Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 9/2/2005 5:28:23 PM EDT
Buying my first AR, just wonder if I really want to invest about $50 extra for the chrome lined barel while knowing it is not as accurate as chrome moly or stainless and some manufacturers not even offer it. I will be mostly shooting in the range with cheap ammo, don't see I would even do rapid fire or bump fire and I may not shoot more than 500 rounds a year. I know chrome lined is much more durable but I may never see that much life in my casual shooting. It is easy to clean, but I clean my guns anyway. Most sport rifles are with standard chrome moly barrels, just wonder if anything special in ARs or .223 caliber that I should really have the barrel and chamber chrome lined. Understand when M16s first introduced, barrels were not chrome lined and later added for reliability and durability, but those are battle rifles.  Stainless steel is another option, but I think they all come with SAMMI chamber for accuracy. I actually prefer M16 chamber in 1:9 rate to shoot cheap ammo.  Am I going to regret 6 months from now if I go with regular chrome moly barrel?  Thanks.

Hank
Link Posted: 9/2/2005 5:34:00 PM EDT
[#1]
No and No.
Link Posted: 9/2/2005 5:34:20 PM EDT
[#2]
Not sure really, because I always got chrome

I have 3 barrels... all chrome lined.

I dont regret spending the extra cash for it.
Link Posted: 9/2/2005 5:39:10 PM EDT
[#3]
I'd always go with a chrome lined barrel.  I have 3 AR's and all of them have chrome lined barrels.
Link Posted: 9/2/2005 5:47:46 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 9/2/2005 5:57:39 PM EDT
[#5]
Try to shoot it out and if you do change it. A new barrel is not that expensive .
Link Posted: 9/2/2005 5:59:39 PM EDT
[#6]
No chrome in three of my AR's.
No rust either, and I live in the Pacific North Wet.
The one with the Clot M16 upper has chrome.
Link Posted: 9/2/2005 6:01:56 PM EDT
[#7]
I don't regret it. I may eventually get a chrome-lined upper. On a A2 setup. But with my current flattop I don't care. I have no worries about rust either. I have seen a lot of regular old hunting rifles put through a lot with no rusting.
Link Posted: 9/2/2005 6:03:24 PM EDT
[#8]
Most of my SS barrels are 5.56, and I have no regrets with those.  I've not had problems with chrome or non-chrome, but there is certainly a difference when you clean the non-chrome....
Link Posted: 9/2/2005 6:13:30 PM EDT
[#9]

Buying my first AR, just wonder if I really want to invest about $50 extra for the chrome lined barel while knowing it is not as accurate as chrome moly or stainless and some manufacturers not even offer it.

I'm getting 1 MOA groups at 100 yds with chrome-lined barrels so I really don't know where is "not as accurate" myth is coming from.

Unless it's not offered in a particular model I'll always go chrome-lined.
Link Posted: 9/2/2005 6:15:23 PM EDT
[#10]
My match rifle has a stainless barrel for optimal accuracy (better than me anyway). My others have chrome-lining so I don't have to worry about cleaning after shooting. More important for you, a chrome-lined chamber has more lubricity - as a casual plinker (no offense intended) you will likely want to shoot Wolf ammo at some point as its half the price of brass-cased ammo... Wolf .223 ammo tends to suffer from stuck case jams in non-chromed chambers.
Link Posted: 9/2/2005 6:18:28 PM EDT
[#11]
I would have gotten chrome-lined barrels in 2 of my AR's if it was available. M&A Parts didn't have a  chrome-lined M4 kit and RRA didn't have chrome-lined 20" barrels.

Needless to say, I'm not swapping them out for chrome lined barrels because I feel that they will do just fine. My future purchases will be chrome-lined though. They just clean up easier and quicker and I'm not shooting ammo accurate enough to tell any accuracy difference one way or another.

WIZZO
Link Posted: 9/2/2005 6:28:22 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
..... you will likely want to shoot Wolf ammo at some point as its half the price of brass-cased ammo... Wolf .223 ammo tends to suffer from stuck case jams in non-chromed chambers.

I've put thousands of rounds of Wolf thru 2 non-chromed barrels, both .223 chamber, both from Model 1 sales, the ONLY stuck case I EVER had was a brass case once.
Link Posted: 9/2/2005 6:29:03 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
Wolf .223 ammo tends to suffer from stuck case jams in non-chromed chambers.

Thousands of rounds of wolf down the pipe of my non-chrome lined barrel. No stuck cases...or malfunction for that matter. Using old and new wolf.
Link Posted: 9/2/2005 6:33:24 PM EDT
[#14]
No. I've got chrome!
Link Posted: 9/2/2005 6:47:34 PM EDT
[#15]
Is there anything special in AR or .223 caliber that really makes chrome lined important in this type of rifle? $50 is not really too bad consider AR accesorieare are much more expensive. I don't mean chrome lined is not accurate, I know it is still more accurate than me. Thanks.

Hank
Link Posted: 9/2/2005 6:54:56 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:
Is there anything special in AR or .223 caliber that really makes chrome lined important in this type of rifle? $50 is not really too bad consider AR accesorieare are much more expensive. I don't mean chrome lined is not accurate, I know it is still more accurate than me. Thanks.

Hank

Most military weapons are chrome lined, most sporting weapons are not.

Probable just because "battle rifles" are subjected to long periods of time out in the shit, imagine what a M16 out on a Long Range Recon Patrol in Vietnam circa 1969 would have seen. Many nights in the rain on watch.
Link Posted: 9/2/2005 7:16:48 PM EDT
[#17]
Link Posted: 9/2/2005 7:27:25 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:
I've put thousands of rounds of Wolf thru 2 non-chromed barrels, both .223 chamber, both from Model 1 sales, the ONLY stuck case I EVER had was a brass case once.

Alright buddy, not so fast with the BS accusations please. It is a well understood benefit of chrome-lined chambers that they demonstrate more lubricity. It is also well known that some Wolf ammo has a greater propensity to stuck cases.

I'm not saying that Wolf will never work with a non-chromed chamber, but neither do I think it is statistically valid to call BS on the basis of your very limited "experience".
Link Posted: 9/2/2005 8:17:16 PM EDT
[#19]
I love Wolf ammo arguments.

"It sticks.  I shot five rounds and every one stuck."

"It don't stick.  I've shot 62,000 rounds with absolutely no failures...................NOT ONE............out of the same nonchrome lined barrel."

Oh, and BTW, get chrome.  There's no reason not to.

Link Posted: 9/2/2005 8:25:50 PM EDT
[#20]
Chrome lined barrels are accurate... The modern techniques used today to chrome line barrels is a lot different than back in the day...

In general, Stainless is a good choice if you plan to only shoot paper... Chrome-moly if your sure to clean it soon after shooting it... Chrome lined chamber and bore if you want a more reliable barrel, IMO...

Here's something to try: Run 50 rounds of cheap WOLF ammo through a non-chrome lined barrel, don't swab out the bore and let it sit a couple weeks, then try and clean the bore... It will make you wish it was chrome lined...
Link Posted: 9/2/2005 8:28:51 PM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:

"It don't stick.  I've shot 62,000 rounds with absolutely no failures...................NOT ONE............out of the same nonchrome lined barrel."

www.spacespider.net/emo/eatdrink033.gifwww.spacespider.net/emo/eatdrink014.gif

62,000 rounds, DAMN
Link Posted: 9/2/2005 9:25:15 PM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:

+1
Link Posted: 9/2/2005 9:30:59 PM EDT
[#23]
All of mine are chrome lined
Link Posted: 9/2/2005 11:02:41 PM EDT
[#24]
No... Just shoot em.. If I wear it out I buy a new one...
Link Posted: 9/2/2005 11:04:45 PM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:
My match rifle has a stainless barrel for optimal accuracy (better than me anyway). My others have chrome-lining so I don't have to worry about cleaning after shooting. More important for you, a chrome-lined chamber has more lubricity - as a casual plinker (no offense intended) you will likely want to shoot Wolf ammo at some point as its half the price of brass-cased ammo... Wolf .223 ammo tends to suffer from stuck case jams in non-chromed chambers.

Ive put over 3K of Wolf thru my SS Oly bbl.. I have never had a stuck empty.. Ive got 2K of it thru my M16.. I have no issues with it.
Link Posted: 9/2/2005 11:20:29 PM EDT
[#26]
Yes, get the chrome.  Why not? If you don't, after a while you'll be convinced you made the wrong decision.  If you do, you'll probably be happy with it.
Link Posted: 9/2/2005 11:21:03 PM EDT
[#27]
I get chrome, but mainly because I'm a low maintenace kind of guy whose seen rust growing in the bore.
Link Posted: 9/3/2005 3:18:10 AM EDT
[#28]
Get chrome it's more than worth the extra $50.  The accuracy issue is nothing to worry about unless you need to be shooting .25 MOA groups on a regular basis.  You will not regret getting a chrome lined barrel!

Also, you may want to consider a 1/7 twist barrel as it will shoot all the cheap ammo just as good as the 1/9 and in 6 months when you decide you want to try 75-75gr ammo, believe me you will, you'll be good to go.  The 1/9 barrels are about 50/50 for properly stabilizing the longer, heavier 75+gr ammo and you'll be pissed if you get a 1/9 that won't but you can 100% sure the 1/ will work.
Link Posted: 9/3/2005 4:50:31 AM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:

Mongo- too funny!  I was hoping someone would post that "Not this shit again" pic.

GO WITH CHROME LINING!  There is a reason the people that REALLY depend on their weapons (i.e. the militaries of the entire world) use chrome lining.  M16s, AKs, FALs... the list goes on and on.

Shal1
Link Posted: 9/3/2005 5:50:12 AM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:

Quoted:

62,000 rounds, DAMN

And THAT was in one afternoon;

Bump firing

With no rest time
Link Posted: 9/3/2005 6:08:07 AM EDT
[#31]
Link Posted: 9/3/2005 6:09:55 AM EDT
[#32]
Link Posted: 9/3/2005 6:13:34 AM EDT
[#33]
"Do you ever regret not getting a chrome lined barrel in your AR ?

YES

Have a AR with a Douglas SS barre (20in length ) I would love to replace it with a chrome line or maybe a Match Quality CM barrel in a 20in barrel length (SDM style barrel ).

Chrome is the only way to go
Link Posted: 9/3/2005 6:18:35 AM EDT
[#34]
i always get chromelined and if not then its a match bbl.
Link Posted: 9/3/2005 6:22:41 AM EDT
[#35]
This type of thread kills me, people will actually wonder if they should spend an extra $50 for a chrome lined barrel, however they will have no problem hanging $1000 worth of junk that they will never use on their AR.

Unless you are buying a SS target barrel, why would you not buy a chrome lined barrel, it is the the best $50 upgrade that you could possibly make, period.

The benefits of chrome lined barrels, barrel life, ease of cleaning, etc.

The down side of chrome lined barrels are NONE.

Chrome; the $50 dollar question, LOL.
Link Posted: 9/3/2005 6:33:32 AM EDT
[#36]
Link Posted: 9/3/2005 9:00:00 AM EDT
[#37]

Not all will shoot that well. It is VERY common for a chrome lined barrel to shoot 3MOA.

I guess I'm lucky. I'm getting 1 MOA 10 shot groups at 100 yds from a RRA Wilson M4 16" chrome-lined.  Or 20 yrs of DCM/CMP shooting is paying off.
Link Posted: 9/3/2005 9:20:53 AM EDT
[#38]
The military answered that question 40 years ago when there were combat field problems (failure to extract jams) with the then new M16; one of the fixes was to chrome line the barrels (chambers, at least).  If you are building a safe queen or are seeking to squeeze the most accuracy possible out of a barrel or going to shoot just a few rounds at a time then a non-chrome barrel may be OK.  BUT, if you intend to fire a lot of rounds quickly, don't or can't keep your barrel real clean or shoot dirty ammo you need a chrome lined barrel.  If you read through this forum just notice how many failure to extract problems there are and the lengths that members have to go to to "band-aid" remedy the problem..........you don't read these type problems from those with chrome lined barrels.  Starting out with a good chrome lined barrel may well save you a ton of headache down the road.    
Link Posted: 9/3/2005 9:32:11 AM EDT
[#39]
"The military answered that question 40 years ago when there were combat field problems (failure to extract jams) with the then new M16; one of the fixes was to chrome line the barrels (chambers, at least). If you are building a safe queen or are seeking to squeeze the most accuracy possible out of a barrel or going to shoot just a few rounds at a time then a non-chrome barrel may be OK. BUT, if you intend to fire a lot of rounds quickly, don't or can't keep your barrel real clean or shoot dirty ammo you need a chrome lined barrel. If you read through this forum just notice how many failure to extract problems there are and the lengths that members have to go to to "band-aid" remedy the problem..........you don't read these type problems from those with chrome lined barrels. Starting out with a good chrome lined barrel may well save you a ton of headache down the road.
--------------------------------------------------------------
Well put brother- I could not have said it better my self !!  
Link Posted: 9/3/2005 9:52:51 AM EDT
[#40]
If we are going to argue the accuracy point we should bring up the fact that FH's hurt accuracy. I know my accuracy suffered slightly once I had ADCO put the A2 flash hider on.
Link Posted: 9/3/2005 9:56:47 AM EDT
[#41]
Chrome lining was originally a band aid
to cover lack of maintenance/cleaning .

The trade off was diminished accuracy but that
isn't so much of an issue with improved lining
techniques today .

Keep it clean and lubed and you will never
have a problem with a good unlined barrel .
Link Posted: 9/3/2005 10:24:58 AM EDT
[#42]
Quote:

Keep it clean and lubed and you will never
have a problem with a good unlined barrel .

-Thats funny they said the same thing to the man who serviced in Vietnam-

If your traveling light and on the move you may not have time to stop and clean your rifle

Going chrome is not the lazy mans way ,it,s the Smart way to go. One less thing to worry about.

Link Posted: 9/3/2005 11:02:55 AM EDT
[#43]
Replaced all my unlined barrels with chrome-lined barrels for the benefits.

My rifle I refitted with a 20" chrome lined 1/7 FNMI M16A2 barrel shoots 1" groups from benchrest with match ammo.

That's good enough for me and my average shooting skills.

Worth $50? Yes I would say so, but it's a personal choice.

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top