Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 1/17/2006 5:59:02 AM EDT
I read several posts recently related to people buying cheaper ammo by the case to save money then going to the range and shooting 500 to 1000 rounds at a time.  My question is why?  If they are shooting that much are they dumping clips or acquiring or sharping skills?  What happened to accurate aimed fire?  Even if multiple targets at multiple ranges are involved it would seem questionable.  What do you think?
Link Posted: 1/17/2006 6:04:49 AM EDT
[#1]

Quoted:
My question is why?  

Why not?

If that's what turns 'em on, more power to 'em.

Personally, I like to shoot for groups....I can spend all afternoon and shoot 100 rounds. What others do is their business.
Link Posted: 1/17/2006 6:08:18 AM EDT
[#2]
Ill admit when I first got my AR my old boss gave me 1000 rds of surplus and a friend and I put it through the gun in about 2 days at the local outdoor range but we were shooting frozen turkeys and other cool stuff, now its more like 40-50 rds per trip.
Link Posted: 1/17/2006 6:13:53 AM EDT
[#3]
I am sure that I am not speaking for the majority of arfcom, but there is training for marksmanship/accuracy, training, tactics and response... each is important and the means to the end.

It is not uncommon during some response and tactics training for a team member to go through 500 to 1000 rounds a day, one course that I went through not long ago had a 1300 *minimum* round count, but we were advised to bring 1500... one day.

Many would not believe it, but an average week of firearms training for some teams invloves tens of thousands of rounds of ammunition, several thousand per team member.

Average arfcom user? Probably justs having fun though... heck, why not?
Link Posted: 1/17/2006 6:21:26 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
.....now its more like 40-50 rds per trip.

Wow, only 40-50 rds? I average 180-210 rounds per range session. No stupid shit like bumb-firing, just aimed target practice, and occasional soda can shooting up against a hill side. I love hitting em’ just right so that they jump up 15-20 feet in the air!
Link Posted: 1/17/2006 6:53:21 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

Quoted:
My question is why?  

Why not?

If that's what turns 'em on, more power to 'em.

Personally, I like to shoot for groups....I can spend all afternoon and shoot 100 rounds. What others do is their business.

I did not mean for it to be a right or wrong issue just to gain a better understanding of why.
Link Posted: 1/17/2006 6:57:14 AM EDT
[#6]
I average about 100 rounds per range trip with both handguns and long guns.
Link Posted: 1/17/2006 7:06:21 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
I read several posts recently related to people buying cheaper ammo by the case to save money then going to the range and shooting 500 to 1000 rounds at a time.  My question is why?  If they are shooting that much are they dumping clips or acquiring or sharping skills?  What happened to accurate aimed fire?  Even if multiple targets at multiple ranges are involved it would seem questionable.  What do you think?

Most AR-15s I know use magazines.  

I go through about 200-400 rounds each time I go to the range.  Warm up and make sure my sights are good first, so I'll do a mag or two of 3 round groups.  Then I might do some quick shooting drills at my bowling pins, maybe even some random rapid fire.  One of my ARs won't even bump and the other one isn't very good at it, so I just rapid fire.  Mag dumps are fun.

Link Posted: 1/17/2006 7:07:29 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

Quoted:
.....now its more like 40-50 rds per trip.

Wow, only 40-50 rds? I average 180-210 rounds per range session. No stupid shit like bumb-firing, just aimed target practice, and occasional soda can shooting up against a hill side. I love hitting em’ just right so that they jump up 15-20 feet in the air!

Yea its 40-50 through the AR then I usually shoot 50-100 9mm through the Kahr which is my carry gun to keep brushed up, and 10-15 .300 win mags, It all depends on how much money im willing to spend on ammo.
Link Posted: 1/17/2006 7:08:55 AM EDT
[#9]
I do about 250-300 .223 each range trip
Link Posted: 1/17/2006 7:18:11 AM EDT
[#10]
Sometimes it's fun to just go blasting away and I don't like using my good ammo for that.
Link Posted: 1/17/2006 7:39:39 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I go through about 200-400 rounds each time I go to the range.  Warm up and make sure my sights are good first, so I'll do a mag or two of 3 round groups.  Then I might do some quick shooting drills at my bowling pins, maybe even some random rapid fire.  One of my ARs won't even bump and the other one isn't very good at it, so I just rapid fire.  Mag dumps are fun.

I am building a match target rifle now that wil be used as a single shot for handloaded heavy bullets.
The term magazine can be deceiving depending on its use.  WOA calls their`s a "Bob` SLED".
Link Posted: 1/17/2006 10:23:39 AM EDT
[#12]
If you only poke holes in paper at the range, it may baffle you as to how you might use so much ammo.

Do you shoot and move?  Do you shoot, move and reload?  Do you engage multiple targets while moving, reloading as necessary?  

First, get a good zero.  I like a 50 yard zero, myself.

Set up a course, say 300 m long, paper and steel targets, with shoot and no shoot targets.  Here in the South West, I like to find a nice windy, sandy wash with high sides.  Move 25 yards to engage target A from point 1, move (run) 30 yards to point 2, engage targets B and C while enroute.  1 hit in the A zone for a kill, or two anywhere on the target.  Transition to pistol.  Two more targets.  For time.  Repeat.  Add more targets, or whatever. Subtract 5 seconds for each miss.

Not only is it fun, you'll be smoked when you're done, and you'll go through a lot of ammo.  I tend to load my magazines with 3-5 rounds (randomly) each, so I don't consume quite as much ammo, and get more time practicing my reload.  Reload at a full run.  (I don't do 'tactical' reloads.  That's cop think.  Shoot to slide lock, reload, repeat) I don't know how many rounds are in each mag, so when you feel slide lock it's time to deal with it, wherever you are, whatever you're doing.  It will also motivate you to get your kit sqared away, so you can find mags when it's time to reload.

Don't hurt yourself.
Link Posted: 1/17/2006 10:56:33 AM EDT
[#13]
I bump fire, you know stupid shit. See I set targets out like glass bottles, car rims at about 25 meters, then bump the hell out of them. Scares the hell out of everybody, rounds bouncing back and all, makes em' nervous, and clears the range out in no time.  I can then take over the whole range doing whatever I want, if I see a car pull up, I just start bumping again! If they don't leave right away, I always try the load the magazine backwards trick, or shoot a round five feet in front of me looking over at others on the range like- "didn't know that was going to happen!" Clearns em' out everytime. KIDDING!!!!  

No honestly I shoot for accuracy, dial in each weapon, accordingly, then practice long distance shooting.  I only use a bench for sighting in, then practice offhand shots standing or laying down. What I really concentrate on is double tap groups, then multiple target double taps. If the range is open I might try moving double taps on multiple targets. A friend of mine who just got out of the Marine's, in Iraq, goes with me about every other week.  One thing, practice with your gear on, I am talking about whatever tac vest you use, whatever drop leg holster you might use just so you get used to it. At least ten times a year I go out with all my gear with various friends properties to do land nav, field ops, just as I did when I was in the military but with less running of course! Mostly I just park my butt on a quad all weekend drive around, only hopping off to take a piss- haha.

Creeper
Link Posted: 1/17/2006 10:59:44 AM EDT
[#14]
Who cares?  Shoot all the ammo you want at whatever you want however fast you want.
Link Posted: 1/17/2006 11:44:06 AM EDT
[#15]
If I am shooting semi for accuracy I can easily burn up 200 rounds. Now when I use the happy switch I can easily burn up 2000 in an afternoon.
Pat
0-1-25
Link Posted: 1/17/2006 11:46:59 AM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

Link Posted: 1/17/2006 11:48:14 AM EDT
[#17]
about 300-500 rds per trip is where I'm at.
Link Posted: 1/17/2006 4:13:53 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

Quoted:

ballisticreview.com/images/clipsmags.jpg

Yes and you own Night Force and Tricon, I am proud of you.  Why not picture the clip on a Bic Pen also?

The important part is you feel better now.   Congradulations.
Link Posted: 1/17/2006 4:24:53 PM EDT
[#19]
I don't get to shoot much, so when I do, it is a lot of ammo. I will usually shoot about 1K rounds in an afternoon. However there are many, many bowling pins and other fun items to shoot at, so that ammo goes by quickly.
Link Posted: 1/17/2006 4:36:24 PM EDT
[#20]
I average 100 rounds through the glock, and about 200 through the AR--and I stopped counting how many through my .22 LONG ago. I say do what makes you accurate and happy. seems to be a bit of target talk here too so my two cents. I use clays for "tactical" practice, not thrown mind you, I set them on the hill, I like to see things crumble when shot. I also got in a habit of tossing out golf balls and pluging those, they bounce alot and help you track a moving target. hug.gif
Link Posted: 1/17/2006 4:40:59 PM EDT
[#21]
When I go the range, I shoot till one of two things happens.  I run out of ammo, or I get tired and stop having fun.  Usually I run out of ammo.  I've shot 300 rounds, of aimed shots through my USP/Beretta.  I practice things like: target transition, double tap, distance shots, mag changes, drawing from holster, etc.  Last friday, I went through 300 rounds this way in less than 2 hours (I didn't take any breaks).  This is why I shoot 9mm.  I can't afford to do that with .45.
Link Posted: 1/17/2006 5:15:59 PM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:

But you can load your magazines with clips.  I dump rusted clips all the time, I save the good ones...

So, in a sense, my AR's use clips.
Link Posted: 1/17/2006 5:53:00 PM EDT
[#23]
I try to buy the best ammo I can afford and ammo that I like to shoot (XM193, M855, American Eagle and WWB)

I shoot about 150-200 of 5.56 and about 250-300 of 9mm
Link Posted: 1/17/2006 6:14:47 PM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:

Quoted:

But you can load your magazines with clips.  I dump rusted clips all the time, I save the good ones...

So, in a sense, my AR's use clips.

+1
Link Posted: 1/17/2006 6:21:34 PM EDT
[#25]
A lot of us don't shoot 1k rounds a trip, but still don't feel like spending 22 cents per round to punch paper.  I, for example, might only shoot 100 to 150 rounds some days, but I go often.  If I don't have practice ammo on hand, I can't go shoot the AR, so I aim to have a couple thousand rounds on hand.
Link Posted: 1/17/2006 6:24:28 PM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:
Ill admit when I first got my AR my old boss gave me 1000 rds of surplus and a friend and I put it through the gun in about 2 days at the local outdoor range but we were shooting frozen turkeys and other cool stuff, now its more like 40-50 rds per trip.

I have to ask, why frozen turkeys?
Link Posted: 1/17/2006 6:33:51 PM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:

Quoted:

40 To 50 rounds a trip holy shit. I try to keep it around 500 to 600 total rounds a trip but  most of the time I still end up burning a case.
Link Posted: 1/17/2006 6:38:56 PM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

40 To 50 rounds a trip holy shit. I try to keep it around 500 to 600 total rounds a trip but  most of the time I still end up burning a case.

yeah, but are you shooting frozen turkeys?
Link Posted: 1/17/2006 6:59:03 PM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:

What kind of a pervert are you??
Link Posted: 1/17/2006 7:19:39 PM EDT
[#30]
I have a few thousand round of mil-spec stuff to shoot m'uffers with when SHTF. I shoot WWB or quality reloads for range/practice use.  I occasionally fire rapidly but mostly try to get/keep accuracy decent...  

TS
Link Posted: 1/17/2006 7:28:20 PM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:
I have a few thousand round of mil-spec stuff to shoot m'uffers with when SHTF. I shoot WWB or quality reloads for range/practice use.  I occasionally fire rapidly but mostly try to get/keep accuracy decent...  

TS

Plus 1. A well rounded shooter should be accurate, but should also be able to do good double taps and mag changes.  
Link Posted: 1/18/2006 5:06:12 AM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:

Quoted:

What kind of a pervert are you??

To say your comment is distasteful is an understatement.  The smile face does not change that.
No personal attacks on the forum remember.  If not read the rules.
Link Posted: 1/18/2006 9:50:16 AM EDT
[#33]
I usually shoot 200 to 250 rnds per trip.  All aimed, with slow and rapid firing.  I've never even tried bump firing.  But heck, I can easily spend 100 rnds just plinking the 300 yard gong.

Link Posted: 1/18/2006 10:15:00 AM EDT
[#34]
I like to dump at times to show off the fire power /controlability potential.I like shooting for groups and a like rapid well aimed fire and I wouldnt call a round a second or 2 a dump.When I dump a most often use the AK...let that take the brunt,For groups my M14 type,and for controlled well aimed rapid fire my beloved black carbinethough all 3 are capable of doing all my points maybe except grouping for the AK although I have never shot any type AK at 50 yds that wasnt pretty much dead on.
Link Posted: 1/18/2006 10:30:02 AM EDT
[#35]

Quoted:

WTF do you care? What happened to accurate aimed fire? What happened to minding your hole and letting people just enjoy shooting the way they want to.
Link Posted: 1/18/2006 1:46:01 PM EDT
[#36]

Quoted:
Quoted:

WTF do you care? What happened to accurate aimed fire? What happened to minding your hole and letting people just enjoy shooting the way they want to.[/quote  

Edited to make my answer simplier to understand.

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top