tell) it will come off with a little solvent and a soft toothbrush.
Link Posted: 5/10/2003 4:11:28 PM EDT
Normal..
Link Posted: 5/10/2003 4:16:38 PM EDT
Some guys put on a piece of sticky back velcro on the brass deflector to keep it from scratching. But heck, that is like putting a car bra on your 4x4. Duh.
Link Posted: 5/10/2003 4:16:52 PM EDT
Happens on mine too. It's normal. If it really bugs you, you can get a case deflector cover. It's a little rubber hood that fits over it. I don't know anybody who actually uses those though. Only for safe queens is my guess.
Link Posted: 5/10/2003 5:13:00 PM EDT
Well, I'm glad to hear it's normal. Thanks for the replies. I'm not going to put any tape or anything on it because the finish is already chipped and I figure if I have a patch of velcro or a patch of bare metal there, either way it doesn't look "right" so what's the difference. Thanks again.
Link Posted: 5/10/2003 5:26:57 PM EDT
If it's where I think it is, right on the sharp edge at the base of the brass deflector, it is bare metal, and not brass smears. It's usual; they all get it right there. Sometimes I think it's from the case hitting that edge just right (or wrong) as it comes out; and sometimes I think it's the edge of the dust cover hitting that edge as it opens, but it happens to all ARs and M16s; even the old ones that don't have the case deflector. The older models have a little ridge right at that spot, and they get chipped too. One of the joys of AR ownership[:D]
Top Top