Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 8/19/2004 4:07:46 PM EDT
I have a post ban R4 barrel that is light under the handguards. I'm wanting a real flash hider so I was thinking either have one installed on mine or get a pre-ban barrel. They show the pre-ban barrel on their site but it is heavy profile under the handguards. I'm wanting to keep this gun light and want to stay with the light profile.
Link Posted: 8/19/2004 4:38:58 PM EDT
[#1]
I believe all Rock River barrels are heavy under the guards, from what I've seen.

Lonny
Link Posted: 8/19/2004 4:46:57 PM EDT
[#2]
Unless thry've brought out a new style, the preban, threaded, barrels are all heavy under the handguard, and I do mean heavy.

I'm probably going to trash the one I got from them awhile back, and get a Bushie standard M4 type.  It shoots well, but the weight throws the balance of the piece off, and it's a pain to lug around.
Link Posted: 8/19/2004 4:49:20 PM EDT
[#3]
I bought an M4 profile, chrome-lined RRA barrel from Legal-Transfers last year.
Link Posted: 8/19/2004 4:58:00 PM EDT
[#4]
Yes they do! I bought a Post-Ban chrome lined R4 barrel from them about a month ago for a buddies build I was doing.  Although the pic on RRA's website showed a heavy barrel the one I received had the Gov't profile under the handguards.  They were having a special on this barrel and I think they still are having it.  I called them when I got it and they said the pic was wrong on the website and that ONLY the Pos-Ban chrome lined R4 barrels with the moch FH on them had the narrow profile, all others were HBARs.
Link Posted: 8/19/2004 5:01:28 PM EDT
[#5]
If you want a lightweight RRA barrel, just give the good folks at Adco a call.
Link Posted: 8/19/2004 5:06:26 PM EDT
[#6]
Or have it re-profiled for $30 under the grips.  Did it to my Colt and was very pleased.  M&R Arms in Mt Clemons, Michigan.  MUCH lighter now. Prob gonna do the same with my HEAVY barreled RRA 16".
Link Posted: 8/19/2004 6:37:28 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
Yes they do! I bought a Post-Ban chrome lined R4 barrel from them about a month ago for a buddies build I was doing.  Although the pic on RRA's website showed a heavy barrel the one I received had the Gov't profile under the handguards.  They were having a special on this barrel and I think they still are having it.  I called them when I got it and they said the pic was wrong on the website and that ONLY the Pos-Ban chrome lined R4 barrels with the moch FH on them had the narrow profile, all others were HBARs.

Does it look like this:

That is my R4 post ban barrel with mock suppressor. Is this the "gov't profile" you speak of? I'm thinking of sending it to ADCO to have it shortned so with an A2 flash hider it will be 16" OAL.
Link Posted: 8/20/2004 2:51:45 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

Guys, he asked if the PRE BAN barrel was light under the handguards. We know the post ban piece with the funky fake FH is. The pre ban unit is not; or at any rate was not, when I got mine.

I suppose someone could call RR and ask them if the PRE BAN specs have changed.  Personally, I'm just going to go with Bushmaster, and get an M4 profile, chromed bore, AND 4150 steel, for essentially the same money as Rock River gets for a 4140 steel barrel.

I suppose they are saling out the post ban pieces.  In a month, they won't be able to give them away.  Their other post ban barrels they can always thread and make into regular AR types, but that funky fake M4 job would just be too much work to make "real".  They'd have to cut the barrel, which wouls make it under 16", and then permanently mount a muzzle devise to bring it back to 16".

It's easier for them to just sale them, and hope some shnooks would rather save a few bucks then have the real thing next month
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top