Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 2/16/2006 2:42:26 AM EDT
On the AR-15's, do you like the carry handle on top or no?
Link Posted: 2/16/2006 4:39:11 AM EDT
[#1]
Sure, why not?  Some rigs I use a flattop, others a carry handle.
Link Posted: 2/16/2006 4:39:56 AM EDT
[#2]
dont know where is it would do you any good.
Link Posted: 2/16/2006 4:41:17 AM EDT
[#3]
I like the look of the carry handle, but for some reason, I've never actually carried my rifle by the carry handle lol. Not sure why.

Gene
Link Posted: 2/16/2006 4:43:49 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
I like the look of the carry handle, but for some reason, I've never actually carried my rifle by the carry handle lol. Not sure why.

Gene

Same here.  I thing without it, it looks like something's missing.
Link Posted: 2/16/2006 7:50:14 AM EDT
[#5]
Some with and some without.
And yes, I do use them, just like my FALs.
Link Posted: 2/16/2006 8:02:22 AM EDT
[#6]
The first thing you learn in basic training is that is is NOT a carry handle!  If you held it that way the Drill Instructor would have a not-so-polite discourse with you about your mother, followed by 30 pushups, if he was feeling generous habit
Stoner originally designed it that way because the charging handle was there.  It was later moved to the back of the rear sight  but the support strut hen
OK, off the soap box.  Guess I'm still a little sensitive about my mother and those 30 pushups.  As fore me, I like the flattop, ACOG and BUIS.
Link Posted: 2/16/2006 8:23:39 AM EDT
[#7]
yes

Link Posted: 2/16/2006 8:24:19 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
The first thing you learn in basic training is that is is NOT a carry handle!  If you held it that way the Drill Instructor would have a not-so-polite discourse with you about your mother, followed by 30 pushups, if he was feeling generous .  

It is a bad safety habit to carry the rifle that way.  You basically have the muzzle pointing at ones mid-section instead of up to the sky or down to the ground where it belongs.

Stoner originally designed it that way because the charging handle was there.  It was later moved to the back of the rear sight  but the support strut remained.  And then a hole was drilled to allow scope mounting.  

OK, off the soap box.  Guess I'm still a little sensitive about my mother and those 30 pushups.  

As fore me, I like the flattop, ACOG and BUIS.

"that's a rifle not a godamn suitcase, maggot!"

I remember a guy getting a little incentive PT in boot camp over that.
Link Posted: 2/16/2006 8:30:03 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
On the AR-15's, do you like the carry handle on top or no?

Nope.  I sold my carry handle & in its place i run the Larue BUIS.
Link Posted: 2/16/2006 8:31:38 AM EDT
[#10]
Like it, yes.  Use it, no.

Since mine are all of the flat top design, I can hardly fit my hand/fingers through the "luggage loop".  It's just too narrow.

My brother has an Aimpoint and when he mounts it to his railed forend, he keeps the carry handle on.  It just looks strange without the handle.  Plus as long as the Aimpoint co-witnesses w/ the irons on the carry handle- why not have it there?  It's the fastest way to transition to back-up sights.  Although, if a BUIS was on there, then maybe it'd be ok to leave off the carry handle... Hmm, more $ to expend!

Sly
Link Posted: 2/16/2006 8:41:07 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
Guess I'm still a little sensitive about my mother and those 30 pushups.  

"that's a rifle not a godamn suitcase, maggot!"

I remember a guy getting a little incentive PT in boot camp over that.

Did you ever make the mistake of calling it a gun?  ha ha
Link Posted: 2/16/2006 8:41:58 AM EDT
[#12]
Joseph, that is one suweeeeeet weapon!
Link Posted: 2/16/2006 8:43:30 AM EDT
[#13]
I guess I am in the minority in that I like shooting with the carry handle sights. Maybe it is because I am cheap and don't want to shell out the extra cash for a flat top
Link Posted: 2/16/2006 8:45:30 AM EDT
[#14]
Yes.  Call me a creature of habit but I have to have a carry handle installed.  
Link Posted: 2/16/2006 8:45:49 AM EDT
[#15]
I love not having it in the way, but will never be able to get used to the way a rifle looks without it.
Link Posted: 2/16/2006 8:47:49 AM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:
Joseph, that is one suweeeeeet weapon!

thanks.  I've recently been called "ghey" because that's I've refinished it twice...  Go figure...
Link Posted: 2/16/2006 9:31:50 AM EDT
[#17]

I like em with a handle.  Don't quite know what it is about the "handle". In my mind, I guess

that's one of the things that makes an AR a, well, an AR.
Link Posted: 2/16/2006 9:58:02 AM EDT
[#18]
I have a carry handle installed on the side of my freefloat rail on my scoped AR  

I'm too cheap to buy a fancy-schmancy BUIS, but I want to have a backup in case the scope breaks or something.  I suppose I could cut it to just have the rear sight, but for now it works fine.
Link Posted: 2/16/2006 10:13:38 AM EDT
[#19]
Link Posted: 2/16/2006 10:18:51 AM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

Quoted:
I have a carry handle installed on the side of my freefloat rail on my scoped AR  

The tribunal demands pictures....

I don't know if I have it anymore but I used to have a picture of a soldier in Iraq with his M68 on his flattop and his carry handle mounted on the right side.
Link Posted: 2/16/2006 10:21:34 AM EDT
[#21]
Link Posted: 2/16/2006 10:21:59 AM EDT
[#22]
Yes. I prefer then look and sights of the carry handle to any other types of irons
Link Posted: 2/16/2006 10:36:09 AM EDT
[#23]
Do I like teh A2 upper (or flattop with detachable carry handle mounted)? Absolutely.

Do I actually use it for carrying the rifle? Only when I'm out shooting at our farm alone, never when anyone else is around.

WIZZO
Link Posted: 2/16/2006 10:45:59 AM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:

Gene

I was always told NOT to use it as carrying handle from my Basic Instructor and every Range Officer since until I started spewing the same mantra to my troops when I took them or civilians to the range....IT IS NOT A SUITCASE, DROP AND GIVE ME 50 MAGGOT! LOL... It might be valid or tradition but was taught to carry weapon on sling or in my hands on the stock and forearm grips......and to think of the handle as the mount for the rear sight to get it up in your line of vision properly......so never carried by handle in 21 years.

Later when we had M-4 we  left them off completely and mounted optics or used handle mount for optics...but then you dont have a iron sights without adding the handle or removing the damaged optics...not a quick venture in combat.  The new setup with glass up front with a good BUIS is the best of both worlds.

I dont care for them and see them as a sight mount rather than carrying handle.
Link Posted: 2/16/2006 10:57:36 AM EDT
[#25]
I like mine and they way it looks but I don't use it except when I am mounting my FF rails, I mainly use it to align the FF rail with the upper rail.
Link Posted: 2/16/2006 11:18:44 AM EDT
[#26]
I love mine and DO use it  as a handle to carry the rifle when I have other things in my hands. Makes carrying it easier. Although I carry it with the handle when it is empty, my rifle (an HBAR) is so muzzle heavy that it points down anyway.

An AR without the handle just doesn't look right, despite the advantages of the flat top design.
Link Posted: 2/16/2006 1:12:00 PM EDT
[#27]
I keep going back and forth.  I really like the carry handle and attendant iron sights.  Then I get a bug and take it off and install the scope (cheap).  I shoot with the scope a while and then I take it off and put the carry handle back on.  It seems as if the answer for me is to put a good high quality optic on the present 20" colt that I have and buy/build another rifle of the 16" variety that I will leave the carry handle on.  My thinking is that if I fork over for a good 4-500$ optic then I won't be as quick to yank it off as I am with the cheapo scope I am using now.  Plus it is good rationalization for another black rifle.  

ETA: my first post as a TEAM member...woohoo
Link Posted: 2/16/2006 1:23:00 PM EDT
[#28]
I use it if its on there.  If it is not, I dont notice it missing.
Link Posted: 2/16/2006 1:24:43 PM EDT
[#29]
I shoot with C/H irons to 200 yards. I like the challenge.
Link Posted: 2/16/2006 1:28:47 PM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:

Quoted:

The tribunal demands pictures....

Here are some absolutely crappy pictures I just took  

Link Posted: 2/16/2006 1:39:12 PM EDT
[#31]
I've done that once, only because the rifle wouldn't fit into my gun cary case for some reason.

Now I just remember to take off the Vertical foregrip.
Link Posted: 2/16/2006 1:49:43 PM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:
The first thing you learn in basic training is that is is NOT a carry handle!  If you held it that way the Drill Instructor would have a not-so-polite discourse with you about your mother, followed by 30 pushups, if he was feeling generous .  

It is a bad safety habit to carry the rifle that way.  You basically have the muzzle pointing at ones mid-section instead of up to the sky or down to the ground where it belongs.

Stoner originally designed it that way because the charging handle was there.  It was later moved to the back of the rear sight  but the support strut remained.  And then a hole was drilled to allow scope mounting.  

OK, off the soap box.  Guess I'm still a little sensitive about my mother and those 30 pushups.  

As fore me, I like the flattop, ACOG and BUIS.

+1 I am a Marine and it was push until the drill instructor got tired, I don't remember ever seeing them get tired??
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top