Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 7/2/2003 7:25:10 PM EDT
For those who have an Aimpoint Comp with the newer CETechnology (1,000 to 10,000 hr. battery life),
Do you leave it on or turn it off(Comp C) or if you
have an ML/ML2 do you take the batteries out(no off switch)?

I believe when left on the Extra bright setting it will give you 1,000hrs and on the lowest 10,000 hrs?
Link Posted: 7/2/2003 8:39:46 PM EDT
[#1]
I don't leave mine on unless I'm playing with it or shooting.  I don't care how long the batteries last it serves no purpose to leave it on when it's not being used.  

But that's just my opinion.  
Link Posted: 7/2/2003 9:15:12 PM EDT
[#2]
No, not the Aimpoint, but I do leave my TA31 on all the time... Oh yeah, thats right... It never turns off!! [;)]
Link Posted: 7/2/2003 9:57:17 PM EDT
[#3]
I don't leave mine on either.(Comp C)

Just curious if some of you might leave your Comp on say on your Home Defensive weapon on over night? For some of you that are uh, "extra-prepared".
Especially for the guys with Comp Ms. Must be a a little annoying to not be able to switch it off  with out taking the batteries out each time.

Link Posted: 7/3/2003 2:17:57 AM EDT
[#4]
I use my Aimpoint ML2 on a home defense carbine and I've left it on half way to the brightest setting going on 11 months now and it's still as bright as the day I got it.  When I took it out of the box, it was already on by the way.
Link Posted: 7/3/2003 9:21:08 AM EDT
[#5]
I've haven't left my ML2 on (on purpose anyway).  I did forget for about 3 weeks but its still going strong over a year later.
Link Posted: 7/3/2003 12:22:56 PM EDT
[#6]
Yup,
that's what I wanted to hear. Anybody else?
Link Posted: 7/3/2003 12:29:57 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

Just curious if some of you might leave your Comp on say on your Home Defensive weapon on over night? For some of you that are uh, "extra-prepared".
Especially for the guys with Comp Ms. Must be a a little annoying to not be able to switch it off  with out taking the batteries out each time.
Huh?!?!  My CompM doesn't turn off when I turn the dial to "off"?  Whatchoo talkin' bout, Willis?

View Quote
Link Posted: 7/3/2003 5:43:11 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Huh?!?!  My CompM doesn't turn off when I turn the dial to "off"?  Whatchoo talkin' bout, Willis?

View Quote
View Quote

I was under the impression that the Comp M had 10 positions:4 NVD and 6 daylight no off position. Comp M owners correct me if I'm wrong.
Link Posted: 7/3/2003 7:16:20 PM EDT
[#9]
CompC here...off when not in use

CompM2's have 4 NVD, 6 daylight with 1 being extra bright

CompML2's have 1 off, 9 daylight with 1 being extra bright..
Link Posted: 7/5/2003 8:45:09 PM EDT
[#10]
I'm with new-arguy why bother get an ACOG!!!

[smoke]
Link Posted: 7/6/2003 5:40:15 AM EDT
[#11]
I don't leave my ML2 on.
Link Posted: 7/6/2003 10:41:26 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
I'm with new-arguy why bother get an ACOG!!!

[smoke]
View Quote

Cause an ACOG is overpriced for what you get.  B^)
Link Posted: 7/6/2003 2:01:37 PM EDT
[#13]
Value is an extremely relative concept. If there was something else like an ACOG available that didnt cost as much, I'd agree with you. the problem is there is noting else you can compare it to for equal or less money. I think the fact that no other company has been able to develop an alternative to the ACOG in itself speaks volumes as to their value.
Link Posted: 7/6/2003 4:06:45 PM EDT
[#14]
I don't really think the ACOG and Aimpoint are really equivlent sights.  The Aimpoint is faster and eye relief is non critical so it's better for quick aquisition and close range shooting.  The ACOG has magnification is it's better for longer distance shooting.  The ACOG doesn't need batteries, but the new ML2's and M2's with their batteries seemly lasting forever, like I said, I leave mine half way to the highest setting and it's going on 11 months now and it's still just as bright was when I got it, it's kinda a moot point when people with ACOGs say it's better because you don't need batteries.  You can probably get 10 Aimpoint batteries for $50 tops and that should last a lifetime.  I belive if you need the tritium changed in an ACOG, it's much more expensive.  On the other hand, if I wanted an optic to shoot past 100 yards instead of home defense, I'd probably get an ACOG.  I just don't think when people say that the ACOG is 10 times better because it doesn't take batteries is really that accurate of a statment.
Link Posted: 7/6/2003 4:17:35 PM EDT
[#15]
A BAC equipped ACOG is pretty darn fast.  I take the TA31 any day over any available fast action optic on the market.

I don't leave any of my Aimpoint on.  I don't use an AR for home defense, I choose a Remington 870 and a pistol.  less probelm with the law.
Link Posted: 7/6/2003 7:07:27 PM EDT
[#16]
Im not sure anyone did say the ACOG is 10x better. Maybe they did and I just missed it. I dont think it is better, its just different. Your needs will dictate weather or not an ACOG a better optic than the Aimpoint, or an Aimpoint a better optic than an ACOG. It wont make one optic better than the other, but it will make one better for you and your needs. Any in my experience, with propper training and regular use, I dont think the Aimpoint is any faster than the BAC ACOGs.
Link Posted: 7/6/2003 7:23:34 PM EDT
[#17]
Apples and Oranges to me.

Neil's neat little "from here to here" chart very clearly defined the practical applications of the Aimpoint and the ACOGs.

Id be happy with either for general use.  Very shortly, I'll have both [:D]
Link Posted: 7/6/2003 10:56:28 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
I don't really think the ACOG and Aimpoint are really equivlent sights.  The Aimpoint is faster and eye relief is non critical so it's better for quick aquisition and close range shooting.  The ACOG has magnification is it's better for longer distance shooting.  The ACOG doesn't need batteries, but the new ML2's and M2's with their batteries seemly lasting forever, like I said, I leave mine half way to the highest setting and it's going on 11 months now and it's still just as bright was when I got it, it's kinda a moot point when people with ACOGs say it's better because you don't need batteries.  You can probably get 10 Aimpoint batteries for $50 tops and that should last a lifetime.  I belive if you need the tritium changed in an ACOG, it's much more expensive.  On the other hand, if I wanted an optic to shoot past 100 yards instead of home defense, I'd probably get an ACOG.  I just don't think when people say that the ACOG is 10 times better because it doesn't take batteries is really that accurate of a statment.
View Quote

I bought the aimpoint to use it as it is:a CQB relflex sight at short to medium distances 0-200 yds. I wasn't looking for a power scope. Close range sight acquisition would be alot slower for for how I'm shooting with most ACOGs(TAONSNS.TAO,etc).

However, if I had the money I'd like to invest on a TA31 for the close range BAC/magnification/fiberoptics/tritium features one day--hey I know you pay for what you get and TA31s/ACOGS are the shit,but as for it's $1,800 + price[:O]tag it's gonna be a lonnnnnnnng time, and I ain't sweating it![:D]
Link Posted: 7/7/2003 5:57:11 AM EDT
[#19]
They're expensive, but they are not $1800. Max retail should only be $1195 and you should be able to find them for less than that.
Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top