Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 4/29/2003 2:32:43 PM EDT
Just curious, does EOTech have a contract signed with our military?  I never see EOTechs on M16/M4s.  I usually see Aimpoints or Trijicon ACOGs.  I just got in my EOTech 511 and I love it.  I also have an Aimpoint ML2 and a Trijicon Reflex.
Link Posted: 4/29/2003 5:21:53 PM EDT
[#1]
They may not have a "contract" per se', but I can assure you that quite a few of the special ops guys use EOTechs.
Link Posted: 4/29/2003 5:26:16 PM EDT
[#2]
I don't know, but damn I love mine.  It has to be the best thing going for 100 yards in...
Link Posted: 4/29/2003 6:52:00 PM EDT
[#3]
My cousin is Army, 5th mountain. He was just home from Afgahnistan. When I showed him my M-4 w/ EOTech 510 , He told me thats the HDS they have been using in their house to house training. Only diference is thier's is special for night vision use and has a beefier housing.
Link Posted: 4/29/2003 7:46:44 PM EDT
[#4]
Yeah, when I got my EOTech 511 in I was surprised to see the heavy-duty 'military-grade' metal housing or frame that it is housed in.  I didn't know they came like that.  The manual says removing this outer protective frame, or whatever you wanna call it, will void the warranty.  I thought that was pretty interesting.  Although, I haven't got to use it at the range yet, I'm already in love with it.
Link Posted: 4/29/2003 8:03:42 PM EDT
[#5]
This is the load down on the EOTech used by the Military.

EOTech are getting a new order just about every week from different SF units.  Usually 50-150 sights at a time.  They now have over 3,000 EOTech's in service with U.S. SF groups.  I would assume that every EOTech They have sold into the SF units has replaced an Aimpoint because US military have had the Aimpoint since 1996.

Reliable source told me a SF unit ditch the RAS and Aimpoint and request the SIR and EOTech combo.  I assume it is the new SIR #50 with EOTech on the bi-level.

The British SAS just bought 250 EOTech 552's after cross-training with the Canadian JTF2 (Canada's version of Delta).  JTF2 has over 600 EOTech's in service. Our CAG (Delta) and Dev Group (SEALs) have over 1,000 EOTech's between them.  matter of fact a shipment of the new Rev E is going to the SEAL teams.

The German KSK has 1,500 EOTech's mounted on their HK G36's.  The Italian SF and South Korean SF also have a heap of EOTechs.

Plus several big deals going on right now I am not allow to mention.  EOTech might not be the official CCO, but it is the prefer sight for a lot of the Spec Op teams.
Link Posted: 4/29/2003 8:11:38 PM EDT
[#6]
Very interesting info.  However, I thought that our military used Aimpoints before 1996.  Didn't we use them in Mogadishu in 1993?  I thought that was when they made their battlefield debut.
Link Posted: 4/29/2003 8:56:44 PM EDT
[#7]
Seems like all the CQB teams are using or switching to them.  It is a great optic when used within its parameters.
Link Posted: 4/30/2003 5:42:14 AM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 4/30/2003 5:47:41 AM EDT
[#9]
Plus several big deals going on right now I am not allow to mention. EOTech might not be the official CCO, but it is the prefer sight for a lot of the Spec Op teams.
View Quote

Just curious, what is your involvment with EOTech?
Link Posted: 4/30/2003 6:29:01 AM EDT
[#10]
I've got a 552 on order right now.  Do all of the military orders mean backorder for me?  Has anyone had one shipped recently?  I ordered mine from GG&G.
Link Posted: 4/30/2003 9:53:38 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Plus several big deals going on right now I am not allow to mention. EOTech might not be the official CCO, but it is the prefer sight for a lot of the Spec Op teams.
View Quote

View Quote

Just have a friend there, ask him a question and get it straight from the horse's mouth.  
Link Posted: 4/30/2003 10:35:42 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Just have a friend there, ask him a question and get it straight from the horse's mouth.  
View Quote

Slick...I thought you worked there.
Well, you know enough about the optic...you should join their sales force on some level; unless you are making mad $$$ already.

So, your friend works there?  What a cool job.  100x cooler than my job at least...and some.
Link Posted: 4/30/2003 1:04:18 PM EDT
[#13]
Sash, I got a 552 model with all black rubber buttons in about 2 weeks from Sable Co. about 3 months ago.  Love it!  Also, the Aimpoint used in 1993 was a different model than the M68 I think, correct me if I'm wrong

John
Link Posted: 4/30/2003 1:19:11 PM EDT
[#14]

"It is a great optic when used within its parameters."

What are the 'prameters"?
is best from 0 -100 yds?

I'm the newest of the newbies so a little advice is greatly appreciated.
Link Posted: 4/30/2003 2:52:09 PM EDT
[#15]
I shoot my EoTech at 200 yards with great groups, all in a 12" pie plate.  That's success in my book.
Link Posted: 4/30/2003 3:26:49 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Quoted:
View Quote

View Quote

View Quote

Did he hook you up with a kick a$$ discount??? [naughty]
Link Posted: 4/30/2003 3:31:38 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

Did he hook you up with a kick a$$ discount??? [naughty]
View Quote

Kick ass discounts??  I don't know what you are talking about.  [:D]

Link Posted: 4/30/2003 4:46:09 PM EDT
[#18]
Liber8,

My opinion is that the EoTech is the best optic out there for close in or CQB style engagment.  It will certainly work very well for 100 yard + shooting, but it really shines when put in a CQB environment.  I use it on my patrol rifle(police) to clear houses, apartments, schools, fields, etc...  I have had no problems and find it works great for my specific mission.  I've used it at the range and found my target engagement to be at least 50% quicker.  Thats just me, I can't speak for others.  
Link Posted: 4/30/2003 5:17:31 PM EDT
[#19]
The way I see it, most if not ALL AR15 type shootin/blastin will be done under 200, more so under 100.

Thus EoTech is supreme.  Hitting a 12" circle at 200 yards with the EoTech is no problem at all.  That sight is incredible.  Sits on my homeland security implement.
[img]http://www.mattdoughty.homestead.com/files/ar15homelandsecurity.JPG[/img]
Link Posted: 4/30/2003 5:28:22 PM EDT
[#20]
The only two contracts that the military has with weapons sight manufatures is Aimpoint and Trijicon.  But really alot of commanders will allow their troops to use any kind of scopes just as long as the modifications don't alter the weapons functioning.
Link Posted: 4/30/2003 9:05:19 PM EDT
[#21]
HOKIE=
I've never seen a Readymag in black; only gray.  Did you refinish it?  It matches fantastic!
Link Posted: 4/30/2003 9:19:18 PM EDT
[#22]
NIIICE gun Hokie
Link Posted: 5/2/2003 10:36:18 AM EDT
[#23]
Hokie,
Nice gun. What Brand is it?
Link Posted: 5/2/2003 12:03:56 PM EDT
[#24]
Thanks guys.  I refinished the gun myself.  It was quite a chameleon over the years.

It's an EA lower with a Bushmaster 'everything else.'  Fluted barrel with phantom, 6-position telestock, RAS, ARMS stuff, Hogue, etc.

A CORE-Mount from [url]www.sidearmor.net[/url] for the Streamlight M6.  Keeps the laser trajectory in a vertical line with the barrel so it's consistantly at the same level at 5 yards and 100 yards.  It's not a Surefire that everyone drools over, but it's lightwieght, will illuminate anything you're gonna wanna shoot at within 50 yards, has a laser, and all operates from the same pressure switch.

I like the RediMag a lot. Keeps the crud out, keeps that top round from walking, and is more secure than taping a mag together.  The weight isn't much either.
Here's what it used to look like (using Bowflage):
[img]http://www.mattdoughty.homestead.com/files/ar15hokie.JPG[/img]
[img]http://www.mattdoughty.homestead.com/files/ARcamo.JPG[/img]
Link Posted: 5/2/2003 1:57:04 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
I've got a 552 on order right now.  Do all of the military orders mean backorder for me?  Has anyone had one shipped recently?  I ordered mine from GG&G.
View Quote

Most of the dealers i've inquired are getting them, but only 2 or 3 at a time.
Link Posted: 5/2/2003 2:28:54 PM EDT
[#26]
Hokie,
What kind of rear sight is that?
How do you like it?
Where can I get one?
Thanks
Link Posted: 5/2/2003 2:49:05 PM EDT
[#27]
Thanks, DragonRider (from Pern?) and naloxone.  I called GG&G and their fellow said he was out but expected some more in 10 days or so. :-(  It's hard to wait for cool toys.  I want it on there yesterday!!
Link Posted: 5/2/2003 4:11:26 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
Hokie,
What kind of rear sight is that?
How do you like it?
Where can I get one?
Thanks
View Quote

Looks like Hokie has an ARMS #40 stand alone rear sight.  I also have one on my preban Colt Sporter.  You can purchase them from several places including:

[url]http://mstn.biz/[/url]
[url]http://www.bushmaster.com/shopping/scopes/arms40.asp[/url]

Hope this helps KODoc.
Link Posted: 5/2/2003 4:18:51 PM EDT
[#29]
Thanks Hokie and MarineNP for the info!
Link Posted: 5/2/2003 5:11:32 PM EDT
[#30]
I thought I heard today that the UT police dept got 10 EOTechs with new rifles recently. I don't know what kind of rifles.
Link Posted: 5/3/2003 8:22:01 AM EDT
[#31]
Hokie,
A little info on the extended bolt release please? Don't see them discussed much, do they work well or are they a pain?

Love holosights, have an old bushnell gen2 and am awaiting a 551. Hope any GI that wants one gets his first.
Link Posted: 5/3/2003 12:12:34 PM EDT
[#32]
I love that little piece.  In fact, it now feels wierd when I handle an AR that doesn't have it.

Tripping that bolt release from the trigger guard is so damn convenient.  You can also quietly release the bolt too, instead of slamming it.  It also allows you to load faster, if speed is your need.

I'm a big fan of that accessory.  I moved it over to my Varminter since I put the Redi-Mag on the carbine.  Might get another one for my 20" soon.
Link Posted: 5/3/2003 7:49:54 PM EDT
[#33]
Thanks Hokie,
They looked like a great idea in the catalog, but wanted to know for sure before spending that much on  little levers.  Now I'll order as soon as I decide between version I or II.  
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top