Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 11/19/2008 11:15:29 AM EDT
I took apart my AR for the first time and am wondering if it matters the direction the lugs on the bolt are before I put it into the bolt carrier group.  It seems if I twist it 180 before setting the retaining pin it could make a huge difference.
Link Posted: 11/19/2008 11:16:28 AM EDT
[#1]
Yes the ejector has to go away from the port.
Link Posted: 11/19/2008 11:18:35 AM EDT
[#2]
With both of mine, the cam pin (you said retaining pin but I assume you meant this) will only go into the bolt from one side.  As someone else said, the ejector should be away from the ejection port and the extractor should be adjacent to the port.
Link Posted: 11/19/2008 11:20:18 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

So when I reassemble and the bolt is inside the rifle and I look through the ejection port, the  ejector should be infornt of me or not visible?
Link Posted: 11/19/2008 11:23:21 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Quoted:

So when I reassemble and the bolt is inside the rifle and I look through the ejection port, the  ejector should be infornt of me or not visible?

The ejector should be visible, but across the bolt (on the left side of the gun), on the opposite side of the ejection port.
Link Posted: 11/19/2008 11:24:56 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Quoted:

If you stop and think about how the rifle works, mechanically, it should become apparent. That's what I do.

Think about how the ejector works. It's that little pin on the bolt face that pushes the cartridge up and off to the side.

Put the bolt in so that when the ejector pushes the cartridge out, it tilts it up and out of the ejection port. To do so, the ejector will have to be on the side OPPOSITE the ejection port. The extractor claw, on the other hand will be facing toward the ejection port.

Link Posted: 11/19/2008 11:27:00 AM EDT
[#6]
Now I'm curious, what make of AR do you have, and does the bolt allow the cam pin to go in from either side?
Link Posted: 11/19/2008 11:28:33 AM EDT
[#7]
As already stated. The cam pin will only go in one way, the right way. You can't assemble the bolt into the carrier incorrectly. Line up the cam pin hole on the bolt with the hole in the carrier. If the cam pin won't go in, the bolt is 180 out.
Link Posted: 11/19/2008 11:31:08 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Now I'm curious, what make of AR do you have, and does the bolt allow the cam pin to go in from either side?

Your absolutely right guys. I put the rifle together and when i was looking back i wondered if i made a mistake.  Now that i take it apart, the cam pin will only go in one way. Thanks a ton for your help.
Link Posted: 11/19/2008 5:33:33 PM EDT
[#9]
Think about the mechanics for a minute. It really is a simple design.
Link Posted: 11/19/2008 5:40:44 PM EDT
[#10]
It ought to be like this when assembled correctly:

ETA - People have reported getting poorly machined cam pins bolts* that allowed them to install the bolt 180° out. I imagine that's good for one shot, after which the ejector tries to send the casing out where there's no ejection port.

* corrected after I realized what I'd said wrong
Link Posted: 11/20/2008 2:17:17 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
With both of mine, the cam pin (you said retaining pin but I assume you meant this) will only go into the bolt from one side.

If it's a milspec bolt, but there are some cheap ass commercial pieces out there that you can insert the pin on either end. I once had a Rock River bolt (for about 2 weeks) that you could do that with.  Since then I use nothing but Colt bolts.

Link Posted: 11/20/2008 5:54:00 AM EDT
[#12]
One little trick kinda off subject, but you can mark the front of the cam pin forward edge with a line so you will always put it in the same way and it will wear the same side. This really is not necessary, but it allows exact reassembly wear.
Link Posted: 11/20/2008 12:01:30 PM EDT
[#13]
Don't know if I'm remembering wrong, but I thought my USMC Colt M-16A1 could have the cam inserted with the bolt 180 degrees out. (20 + years ago so I'm not sure)
Link Posted: 11/20/2008 12:08:29 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
It ought to be like this when assembled correctly:
http://i150.photobucket.com/albums/s95/MMcfpd/762x39_AR_bolt_ready.jpg

ETA - People have reported getting poorly machined cam pins bolts* that allowed them to install the bolt 180° out. I imagine that's good for one shot, after which the ejector tries to send the casing out where there's no ejection port.

* corrected after I realized what I'd said wrong

+1
Link Posted: 11/20/2008 1:00:14 PM EDT
[#15]
That is one clean bolt. I better get out the CLP.
Link Posted: 11/20/2008 1:46:28 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Your absolutely right guys. I put the rifle together and when i was looking back i wondered if i made a mistake.  Now that i take it apart, the cam pin will only go in one way. Thanks a ton for your help.

Don't worry we all had to learn!

Link Posted: 11/20/2008 2:03:12 PM EDT
[#17]
I always look into the bolt carrier with the bolt installed and look for those depressions on either side of the hole.
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top