Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 10/18/2004 6:45:02 PM EDT
This claims they are much better and brighter than red ones, and it has a much greater distance range?

Anyone have any experiences with them?

http://www.centuriontactical.com/laser-sight-green.htm
Link Posted: 10/18/2004 6:46:31 PM EDT
[#1]
I know there's a laser and light's forum, try there
Link Posted: 10/18/2004 6:47:07 PM EDT
[#2]
I've used a green laser pointer before. Yes, they are very bright and do a great job standing out against most any background. Why you'd want one on an AR though is beyond me unless you want to give your position away.
Link Posted: 10/18/2004 6:48:30 PM EDT
[#3]
green > red

about lasers on firearms.

Lasers work both ways!
Link Posted: 10/18/2004 6:53:02 PM EDT
[#4]
the green lasers are cool and all, but you can see the beam and not just the end point like w/ red ones. sort of makes for a "light sbaer" effect.  cool to play around with, but not for mounting on an ar....it would be like covering your weapon in glow-in-the-dark-reflective-tape
Link Posted: 10/18/2004 6:56:36 PM EDT
[#5]
[dr evil] btw, it's "LASER" [/dr evil]      

Link Posted: 10/18/2004 7:17:53 PM EDT
[#6]
Thanks for all the replies.
Link Posted: 10/18/2004 7:26:46 PM EDT
[#7]
WHAT UP YO?

Sorry I could not resist.
Link Posted: 10/18/2004 7:34:58 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
the green lasers are cool and all, but you can see the beam and not just the end point like w/ red ones. sort of makes for a "light sbaer" effect.  cool to play around with, but not for mounting on an ar....it would be like covering your weapon in glow-in-the-dark-reflective-tape

That's complete BS. The only time you have a "light saber" effect is when there is something for the laser (which is essentially light) to reflect off of. If you take some baking flour, throw it in the air, and shine any light source through it, you'll get that effect. The part about it being like covering your gun in glow in the dark tape is true. They stand out very well which is why they make great presentation tools and horrible tactical aids.
Link Posted: 10/18/2004 7:37:14 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
This claims they are much better and brighter than red ones, and it has a much greater distance range?

Anyone have any experiences with them?

http://www.centuriontactical.com/laser-sight-green.htm

We use green light lasers to burn enlarged prostates.  Those are brighter...........
Link Posted: 10/18/2004 7:41:50 PM EDT
[#10]
I am a military instructor, and I use a green pointer everyday while instructing. The green stands out much better than the red pointers do.

Why you would want one on a gun is beyond me though. Leave that for the movie people on Alien Vs. Predator.
Link Posted: 10/18/2004 8:20:21 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

hinesthe same effect would be had on a flash light, or any light source of any color
Link Posted: 10/18/2004 8:22:51 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

Quoted:

That's complete BS. The only time you have a "light saber" effect is when there is something for the laser (which is essentially light) to reflect off of. If you take some baking flour, throw it in the air, and shine any light source through it, you'll get that effect. The part about it being like covering your gun in glow in the dark tape is true. They stand out very well which is why they make great presentation tools and horrible tactical aids.

Luke, I am your father <whoooshhhhh, whooooshhhhh>
Link Posted: 10/18/2004 8:27:52 PM EDT
[#13]
I use a Beta Green Laster. It's 624nm so it's very visable. Side by side with a Red, it's visable at over three times the distance. I can point the Green one up in the night sky and you can see the entire beam not just what ever it hits. That has it's down side because if you don't want to be seen as easy, you won't want this laser. There is also places where you can buy the "legal" laser pointers and they will sell you a different crystal for it to make it even brighter. I like mine. I think you can find the crystal at http://www.z-bolt.com if I remember right.

Semper Fi
Link Posted: 10/18/2004 9:19:39 PM EDT
[#14]
WUZZZZZZZZZZZ UPPPPPPPPPPPPPP
Link Posted: 10/19/2004 12:04:33 AM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:
I can point the Green one up in the night sky and you can see the entire beam not just what ever it hits.

Then you are shining it through hazy atmostphere.  There cannot be a beam otherwise, it would violate the laws of physics and the whole principal behind lasers.  They do no give your position away unless the beam hits atmostpheric haze, natural or unnatural (like smoke).  If it's clear, the only thing you can see is spot it makes, and the emitter itself if it's pointed at or near your eyes, or it's hitting something in the housing which would be simple poor design. I stand corrected, the green beam has a such a more pronounced effect, the beam is visible even when clear.

Red lasers "beams" are no different than red, all visible lasers act the same way, the green is no more visible.  Lasers are lasers, they don't vary in how they operate between visible colors.  If you don't think so you must not have taken or remember physics in grade school.  You may notice green lasers more simply because eyes are more sensitive to it and the color is more unnatural.

Green is brighter to the human eye because it's closer to the frequency range that the eye is most sensitive to.  Check the Lights and laser forum, this and much more is all hashed out there, no point in repeating it all here.

Visible lasers on an AR can be useful, but the uses are limited.  Most of us would never need it or employ it effectively, but then again some will.

I can tell you this, it's an awesome cat toy - it's like crack to them...
Link Posted: 10/19/2004 12:26:24 AM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

Quoted:
I can point the Green one up in the night sky and you can see the entire beam not just what ever it hits.

Then you are shining it through hazy atmostphere.  There cannot be a beam otherwise, it would violate the laws of physics and the whole principal behind lasers.  They do no give your position away unless the beam hits atmostpheric haze, natural or unnatural (like smoke).  If it's clear, the only thing you can see is spot it makes, and the emitter itself if it's pointed at or near your eyes, or it's hitting something in the housing which would be simple poor design.

They DON'T? I just took this. I live in New Mexico. Extreamly LOW humidity. No Smoke, No hase.... Well I'll let the photograph do the talking. Someone needs to understand physics a little more.

Link Posted: 10/19/2004 1:49:22 AM EDT
[#17]
There is something in the atmostphere you are lasing.  The laser you are using is powerful enough and a sensitive enough frequency that the minute particles in the air, smaller than you can see with the naked eye, are being hit with coherent photons and reflected back towards your eyes as well as elsewhere.  It is far more apparent with green lasers than red.  If there were no particles in the way, you could lase the moon if you had a perfect laser with no divergence.

All the light you see being thrown off from the source and the beam diminishes your beam.  The whole point of a laser is to get all the energy to hit the target, not get sapped off going in other directions.  All those photons that you see are not hitting the target.  Normally this would be an undesireable effect because it limits your range. In a perfect vacuum with no particles, it would not be possible to see the beam.  Collimated light can only reflect, that's what you are seeing.

I admit the greenies are much easy to see the deflections from the particles in the air but they still follow physics.  I had forgotten how much more pronounced the effect was with greens but they still operate as any other laser, the physics don't change, just the apparent effect to the eye.  The more particles, the better you are going to see the beam but the shorter the range.
Link Posted: 10/19/2004 2:15:19 AM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Then you are shining it through hazy atmostphere.  There cannot be a beam otherwise, it would violate the laws of physics and the whole principal behind lasers.  They do no give your position away unless the beam hits atmostpheric haze, natural or unnatural (like smoke).  If it's clear, the only thing you can see is spot it makes, and the emitter itself if it's pointed at or near your eyes, or it's hitting something in the housing which would be simple poor design. I stand corrected, the green beam has a such a more pronounced effect, the beam is visible even when clear.

Red lasers "beams" are no different than red, all visible lasers act the same way, the green is no more visible.  Lasers are lasers, they don't vary in how they operate between visible colors.  If you don't think so you must not have taken or remember physics in grade school.  You may notice green lasers more simply because eyes are more sensitive to it and the color is more unnatural.

Green is brighter to the human eye because it's closer to the frequency range that the eye is most sensitive to.  Check the Lights and laser forum, this and much more is all hashed out there, no point in repeating it all here.

Visible lasers on an AR can be useful, but the uses are limited.  Most of us would never need it or employ it effectively, but then again some will.

I can tell you this, it's an awesome cat toy - it's like crack to them...

Wow, I didnt get to physics until high shool, what school did you go to
Link Posted: 10/19/2004 2:39:33 AM EDT
[#19]
Physics was part of our science class in 6th grade, guess you took a little longer
Link Posted: 10/19/2004 4:06:24 AM EDT
[#20]
Depends on the strength. I have a green laser pointer, but I can not see the beam any more than a red laser.  but it is a low power green laser.

I am looking forward to blue lasers.  they are out now, but the cheapest one is about $400
Link Posted: 10/19/2004 5:07:40 AM EDT
[#21]
The color green is in the middle of the visible spectrum.
It is the easiest color to see, along with yellow.
Link Posted: 10/19/2004 8:32:40 AM EDT
[#22]
Black Heart,
Your hitting dust particles in the air, you can't see any wavelength light without reflection.  If you took that laser into free space or a vacuum, you would never see it.

Green lasers have a wavelenght of about 532nm, the peak sensitivity of the human eye happens to be close to that at 555nm.

So yes, to a person a green laser would appear about 4-5x brighter than a red unit (for a laser diode).  So a 5mW green laser could be equivelant to a 150mW red laser.

The technology to lase this wavelength is more expensive and more complicated. Beware that some green units are not CW (constant wavelength or always on) type and are pulsed at a low frequency, I don't think you would see one of them in a weapon site application.

Also, I think the power consumption on green laser is typically greater, especially for the CW types.

On a side note:
I have tried laser sights on bows, rifles, and handguns, I never found an added advantage in them.
I can't shoot more precise or accurately with a laser sight.  My reaction time is slower with a laser. They are very limited in usage to what environment you are in.  IMHO I think they are a novelty when it comes to using them for human sighted small arms.  
Link Posted: 10/19/2004 10:28:52 AM EDT
[#23]
An acquaintence of mine has a super jury-rigged power-increased 30-45mW green laser .. we took it outside ona  clear night .. and it was a FREAKING LIGHTSABER

I mean we could point out individual stars with that thing.

TRULY unbelievable.  I'm probably going to order one from Canada or the UK.
Link Posted: 10/19/2004 10:54:24 AM EDT
[#24]
nobody is talking about a vacuum, darth.

did the lightsaber thing in my buddy's brightly lit apt.

only way i've ever seen to wear out an italian greyhound!
Link Posted: 10/19/2004 10:55:23 AM EDT
[#25]
The Death Star had green lasers...
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top