Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 8/30/2010 8:27:01 PM EDT
Ok hear me out. I learned on an A2 and all and can appriciate the AR's sighting system but:

I have a pretty decent short-tube 3-9x made by NCStar. I like the scope for what it is, not having any intention of ever taking my rifle into combat ever (that's what my AK74 would be for). I usually leave the scope at about four power, giving me effectively a poor-man's ACOG.

What I don't like however is how the scope's eye relief is so short that I can't put my normal buis (a DPMS mangonel) in its typical place, but there is a ton of space on the A4 rail up ahead of the optic.

Having trained extensively on the AK as of late, I find myself liking the AK's sight system and figured that throwing a folding sight up in front of my optic would be a lot better and quicker to deploy than leaving my existing sight on the top or quad rail and moving it to it's typical position after ditching the scope, you know, in case I ever need to switch to irons.

I was kind of thinking about getting a Magpul mbus and swapping out the rear leaf, if that's even possible. What do you guys think?
Link Posted: 8/30/2010 8:43:42 PM EDT
[#1]
Put on your thick skin but....

I understand you have an Ak74 that will be your go-to rifle should you ever need one (thats cool).

I think if you have a rifle that will never be used in combat/self defense then why do you need back up irons of any type?  What will you be using that cheapo scope for really...shooting paper targets only?  
 Now to answer your question...You COULD put a magpul buis in front of your scope, but then how small would the apeture be?  If you learned on the A2 then you understand that your nose should be on the charging handle and the rear sight apeture is very close to your eye.  Moving it way out front might make it very difficult to see through and pick up the front sight.  I've not seen this configuration before, and I'm sure there's a reason (it don't work).
Link Posted: 8/30/2010 9:25:31 PM EDT
[#2]
I've never been one to do things conventionally. Mainly because the conventional way is too limited and restrictive. And I think in such a circuitous, right-brained manner that's so far out of the box that I can't even see the box anymore.  

And no, I'm not talking about the A2-type aperture, I mean a V-notch like on an AK or other milsurp gun.

Also, it's better to have it and never need it than the other way around. I'll end up with an ACOG one of these eons, but it's not a priority or anything. Even then, you run into the same problem, the stock ACOG mount sits too far back and the eye relief is too short to really slap any folding buis behind the optic in the standard configuration.

As I tap this reply, I think about buying an mbus and simply replacing the rear aperture with a flat bit of plastic or steel and filing a notch, provided of course an existing, commercial-off-the-shelf option does not already exist.

Lousy iPhone makes it tough to search for anything like I can on my desktop.

Derp spelling.
Link Posted: 8/30/2010 10:05:11 PM EDT
[#3]
Typically manufacturers build IMPROVED sights.....an AK style sight is FAR from improved, I do not think you will find what yer looking for.  Building it yerself will be yer best bet.
Link Posted: 8/31/2010 9:11:14 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:

I've never been one to do things conventionally. Mainly because the conventional way is too limited and restrictive. And I think in such a circuitous, right-brained manner that's so far out of the box that I can't even see the box anymore.  

And no, I'm not talking about the A2-type aperture, I mean a V-notch like on an AK or other milsurp gun.

Also, it's better to have it and never need it than the other way around. I'll end up with an ACOG one of these eons, but it's not a priority or anything. Even then, you run into the same problem, the stock ACOG mount sits too far back and the eye relief is too short to really slap any folding buis behind the optic in the standard configuration.

As I tap this reply, I think about buying an mbus and simply replacing the rear aperture with a flat bit of plastic or steel and filing a notch, provided of course an existing, commercial-off-the-shelf option does not already exist.

Derp spelling.
Wow dude, it's not THAT far fetched.

I had a BUIS in front of my optic on a 9mm carbine. I replaced the aperature with a CSAT model so it was closer to pistol sights:

Halfway down the page:

Also I believe the Canadian and Danish military has or had set up rifles with the rear sight in front of the optic.

Link Posted: 8/31/2010 10:03:37 AM EDT
[#5]
oops, RIF

TXL
Link Posted: 8/31/2010 3:52:42 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Ok hear me out. I learned on an A2 and all and can appriciate the AR's sighting system but:

I have a pretty decent short-tube 3-9x made by NCStar. I like the scope for what it is, not having any intention of ever taking my rifle into combat ever (that's what my AK74 would be for). I usually leave the scope at about four power, giving me effectively a poor-man's ACOG.

What I don't like however is how the scope's eye relief is so short that I can't put my normal buis (a DPMS mangonel) in its typical place, but there is a ton of space on the A4 rail up ahead of the optic.

Having trained extensively on the AK as of late, I find myself liking the AK's sight system and figured that throwing a folding sight up in front of my optic would be a lot better and quicker to deploy than leaving my existing sight on the top or quad rail and moving it to it's typical position after ditching the scope, you know, in case I ever need to switch to irons.

I was kind of thinking about getting a Magpul mbus and swapping out the rear leaf, if that's even possible. What do you guys think?

Having owned two AK's I can;t imagine why you would even think of doing this, but if you're set on it, I'm pretty sure you're going to have to design it and machine it yourself. I assure you, it will not be worth your effort.
Link Posted: 8/31/2010 6:53:45 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Having owned two AK's I can;t imagine why you would even think of doing this, but if you're set on it, I'm pretty sure you're going to have to design it and machine it yourself. I assure you, it will not be worth your effort.

Kinda what I was thinking as well.  I own 13 AKs and have never once wished for those sights on any of my ARs.

Link Posted: 9/1/2010 3:45:48 AM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 9/1/2010 4:02:24 AM EDT
[#9]
Some people put there rear sight up front.....folding and fixed.

Do what you gotta do.
Link Posted: 9/1/2010 9:21:24 AM EDT
[#10]
n/m
Link Posted: 9/1/2010 3:58:56 PM EDT
[#11]
Um, am I missing something. Why would you train/practice with one of the worlds best most accurate and reliable fighting rifles which uses more costly ammo; just so when the time comes you can be proficient with a pos (yes reliable but still a pos next to any decent AR) that shoots substandard ammo and has terrible sights? You may have that backwards. If I were you I would look for AR sights for the AK. Maybe sell the AK and start to build an AR in 5.45x39. You can practice with the but loads of cheap ammo, but still be training on one type of rifle. If you perfer the AK type rifles, just stick to them. Neither is close enough to the other to even make a decent cross trainer. If you chose to keep both, embrace their differences, and learn to use them as they were meant to be used.

And I noticed you use the term "pretty decent" VERY loosely, but  I guess that's another thread.

Link Posted: 9/1/2010 5:43:34 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

I have a pretty decent short-tube 3-9x made by NCStar.

I stopped reading at this point.
Link Posted: 9/5/2010 9:05:10 PM EDT
[#13]
A company called D&L Sports made something like that, it was called "QCB tactical sights."
Link Posted: 9/5/2010 9:25:15 PM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 9/8/2010 4:26:53 AM EDT
[#15]
I do.
I put a Daniel Defense 1.5 rear sight in front of my Aimpoint M3 (it's on my handguard...which needs to be free-floated).
I replaced the aperature with this...

http://www.brownells.com/.aspx/pid=25128/Product/AR_15_M16_CQB_NOTCH_PEEP_SIGHT

...took a 5/32" circular file and "U-ed" out the notch.
Very fast.

I would NOT advocate this if you choose to stick with an aperature.

Dave Luack also sets up rifles along these lines...

http://www.dlsports.com/signature_firearms_ar15.html
Link Posted: 9/8/2010 5:38:12 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

Quoted:

Derp spelling.
Wow dude, it's not THAT far fetched.

I had a BUIS in front of my optic on a 9mm carbine. I replaced the aperature with a CSAT model so it was closer to pistol sights:
Halfway down the page:

Also I believe the Canadian and Danish military has or had set up rifles with the rear sight in front of the optic.

Link Posted: 9/8/2010 10:59:09 AM EDT
[#17]
You need one of these.
Link Posted: 9/8/2010 3:06:45 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
You need one of these.

Why?
He wants to put it on his AR not  an AK.
Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top