Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 9/16/2004 8:24:24 AM EDT
Will it control muzzle climb to any degree?

Link Posted: 9/16/2004 8:32:05 AM EDT
[#1]
If it has ports on the top half, but not on the bottom, I would think it would "slightly" help control muzzle climb. But remember, muzzle climb is not really much of an issue on the ar platform, so it's effect may not be noticeable.
Link Posted: 9/16/2004 8:32:10 AM EDT
[#2]
The old flash hiders doesnt help much as far as muzzle rise, the new modle Phantom that has the A2  like solid botton does help.

TG
Link Posted: 9/16/2004 10:06:57 AM EDT
[#3]
Wrong question guy...

Flash suppressor reduces flash.  examples GI 3-Prong, A1, A2, Vortex, Phantom, others.

Muzzle brake (BRAKE, as in "to stop", not BREAK) reduces recoil by directing some of the gas back at the shooter, really, toward the guys on each side of him on the firing line, severely pissing them off.  examples: Mikulek Brake, Armalite Brake, AK-47 brake, others.  The last thing an AR-15 needs is a muzzle brake, as recoil from this firearm is practically nothing, little kids can easily handle this rifle.  Put a brake on your .375 H&H, or .50 BMG, but your .223/5.56, don't waste your time.

Compensators reduce muzzle flip.  The A2 Compensator/Flash Suppressor does this well, as does the Cavalry Arms Cav Comp, and others.

The A2 is referred to as a Compensator.  It is actually both a flash suppressor AND a compensator.  It compensates by closing off the lower slots.  This also reduces kicking up dust when firing prone.  

The standard A2 Compensator does a good job both as a flash suppressor and comp.
Link Posted: 9/16/2004 10:24:42 AM EDT
[#4]
Any thing that has holes on top will help. I have a shotgun with ports in it they are drilled from the top . Little is better then NOTHING.rapid fire the gun with a A2 FS then with out one and you will seee the difference look at the AK47 FS what a differnce that makes in muzzle rise at full auto.
Link Posted: 9/16/2004 10:27:08 AM EDT
[#5]
I have never noticed any muzzle climb reduction with the A2.
Link Posted: 9/16/2004 10:36:49 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
I have never noticed any muzzle climb reduction with the A2.

Neither have I.  My new Phantom 5C1 has the bottom closed off and it has the same amount of muzzle climb as my naked 16" postban has.  There might be some compensating effects but not anything noticeable IMO.
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top