Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 2/7/2006 2:30:12 AM EDT
If so, what kind of competition?  IPSC 3-gun?  CMP?  FDCC/SFDCC/MODCC? Other forms of competitive shooting?  
Link Posted: 2/7/2006 3:42:53 AM EDT
[#1]
3 Gun and I used to shoot high power.  I don't miss high power at all.

Link Posted: 2/7/2006 3:44:34 AM EDT
[#2]
3 gun and ipsc rifle.

Use an M1A for CMP.
Link Posted: 2/7/2006 3:54:43 AM EDT
[#3]
SFDCC, but I dont get to nearly as many matches as I'd like to.
Link Posted: 2/7/2006 4:11:09 AM EDT
[#4]
Highpower.

I guess it would be fun to participate in those run-and-gun deals, but two things stop me:

1) Becoming good in a sport requires total dedication, and I don't have unlimited free time so I chose HP.

2) Tactical matches have no single national sanctioning body and rulebook.  There are at least two rule books and virtually unlimited local variations.  Highpower is the same everywhere.

And after I achieve my immediate goals (High Master and Distinguished Rifleman), there are many more things I can continue doing in HP to stay interested and focused.  I can keep focusing in the AR and shoot for higher goals (state champion, President's 100, NTI top 20 then  top 10).  I can go old school for some matches with an M1 or M14.  I can switch to a bolt gun for across the course.  I can shoot Long Range (1K yards).  Or I can get a 1911 and start working on double Distinguished (rifle & pistol).
Link Posted: 2/7/2006 4:18:48 AM EDT
[#5]
About to start in High Power. Nothing like being a newb, ya know?
Link Posted: 2/7/2006 6:03:29 AM EDT
[#6]
I've shot USPSA 3-gun and rifle matches.  Last month I shot an ACTS match in southern Michigan, which is based somewhat on IDPA.  It was fun too.
Link Posted: 2/7/2006 6:14:06 AM EDT
[#7]
3 gun and a rifle course set up similarly to our IDPA (2 shots on all cardboard sometimes 3, 1 on steel...depending on our R.O.).

unfortunately this is the only "training" I have time for.
Link Posted: 2/7/2006 7:59:58 AM EDT
[#8]
Used to do Hi-Power.  Will proabably take up 3-gun when I get back from Iraq.
Link Posted: 2/7/2006 8:02:15 AM EDT
[#9]
Why don't you ask people in the Competition Shooting & the Accurate AR forum.

I think this forum is more for technical AR discussions.
Link Posted: 2/7/2006 8:31:05 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

Because nobody is going to answer "no" in that forum.  That's like going to a Klan rally to take a poll of black folks.
Link Posted: 2/7/2006 8:36:53 AM EDT
[#11]
Wheneve I can.  I've done 'tactical rifle' and 3-gun matches.
Link Posted: 2/7/2006 8:52:38 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Because nobody is going to answer "no" in that forum.  That's like going to a Klan rally to take a poll of black folks.

Then it pretty much makes the question pointless then, doesn't it?
Link Posted: 2/7/2006 9:06:27 AM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 2/7/2006 10:00:24 AM EDT
[#14]
IPSC
Link Posted: 2/7/2006 10:01:52 AM EDT
[#15]
I often compete with my AR15 over who gets my wallet's undivided attention.
Link Posted: 2/7/2006 10:14:25 AM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 2/7/2006 10:50:47 AM EDT
[#17]
Link Posted: 2/7/2006 10:54:34 AM EDT
[#18]
Hi Power

and

MODCC
Link Posted: 2/7/2006 11:17:51 AM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Then it pretty much makes the question pointless then, doesn't it?

I'm not going to keep debating this with you.  If you don't want to answer the question then just move along and let everyone else have the discussion.
Link Posted: 2/7/2006 11:36:16 AM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:  Well pretty much every high power range is identical.  When every practical range is identical with the same targets, same props, etc. it could perhaps be possible.  The only thing I think might help is more uniformity of equipment divisions across the spectrum...identical scoring and rules don't always fit best with the facilities and props and what the match is trying to accomplish.  Diversity is the strength of multi-gun/3 Gun, doing the same thing over and over again gets boring.

There is nothing in the uniformity of equipment and scoring regs that would inhibit course and stage design to any significant degree.

Your sanctioning groups could take a lesson from the National Sporting Clays Association.   The equipment, scoring, malfunction, classification, and tournament conduct rules are one for everyone, yet course designers have immense lattitude in designing a challeging, fun course that will test your skills and can be changed as often as necessary to keep from becoming stale.
Link Posted: 2/7/2006 11:39:22 AM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:
I'm not going to keep debating this with you.  If you don't want to answer the question then just move along and let everyone else have the discussion.

No, I don't shoot competitively.
Link Posted: 2/7/2006 11:47:25 AM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:
...2) Tactical matches have no single national sanctioning body and rulebook.  There are at least two rule books and virtually unlimited local variations.  Highpower is the same everywhere.

I guess it depends on WHY you compete.  If it's a game to you, something for serious competition - compare yourself to others, and/or you want to place well go to national championships and the like than I can see you needing a santionig body and rulebook.

Others go just to 'have fun' or to practice their skills then I don't see a such a need.  
Link Posted: 2/7/2006 11:49:44 AM EDT
[#23]
I don't know why anyone would care if MODCC, SFDCC, FDCC, or IPSC 3-gun have the same rules or not.  It doesn't affect the fact that it's fun to shoot that way.

I guess one reason for not taking part in the action shooting sports is that it makes sitting at a bench and plinking away seem ungodly boring and you'll never do it again.
Link Posted: 2/7/2006 11:58:41 AM EDT
[#24]

There is nothing in the uniformity of equipment and scoring regs that would inhibit course and stage design to any significant degree.

Your sanctioning groups could take a lesson from the National Sporting Clays Association.   The equipment, scoring, malfunction, classification, and tournament conduct rules are one for everyone, yet course designers have immense lattitude in designing a challeging, fun course that will test your skills and can be changed as often as necessary to keep from becoming stale.

You should go to the USPSA website and check out the multi-gun and rifle rules.  Equipment rules are getting pretty much standardized, depending on what Division you choose to shoot in.  Courses aren't standardized for one very good reason:  standardization=sameness=boring.  Matches are highly varried and interesting.  If they were all the same we'd call it Highpower or something else and lose much of the participation.  Sporting Clays is an interesting concept as is practical shooting, but they're different and need to be treated differently.  Right now 3-gun is a work in progress, but equipment standarzation is here, although some match directors haven't heard that yet.
Link Posted: 2/7/2006 11:59:40 AM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:
I don't know why anyone would care if MODCC, SFDCC, FDCC, or IPSC 3-gun have the same rules or not.  It doesn't affect the fact that it's fun to shoot that way.

I guess one reason for not taking part in the action shooting sports is that it makes sitting at a bench and plinking away seem ungodly boring and you'll never do it again.

LOL! so true!

Yeah you can see "Who's the Best", but then again - who cares?  I think the only time it makes a concrete difference is when you're shooting to see who has to buy lunch.
Link Posted: 2/7/2006 1:48:27 PM EDT
[#26]
I’ve shot a couple times in our local Practical Rifle matches… team arf.com
Link Posted: 2/7/2006 2:04:52 PM EDT
[#27]
Link Posted: 2/7/2006 6:11:42 PM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:

You should go to the USPSA website and check out the multi-gun and rifle rules.  Equipment rules are getting pretty much standardized, depending on what Division you choose to shoot in.  Courses aren't standardized for one very good reason:  standardization=sameness=boring.  Matches are highly varried and interesting.  If they were all the same we'd call it Highpower or something else and lose much of the participation.  Sporting Clays is an interesting concept as is practical shooting, but they're different and need to be treated differently.  Right now 3-gun is a work in progress, but equipment standarzation is here, although some match directors haven't heard that yet.

You need to read what I wrote for comprehension and not for just the sake of arguing.

Did you miss the memo that standardization of procedures, classification, and equipment rules DOES NOT require standardzing the course of fire?

Sporting Clays and practical rifle/pistol are two different things, but if you cannot see the parallels, you need some critical thinking skills injected in your skull.

I gave some constructive criticism and all I get is some fucking kool-aid drinking????

THINK
Link Posted: 2/7/2006 6:15:07 PM EDT
[#29]
For the record, I shoot Highpower because I ENJOY, yes, enjoy, the challenge of precision rifle fire under time pressure.

I also enjoy the tradition of it, the camaraderie of spending an entire day outdoors with like minded folks, and knowing that I am honing the basics of marksmanship to a fine degree.
Link Posted: 2/7/2006 6:41:49 PM EDT
[#30]
Link Posted: 2/7/2006 8:35:11 PM EDT
[#31]
i compete against terrorists, who can get a kill shot first.  won every time.  
and trying to shoot highpower.
Link Posted: 2/7/2006 10:51:11 PM EDT
[#32]
No, but I want to...

Nearest match that I know of is 2 hours away, and it's hard cutting time away from the school books at college That and gas gets spendy..
Link Posted: 2/8/2006 7:06:29 AM EDT
[#33]
Part of the reason I started this thread was because  I constantly see posts from people about liking this gear or that gear, this part or that part, this manufacturer or that manufacturer.

While everyone is entitled to their opnions, certain opnions are more valuable than others.  For instance, I am certainly entitled to my opinion about what bike to use for the Tour De France but Lance Armstrong's opinion is certainly more valuable.

If you don't compete or train with your rifle, then your opinion is less valuable to/than those that do.  Sitting at a bench and shooting is all well and good and does give you some feedback, but ask anyone that has competed and/or trained and 100% of them will tell you that some piece of gear that they previously thought was just great turned out to be absolutely wrong for them when they started moving and shooting, reloading or manipulating the weapon under stress, transitioning to their sidearm, or a host of other issues (or combinations of issues) that only crop up in training and competition.
Link Posted: 2/13/2006 8:46:35 AM EDT
[#34]
Link Posted: 2/13/2006 9:15:20 AM EDT
[#35]
Practical Rifle.

While I have not competed yet with the AR, it will be used in th next match. Up until now I've been using an AK. Basically run, gun, cover against steel and paper. Every once in a while we throw in a pistol and shotgun stage.  Targets range from 3 feet to 300 yards. Random stages each match (I haven't seen a repeat yet).

No IPSC scoring. 2 hits to neutralize, or sometimes one headshot if you're so inclined. 5 attempts max to hit the target (to prevent dumping a mag at a 400 yard targeet with a Berreta Storm (yes, it's been attempted).

As far as equipment, there are no rules. You can bring a Mauser (if you want), AR, AK, FAL, G3, MP5, whatever as long as you can hit what you see. For the CQB matches, there is a class divsion between rifle and pistol cal. carbine.

Classes are divided as follows:
- Scoped (includes red-dot)
- Irons
- Tyro (newbie)
- Women
- Youth

Basically, it's lots of targets, large round count (two to three mags depending) and anything goes.
Link Posted: 2/13/2006 9:46:36 AM EDT
[#36]

Quoted:

Your sanctioning groups could take a lesson from the National Sporting Clays Association.

Your kidding right,  shotgun shooters are the most dangerous, unsafety conscious people in the shooting sports.  I love to shoot clays, sporting clays, 5 stand etc...  but cant stand the people pointing guns at me, nor putting their muzzles on their toes.  Not to mention the arrogance of the top shooters.

I said take a lesson from how the NSCA has a set of uniform rules that still llows for course design creativity.  

I didn't say copy the bad habits of most shotgunners.  Reading comprehension is key.

BTW, you are right on about the unsafe behavior of shotgunners in general.  That is one big reason why I do not shoot SC much at all any more.
Link Posted: 2/13/2006 9:51:48 AM EDT
[#37]

Quoted:
I’ve shot a couple times in our local Practical Rifle matches… team arf.com

"Internet Buddy Squad"
Link Posted: 2/13/2006 9:51:48 AM EDT
[#38]

Quoted:
3 Gun and I used to shoot high power.  I don't miss high power at all.

+1, though I did learn a lot shooting highpower.
Link Posted: 2/13/2006 10:19:56 AM EDT
[#39]
Two pages and not a single picture? For Shame!

Link Posted: 2/13/2006 9:24:48 PM EDT
[#40]
SO SORRY in_burrito!  Pics deleted because we can't have people scrolling through a "bunch of useless pics" to get to the great nuggets of truth contained in this thread

Edited to remove pictures of people shooting matches with AR's
Link Posted: 2/13/2006 9:40:38 PM EDT
[#41]
Heres a little taste of what we do at MODCC shoots

Me on the Mule

Ken Flood(FN Rep) and Jeff O.(CMMG) on the mule

Me shooting -DukeNukem- ROing

Link Posted: 2/13/2006 9:47:35 PM EDT
[#42]
3 gun IPSC,3 gun tactical,practical rifle.
Link Posted: 2/14/2006 3:47:44 AM EDT
[#43]
goddamnit, does everything around here have to get perverted into a picture thread?
Link Posted: 2/14/2006 4:12:28 AM EDT
[#44]
Link Posted: 2/14/2006 4:20:41 AM EDT
[#45]
Not yet.

I'd really like to get into them though.  I've been to a few local 3gun shoots and saw that it looked like some serious fun.  Just not sure about getting into it right yet.  
Link Posted: 2/14/2006 4:44:46 AM EDT
[#46]

Quoted:

Quoted:
goddamnit, does everything around here have to get perverted into a picture thread?

You're mad that someone posted pics of people doing something you asked a question about?

No, I'm annoyed that now everyone has to scroll through a bunch of useless pics to get to the discussion if it continues past this point.
Link Posted: 2/14/2006 4:47:26 AM EDT
[#47]

Quoted:
Not yet.
I'd really like to get into them though.  I've been to a few local 3gun shoots and saw that it looked like some serious fun.  Just not sure about getting into it right yet.  

Don't let apprehension hold you back.  I hear all the time from people that are nervous about competitive shooting for one reason or another.  Usually it's a fear of not doing well.  It's a shame that fear of other's opinions keeps people out.

If you're competent in the manual of arms (i.e. if you know how to change a mag, charge the rifle, operate the safety, etc.) then don't hesitate to come out.  Hell, I organize the matches that I participate in and I have never finished first and have often finished in the bottom 3rd.  If I let fear of "losing" keep me away we wouldn't even have the matches at all.
Link Posted: 2/14/2006 4:51:46 AM EDT
[#48]
Yep - 3 gun/multigun - both USPSA and "outlaw" or IDPA scoring style 3 gun. There are also AR-15  or rifle Side Match at many USPSA events like last month's BlackWater USPSA/IPSC match.  Steel & paper targets out to 200 meters.

I used to just take my AR to the range and "shoot it off the bench".

It occurred to me that its really boring to just sit there & shoot off the sand bags over & over & over, month after month.  It was sort of like the sport of "AR-15 Sighting in practice". Yet that seems to be what most AR owners do with their guns. Its really kind of a stupid waste of a good rifle, IMHO.
Link Posted: 2/14/2006 5:43:33 AM EDT
[#49]

Quoted:  Don't let apprehension hold you back.  I hear all the time from people that are nervous about competitive shooting for one reason or another.  Usually it's a fear of not doing well.  It's a shame that fear of other's opinions keeps people out.

Huge +1.  
Link Posted: 2/14/2006 9:25:51 AM EDT
[#50]
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top