Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 10/26/2013 5:40:48 PM EDT
Lack of chrome chamber seems to be the consensus of what cause problem in early Vietanm war with the rifles. Does anyone know if any of these non chrome chamber guns still exist?
Link Posted: 10/26/2013 6:52:21 PM EDT
[#1]
Seems there was a plethora of issues; a real cluster-fuck that cost many kids barely out of high school their lives.
The Saga of the M16 in Vietnam Part 1
The Saga of the M16 in Vietnam Part 2
Link Posted: 10/26/2013 6:56:17 PM EDT
[#2]
I thought it was their cleaning process that caused malfunctions.
Link Posted: 10/26/2013 7:03:09 PM EDT
[#3]
You can get non-chromed barrels from any number of retailers.

Most as sold as "chrome-moly" without the mention of chrome lining.

Chrome moly and chrome lined are not the same. Chrome-moly is the steel type. Chrome lined is a plating applied, usually to a chrome moly, or chrome moly vandadium barrel.
Link Posted: 10/26/2013 7:12:43 PM EDT
[#4]
There are Guys in the Retro section that own original 601's and repro 601's on newer semi lowers with orig parts.

There was also issues with the powder type used in the ammo as well.
It was not all the lack of chrome lining.
Link Posted: 10/26/2013 7:17:38 PM EDT
[#5]
My 604 lacks a chrome chamber and bore, always been 100% reliable and really accurate
Link Posted: 10/27/2013 12:22:12 PM EDT
[#6]
Well guys, I'm talking authentic select fire M16s issued to troops in Vietnam. I figure there's somebody out there who who autos who might have one originally NOT chrome chambered. And I'm going by the tales of the gun show about the M16 which states lack of chrome chamber was the problem due to casings swelling overnight in the chamber making it impossible to extract the round and chamber a new one.
Link Posted: 10/27/2013 12:22:51 PM EDT
[#7]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
My 604 lacks a chrome chamber and bore, always been 100% reliable and really accurate
View Quote

Authentic select fire 604 or built later?
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top