Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login

Site Notices
Posted: 3/25/2009 6:54:47 PM EDT
Do you Loctite your rail-mounted sling swivel mounts? The ones that have securing screws or bolts.
Link Posted: 3/25/2009 7:10:17 PM EDT
I loctite the bolt. I do not loctite the mount to the rails if that's what you're asking.
Link Posted: 3/25/2009 8:38:54 PM EDT
I don't.
Link Posted: 3/25/2009 8:53:53 PM EDT
Yes, I use blue Loctite on the fasteners of my rail mounted QD sling swivel mounts, also all other rail mounted accessories like weaponlight mounts, optic rings, and BUIS.
Link Posted: 3/26/2009 6:07:58 AM EDT
Link Posted: 3/26/2009 7:25:11 AM EDT
I personally don't but its up to the user. I can see the need for blue goo but its just not for me. I move my mount around considering what equipment I'm using and haven't had a sling mount loosen up and fall off, yet.
Link Posted: 3/26/2009 8:55:16 AM EDT
Link Posted: 3/26/2009 4:57:54 PM EDT
Originally Posted By NVBGear:
Originally Posted By Alpha-Romeo3:
Yes, I use blue Loctite on the fasteners of my rail mounted QD sling swivel mounts, also all other rail mounted accessories like weaponlight mounts, optic rings, and BUIS.

Blue if your friend. Use it on anything that has a screw that mounts on the rail.
Red is not.

I agree all screws should be loctite. There is no reason not to.

http://thesurvivalpodcast.com/forum/index.php?topic=1731.0
Link Posted: 3/26/2009 5:50:28 PM EDT
Originally Posted By fyeguy:
I loctite the bolt. I do not loctite the mount to the rails if that's what you're asking.

I meant: just the bolt. Not the mount itself.

Link Posted: 3/26/2009 6:06:55 PM EDT
If you plan to use the weapon you will have parts getting loose. Use blue as stated before. If you just like to look at your rifle, don't.
Link Posted: 3/27/2009 8:03:20 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 3/27/2009 8:07:13 AM EDT by USMC-Helo]
Loctite will degrade and just burn away with heat. I would think only bolts/screws attached directly to the barrel would get hot enough to have that happen.

Still use Moly Grease or Anti-Seize on the barrel nut. DO NOT use loctite in that area, everywhere else, like mentioned it can't hurt.

I got Hi-Temp Loctite for my low profile gas block and bayonet lug, that attach to the barrel. NOT sure if I will use it on the flash suppressor, I'm thinking of getting a comp and swapping back and forth at my whim. The Hi-Temp Loctite is RED, buts its NOT the same as regular red loctite, stronger than the blue but weaker than red. It degrades with heat, but just not as much, its heat resistant you could say. On large bolts on cars, the Hi-Temp loctite could still be taken apart with tools, only a little more force than if I had used blue. On exhaust parts, after a while being exposed to heat, the resistance was no more than blue, probably a little less on bolts that got really hot. Blue would have burned away and been gone on those bolts.

Another advantage to loctite, it helps in taking old bolts apart. It seals the threads and helps to prevent corrosion and seizing. More than one car bolt, that I assembled a decade ago, came apart properly, while the others that never got loctite were rusted and siezed and the bolt snapped off trying to remove it.
Link Posted: 3/27/2009 10:32:12 AM EDT
i wonder why eotech doesnt recommend loctite on their thumb screw mount?
Link Posted: 3/28/2009 6:28:42 AM EDT
Link Posted: 3/28/2009 6:50:53 AM EDT
Originally Posted By NVBGear:
Originally Posted By syborg:
i wonder why eotech doesnt recommend loctite on their thumb screw mount?

This is my opinion, based solely on having to work on the things.

Too many folks seem to think that you have to put enough Loctite on the screw to completely hide the threads before you install the screw. This massive over application will leave you with lots of run off, which will run into the tightly clearanced rail slider and then set up, imobilizing the optic on the rail until you give the 3/4s loosened bolt a slight whack with a deadblow hammer.

After that you get to clean all of the excess off and explain to folks that a little drop is all they need to hold the screw in-place.

+ 1
Just a dab will do.

Top Top