Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Ammunition
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 12/21/2005 8:46:44 PM EDT
Was reading a post on another board that stated certain German 7.62 x 51 would fragment, and then stated that Hirtenberger would frag. IIRC, the type that would have this characteristic was German, marked MEN or DAG. not Hirtenberger, which is Austrian. Anyone care to clear up the confusion for me? if so, thanks in advance
Link Posted: 12/21/2005 9:15:33 PM EDT
[#1]

Quoted:
Was reading a post on another board that stated certain German 7.62 x 51 would fragment, and then stated that Hirtenberger would frag. IIRC, the type that would have this characteristic was German, marked MEN or DAG. not Hirtenberger, which is Austrian. Anyone care to clear up the confusion for me? if so, thanks in advance

I don't believe Hirt will frag. It's the W. German MEN or DAG ammo that frags. SA, Port, Aussie, and Wolf I found out do not frag. The German stuff dried up awhile ago so you would be lucky to find it. The German ammo also wouldn't have the barrier penetration that other 7.62 FMJ would have. I believe the frag velocity barrier is a good bit lower than XM193.
Link Posted: 12/22/2005 4:37:17 AM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:

No frag...get some AMAX
Link Posted: 12/22/2005 6:04:03 AM EDT
[#3]
I can't find the frag chart for the German 7.62. Well anyways there was a frag chart out there somewhere that shows the frag percentage at different velocities along with pictures of the recovered bullet remains

hty.gif
http://www.gunboards.com/forums/uploaded/xenogy/2005731185025_wund8.jpg
Link Posted: 12/22/2005 8:28:24 PM EDT
[#4]
Thanks Xenogy, that's a dramatic difference
Link Posted: 12/23/2005 4:58:23 AM EDT
[#5]
I'm at around 725 rounds of German DAG, one of these days I'm gonna have to pit it against something similar to gel to see if it does indeed fragment.

I have some Hirt as well but have never heard that it fragments.    It's accurate as freaking heck from my AR10, wish I was able to snag up several thou of the Hirt back when it was abundant.
Page AR-15 » Ammunition
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top