Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 10/7/2004 12:00:16 PM EDT
I have seen DPMS "DCM" model AR's for sale for under $900. Does anyone have any experience(good or bad) with these? It would seem they would be a pretty inexpensive way to get into Service Rifle competiton. I know a Bushmaster can be purchased from the CMP for around the same money. People that i've spoken to who have gotten an AR through the CMP said that it took
quite a while to get it.  I'm just curious about the DPMS. Thanks.
Link Posted: 10/7/2004 12:19:33 PM EDT
[#1]
They are setup some what confusing.

The DCM models(Or CMP) most company sells has all the goodies.

SS 1/8 twist barrel
free floated handguards
NM sights

The DPMS setup however does not come with teh free float handguard. But their DCP upper does?

I would buy from Bushmaster or Armalite.

Check out this test. Certain models in the test have changed since then.

www.gun-tests.com/performance/sept97armalite.html
Link Posted: 10/8/2004 6:27:23 AM EDT
[#2]
Thanks for the reply. That does seem strange about the float tube. I e-mailed DPMS about clarification on that.  Still waiting to hear back.

Does anybody have any experience with these?
Link Posted: 10/8/2004 6:28:51 AM EDT
[#3]
My father has a DPMS DCM/CMP upper he runs on his frankengun. I am convinced it is capable of shooting up to Master-level without too much trouble. The only things I can say about it are that it has a tight chamber and batters the firing-pin retainer for some reason.

I mention the chamber issue because if you get into doing alot of competition, you will be reloading and the DPMS needs a Small Base die and you should gauge your ammo before using it. Otherwise get one and go shoot.

However, I have an Armalite DCM myself and feel that it is worth the extra clams to find one. Shoots well, is chambered such that it readily digests reloads and has a great out-of-the-box trigger. Once the barrel is gone it is going to a custom smith for some fine-tuning, but it will get to the top without outside help. Also check out RRAs National Match models. They have a strong reputation as well.
Link Posted: 10/8/2004 6:48:25 AM EDT
[#4]
I have a DPMS DCM upper and the handguard came free floated.  You'll find the workmanship and quality of this gun to be as good as the other two mentioned.

It is the most accurate upper I own and I couldn't be happier.  

Great price, great quality!
Link Posted: 10/8/2004 6:57:28 AM EDT
[#5]
Thanks for the reply. I have a Rock River DCM  that I am very pleased with. I'm actually inquring for a buddy who wants to purchase an AR. I am trying to convince him to spend a little extra money and purchase a DCM model. Our club sponsors CMP shoots and that way he can get started on the cheap. I am inquiring about the DPMS DCM because I don't know anyone who shoots this particular model. I would like to know if it would be a good "DCM" rifle for the money.
I'm looking for feedback on this particular model. Thanks again.
Link Posted: 10/8/2004 8:01:21 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
Thanks for the reply. I have a Rock River DCM  that I am very pleased with. I'm actually inquring for a buddy who wants to purchase an AR. I am trying to convince him to spend a little extra money and purchase a DCM model. Our club sponsors CMP shoots and that way he can get started on the cheap. I am inquiring about the DPMS DCM because I don't know anyone who shoots this particular model. I would like to know if it would be a good "DCM" rifle for the money.
I'm looking for feedback on this particular model. Thanks again.

That should tell you something.
Link Posted: 10/8/2004 8:09:32 AM EDT
[#7]
I was told by Lew Tippie to either get a DPMS or Armalite for a CMP rifle. That should tell you something.
Link Posted: 10/8/2004 8:27:06 AM EDT
[#8]
I have a DPMS DCM upper I got from MidwayUSA, actually.

Freefloated handguards came as part of the deal, 1/8 ss barrel and NM front sight.   THe rear sight was not a hooded NM sight, so I swapped  that out.

It shoots sub moa with Bhills match ammo (.75moa)

Its superb.
I landed up getting a DPMS lower to put it on so it was all matching.

I'd say its a great upper, with great accuracy!
Link Posted: 10/8/2004 9:37:58 AM EDT
[#9]
O.K.....So it sounds like the DCM upper is good. Can anybody tell me about the trigger group? Is it a competition style? Anybody have any problems with it?
Link Posted: 10/8/2004 11:03:05 AM EDT
[#10]
I just heard back from Shane C. at DPMS. He stated that the DCM RIFLE has the free float tube installed. If anyone is interested.....
Link Posted: 10/8/2004 1:26:50 PM EDT
[#11]
I have a DPMS CMP upper (they call it the Panther CMP) dpmsinc.com and it is damn accurate.  Tight chamber, not on mine.  It has functioned perfectly and is easy sub MOA when I do my part.  SS 1-8 twist, free floated handguard, etc.  

Put on a Turner sling, add a buttstock weight, and you are good to go....  

Fit and finish on all my DPMS uppers and lowers is excellent.  I would recommend!!  

WTR
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top