Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Lights and Lasers
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 4/16/2011 4:47:57 AM EDT
Now that reliable and affordable tactical lights are a lot more common - was just thinking of doing a lightweight upper build using the MagPul MOE middy handguards and their light mount kit . Maybe go with two TLR1's on either side for a true ambi - lighting option for when transitioning to support side cover is needed.   Actually would really like 2 SF MiniScouts .  I'd be saving a ton of money on the lesser priced MOE handguards and that would free up enough dough to go with 2 Surefires.  Would be cool if Mount -n- Slot offered a tandem Mini Scout mount option for the MOE like the one the presently have ....

http://store.impactweaponscomponents.com/tmcsclimo.html

Or mybe go with two Gear Sector mounts on the MOE light mount rails ....

http://www.gearsector.com/view/product/217/

http://dsgarms.com/ProductInfo/MAG402BLK.aspx

Any thooughts?

J223...
Link Posted: 4/16/2011 4:53:08 AM EDT
[#1]
Like you said, now that reliable lights are available, I don't see a point. I've always run my light the same way, at the 6 o' clock, all the way out towards the muzzle. No matter what side you transition to, the light is going to see whatever the muzzle does.
Link Posted: 4/16/2011 5:03:34 AM EDT
[#2]
unless you are doing one IR and one visible, no, why would you do that?

get ambi controls for one GOOD light.

also, you can get switching IR/visible lights now in one package.  however, larue does make a setup for 2 lights if thats how you want to go.
Link Posted: 4/16/2011 5:10:13 AM EDT
[#3]
The MOE's are better suited to mounting at the 9 or 3 o'clock positions .  Talking only about the MOE's .  6 o'clock on shorter handguards are not comfortable to toggle for me.  So a light at either side will be faster to activate...

J223...
Link Posted: 4/16/2011 5:38:31 AM EDT
[#4]
High Beam and Low Beam for approaching traffic?
Link Posted: 4/16/2011 4:55:56 PM EDT
[#5]
OK OK - it was a stupid idea.  Just trying to keep my mind off doing work on the house.  I'll just go with an 11"  Troy VTAC Extereme to save the weight and mount it at the 6 like all the others I have.

J223...
Link Posted: 4/16/2011 10:22:40 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 4/16/2011 10:40:23 PM EDT
[#7]
What, no one remembers the AOTTC DVD extras?
Link Posted: 4/17/2011 8:50:46 PM EDT
[#8]
I plan to run 2 on my rifle.  

I just ordered a Surefire E2DL and will soon get a mount.  I don't have the money for 2 lights so I'm thinking about buying LaRue's double light mount and just running one on it for now..  I don't see anything wrong with pulling one set of rings off the mount until I get a second light.

2 lights will get heavy though...
Link Posted: 4/18/2011 10:06:05 PM EDT
[#9]
I run two lights.  An E2DL and a 6PDL in a larue double mount.  I have my reasons because it's actually a work rifle but I also don't put a whole lot of stock in what most people on the internet think of it.  

How many times has a flashlight gone dead while you were right in the middle of using it?  More times than I can count for me.

If you feel that it's a viable option for your particular use, then I think it'd be kinda dumb not to at least try it.
Link Posted: 4/19/2011 7:48:28 PM EDT
[#10]
I would only want two lights for hi low. My M951 with the Malkoff M61 is way to bright for inside use. Hit one white wall and your blind. So I grabbed the Surefire red filter. Down to 70 red lumens vs 260 white. Works good for nav light and is still plenty bright for IDing targets indoors. Flips out of the way when you need to see into the next state. If there was a small led light that would mount to the fsp, barrel, or rail, I'd look hard at it for a second weapon light. But just for long run time and low lumens for nav.

As far as two weapon lights, you are adding a lot of weight there.
Link Posted: 4/19/2011 8:01:04 PM EDT
[#11]
If you count IR, I do. Perfect for coons and other pests around the property.

Link Posted: 4/30/2011 9:48:23 AM EDT
[#12]
Leapers Laser Rings

Fenix E01

I could not see mounting 2 heavy primary lights, when today's quality of flashlights are as high as they are. However, what man makes will break, so I do hold fast to the 2 is 1, 1 is none mantra.

Yes, the Fenix E01 is not an extremely bright light. However, its TINY, VERY LIGHT WEIGHT, and its inexpensive. Load it up with a Lithium AAA and you've got a reliable backup light in case your primary fails. And  the light output is plenty for room clearing. If you're in a position where your life depends on being able to see, the E01 in that cheap small mount is worth it to me.

H.
Link Posted: 4/30/2011 12:20:19 PM EDT
[#13]
Does the E01 fit in that "laser" ring thing?
Link Posted: 4/30/2011 12:45:56 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Does the E01 fit in that "laser" ring thing?

Yep.. That's why I included the link to it.
Link Posted: 4/30/2011 7:26:31 PM EDT
[#15]

Two lights works for me. I had one go out on me on duty - I don't want that to happen again.
Link Posted: 4/30/2011 10:20:18 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
OK OK - it was a stupid idea.  Just trying to keep my mind off doing work on the house.  I'll just go with an 11"  Troy VTAC Extereme to save the weight and mount it at the 6 like all the others I have.

J223...

I would look hard at mounting an X300 or TLR1 (even though I can't stand a TLR1) at the 12 o'clock position. You will throw less shadow that way.
Link Posted: 5/1/2011 5:42:07 AM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

J223...

It's not a stupid idea.

It definitely has merit, and purpose.

I don't do it, I don't need to, doesn't fit my lifestyle. Just ask yourself if it fits yours.

Whenever I look at gear on a rack or a weapon I think "Is this here because I need to use it? Or am I looking for reasons to use this because I have it on here?"
Link Posted: 5/1/2011 5:50:46 AM EDT
[#18]
Link Posted: 5/1/2011 4:28:18 PM EDT
[#19]
Link Posted: 5/1/2011 11:25:50 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

J223...

Not necessarily.  Chris Costa discusses it in The Magpul Dynamics DVD: Art of the Tactical Carbine.
If you could create one light that has two bulbs, maybe square-ish, like an OTAL, you could probably make a few bucks off us.

Link Posted: 5/1/2011 11:38:04 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v346/parapyropig/IMG_0929.jpg
Two lights works for me. I had one go out on me on duty - I don't want that to happen again.

I'm considering keeping my Olight M20 mounted up by the barrel, and my back up Streamlight TRL-1 stowed on my CAA stock (has a picatinny rail on the right side) for my duty weapon.
Link Posted: 5/2/2011 5:00:28 PM EDT
[#22]
Page AR-15 » Lights and Lasers
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top