Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Site Notices
9/22/2017 12:11:25 AM
Posted: 9/14/2003 9:18:42 PM EDT
I'd like to try my hand at building my own AR. Currently I own three Colts and have a boatload of spare parts onhand for them, including large pin FCG parts. For the sake of interchangability it would be nice to build a Colt rifle.

Is this possible? I've never seen one-but perhaps I'm not looking in the right place.

Thanks in advance
Link Posted: 9/14/2003 11:58:09 PM EDT
No, they don't, all you can do is buy all the separate Colt parts but that would cost a pretty penny compared to other mfg's kits. However, your Colt parts rifle would be worth more, but not as much as a factory assembled rifle. Geez, Colt's assembled uppers cost more than many mfg's assembled rifles...
Link Posted: 9/15/2003 12:13:17 AM EDT
Originally Posted By AK_Mike: No, they don't, all you can do is buy all the separate Colt parts but that would cost a pretty penny compared to other mfg's kits. However, your Colt parts rifle would be worth more, but not as much as a factory assembled rifle. Geez, Colt's assembled uppers cost more than many mfg's assembled rifles...
View Quote
Oh well. Thanks for the info [:)] Bushy makes kits though, don't they? If I couldn't build a Colt then I'd build a Bushy-Auburn ME is less than two hours away from me. Back when I used to order parts for my old Bushy they always came fast. Warranty repair turnaround time was very quick too.
Link Posted: 9/15/2003 12:58:41 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 9/15/2003 1:00:58 AM EDT by AK_Mike]
I may be wrong, but I don't think Bushy offers a "kit" either. No one posts about building a Bushy kit. They do sell all the parts though, just not at a special kit price like the others. I think RRA is the same way, as is Armalite. If you want to save money on a cheap kit, it's going to have to be something like Model-1, Oly Arms, J&T, DPMS?, M&A(sp), etc... You know, if you have all those Colt spare parts, you don't need the kits, you have enough plus a few additional purchases to make a Colt rifle. I have built at least one rifle this way, made of spare parts I got from upgrading other rifles (including Colt), so all I had to do was buy a few extra pieces. If I had bought the kits, I would just have ended up with more spare parts and wasted money.
Link Posted: 9/15/2003 2:17:22 AM EDT
Mike, is that a freakin' bear looking in your window!?
Link Posted: 9/15/2003 3:30:13 PM EDT
Yes, that IS a real freaking POLAR bear looking in my window. Check out this [url=http://www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=8&f=43&t=173146&w=myTopicPop]thread[/url] I posted. It shows pictures of another polar bear that I took pictures of yesterday. That polar bear is still wandering around outside AT THIS VERY MINUTE. It's just a small young cub. Since I went to bed, with my window cracked open and I could watch that bear sleeping about 50 yards away outside my window, I kept my scattergun loaded and chambered next to my bed. You can see that shotgun in my thread. Check it out!
Link Posted: 9/15/2003 4:26:55 PM EDT
You can find a Colt lower reciever, they cost a premium but you could proably get your money out when selling. I think Colt barrels are about the best to use in a kit gun.
Originally Posted By CJan_NH: I'd like to try my hand at building my own AR. Currently I own three Colts and have a boatload of spare parts onhand for them, including large pin FCG parts. For the sake of interchangability it would be nice to build a Colt rifle. Is this possible? I've never seen one-but perhaps I'm not looking in the right place. Thanks in advance [:)]
View Quote
Top Top