Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 9/17/2009 2:48:28 PM EDT
I bought a RR from my local dealer.  Supposed to be new.  When I took it down to clean it before firing for the first time, I saw that the bolt face had a supprising ammount of brass filings and some burnished areas that llooked like it had been fired several times at least.

It did not look like hundreds of rounds, but more than just one I'd guess.

Anyhone know how many (If any) rounds RR puts through their guns?  The gun is a Predator Pursuit, the ones they guarantee .75 MOA accuracy.

Thanks in advance....
Link Posted: 9/17/2009 2:50:05 PM EDT
[#1]
most, if not all manufacturers will test fire weapons before they leave the factory.

How many rounds I couldn't tell you.
Link Posted: 9/17/2009 3:10:06 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 9/17/2009 3:17:39 PM EDT
[#3]
I have three RRAs.  Each, and every one of them took many patches to clean when I first got them, new.  The residue was powder and some copper fouling.  Each of them had been fired several times at the factory.  Hope that helps set your mind at ease.
Link Posted: 9/17/2009 3:22:10 PM EDT
[#4]
Meh, you could go to the range and test for the 3/4 inch moa.... I cant remember what my RRA looked like before firing...... I cant honestly say I cleaned it before firing either   . Either way, I point, it shoots what I'm aiming at.....
Link Posted: 9/17/2009 3:54:03 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Quoted:
most, if not all manufacturers will test fire weapons before they leave the factory.

How many rounds I couldn't tell you.

You sure about that?  I was always under the impression that most do batch test firing.  Could be wrong, though.

no

but just about every new bolt on every new AR i have seen has has brass residue on the face, which i have always assumed was from test firing.

I even have a brand new BCM bolt that looks like someone took it to the range before they shipped it
Link Posted: 9/17/2009 4:00:30 PM EDT
[#6]
Im pretty sure they all are test fired. I know my LMT and BCM were, as well as my Glocks, and various other rifles.
Link Posted: 9/17/2009 6:54:33 PM EDT
[#7]
OK, reasonable answers, but no one knows what RR does for sure....

I'd hate to find out the gun is not original to me, especially if it doesn't shoot well.  I would NOT put it past my and many dealers to shoot a batch of AR-15s for accuracy and then sell the best of the lot to their best customers.  The rest of us get the seconds so to speak....

Now, I know as well that final accuracy is often only seen after a couple hundred rounds.  So even if its not great, it may improve...
Link Posted: 9/17/2009 7:00:00 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

I'd hate to find out the gun is not original to me, especially if it doesn't shoot well.  I would NOT put it past my and many dealers to shoot a batch of AR-15s for accuracy and then sell the best of the lot to their best customers.  The rest of us get the seconds so to speak....

Now, I know as well that final accuracy is often only seen after a couple hundred rounds.  So even if its not great, it may improve...

HUH? Why would they do that? So youre sayin that you think they would have fired a couple 100 rounds through them to determine this? That would be a waste of time and money to sell a rifle at list price. The store owners I know are to cheap to waste that ammo. If youre worried break the bcg down and see how much carbon is on the back of the bolt.
Link Posted: 9/17/2009 7:17:27 PM EDT
[#9]
I have bought 3 RR BCGs from RR.  All three had been test fired.  I bough a RR bolt alone from PK it had not been test fired.  These were my bolts of choice before BCM.
Link Posted: 9/17/2009 7:23:56 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

That would be a pretty big waste of time and money for the gun shop, considering the already tight margins that RRA allows.
Link Posted: 9/17/2009 7:39:48 PM EDT
[#11]
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top