Confirm Cancel
Member Login

Site Notices
Posted: 12/28/2012 5:36:28 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 12/28/2012 5:37:24 AM EDT by AR45fan]
Link Posted: 12/28/2012 5:42:07 AM EDT
Nice "Magpul" logo
Link Posted: 12/28/2012 5:45:13 AM EDT
Airsoft. No seriously they are made under liscence for airsoft.
Link Posted: 12/28/2012 6:00:16 AM EDT
So in this case, being 90% plastic other than a spring and mounting bolt/nut, what would the real difference be from the "official" $100 set? Serious question. Would anyone be able to tell, or would it matter?
Link Posted: 12/28/2012 6:27:07 AM EDT
here is the M4 version

http://dx.com/p/magpul-mbus-front-rear-back-up-flip-up-sight-for-m4-m16-black-2-pcs-159636

still an incredible price
Link Posted: 12/28/2012 6:32:19 AM EDT

Originally Posted By BWhalen:
So in this case, being 90% plastic other than a spring and mounting bolt/nut, what would the real difference be from the "official" $100 set? Serious question. Would anyone be able to tell, or would it matter?
Uh, the quality of the plastic used for starters. Cheap sights, cheap plastic. Roll the dice.

Link Posted: 12/28/2012 6:57:11 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 12/28/2012 6:58:02 AM EDT by BMRisko]
Wow, they've got the entire Magpul line counterfeited! However, I wouldn't be surprised if it all came from the same Chinese warehouse.
Link Posted: 12/28/2012 7:08:57 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 12/28/2012 7:09:34 AM EDT by PFran42]
I went that route initially but the aperture for close/long range would not stay in any one of it's settings. Like it is the case typically, I ended up paying more out of pocket when I purchased a genuine Magpul MBUS Gen 2 set and could not with good conscious off load the PTS or counterfeit (I couldn't tell which it was) sights. I ended up throwing them away. The lesson here is that I went $120 total out of pocket when I could have just kept an eye on EE and picked up a slightly used genuine set for $60.
Link Posted: 12/28/2012 7:11:36 AM EDT

The aperture freely pivots on the rear sight making them 100% worthless.
Link Posted: 12/28/2012 7:20:39 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 12/28/2012 7:20:51 AM EDT by AR45fan]
Originally Posted By BMRisko:
Wow, they've got the entire Magpul line counterfeited! However, I wouldn't be surprised if it all came from the same Chinese warehouse.

The link says they ship directly from Hong Kong. I can't figure out, even with slave labor, how they make any profit at all. I'm on-line trying to buy a real Gen 2 front MBUS and shipping cost alone is running around $9.00.
Link Posted: 12/28/2012 9:20:58 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 12/28/2012 9:37:52 AM EDT by BMRisko]
Originally Posted By AR45fan:
Originally Posted By BMRisko:

The link says they ship directly from Hong Kong. I can't figure out, even with slave labor, how they make any profit at all. I'm on-line trying to buy a real Gen 2 front MBUS and shipping cost alone is running around $9.00.

It makes no sense to me either. I've ordered HDMI cables and stuff from DX and never had any issues. I know a lot of people would frown on this, but I'm half tempted to order a steel Magpul RSA for $7 shipped (aluminum ones are $9 shipped) to see how well it fits on my gun. If it fits well, I can buy a real one for $25 or just keep this one and see how long it lasts...better than buying something that doesn't work well and not being able to return it. I don't see how hard it can be to mess up a little steel sling unless they use some crap metal in their castings and get a lot of pits, but the pictures on DX show a pretty good casting.

EDIT: On second thought, pictures in this link show a pretty good comparison between the HK/Chinese RSA and the genuine one. After seeing that, I'll probably just op for the real deal.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/customer-media/product-gallery/B004HXH6I0?ie=UTF8&index=3
Link Posted: 12/28/2012 10:38:57 AM EDT
Link Posted: 12/28/2012 10:59:02 AM EDT
Originally Posted By PFran42:
I went that route initially but the aperture for close/long range would not stay in any one of it's settings. Like it is the case typically, I ended up paying more out of pocket when I purchased a genuine Magpul MBUS Gen 2 set and could not with good conscious off load the PTS or counterfeit (I couldn't tell which it was) sights. I ended up throwing them away. The lesson here is that I went $120 total out of pocket when I could have just kept an eye on EE and picked up a slightly used genuine set for $60.

I like airsoft stuff for a sort of proof of concept. You buy the cheap stuff and try it out for a while to see if you like the setup and if you do, you get the better stuff when you can afford it. For example, I've got a set of these offset irons that cost $30 off Amazon so I could try them out and see if the concept works for me. If I like the idea, I'll get a set of the Dueck sights when I can afford it. Same goes for different styles of handguards, grips, mini red dots, etc. Ultimately, it costs more to get the cheap version and then the real one but it's better than shelling out $100-$200 on something and then realizing you don't even like it. I did that with a Trijicon piggyback mount for my ACOG. It's just way too high and I don't like the setup at all. I was able to recover a portion of the cost on the EE but I was still out more money than I would have been if I had just tried a cheap airsoft version.
Link Posted: 12/28/2012 11:01:51 AM EDT

The aperture freely pivots on the rear sight making them 100% worthless.

Some Loctite or Gorilla Glue might keep it in position. You'd only be able to use the small aperture but it might be good enough for a .22lr upper. If you hadn't thrown it away, of course.
Link Posted: 12/28/2012 11:42:50 AM EDT
Originally Posted By bluefalcon:

I like airsoft stuff for a sort of proof of concept. You buy the cheap stuff and try it out for a while to see if you like the setup and if you do, you get the better stuff when you can afford it. For example, I've got a set of these offset irons that cost $30 off Amazon so I could try them out and see if the concept works for me. If I like the idea, I'll get a set of the Dueck sights when I can afford it. Same goes for different styles of handguards, grips, mini red dots, etc. Ultimately, it costs more to get the cheap version and then the real one but it's better than shelling out $100-$200 on something and then realizing you don't even like it. I did that with a Trijicon piggyback mount for my ACOG. It's just way too high and I don't like the setup at all. I was able to recover a portion of the cost on the EE but I was still out more money than I would have been if I had just tried a cheap airsoft version.

I agree with you on most points. I purchased a number of UTG and UAG risers, offset mounts, fore grips, etc. just to play with. Truth be told, some of that stuff isn't half bad. I loved my UTG USA-made quad rail and I still like a couple of the risers and flashlight mounts. I have moved on to the high-priced market but I still think there are some really good finds on Amazon.
Link Posted: 12/28/2012 11:55:24 AM EDT

I agree with you on most points. I purchased a number of UTG and UAG risers, offset mounts, fore grips, etc. just to play with. Truth be told, some of that stuff isn't half bad. I loved my UTG USA-made quad rail and I still like a couple of the risers and flashlight mounts. I have moved on to the high-priced market but I still think there are some really good finds on Amazon.

Agreed...I just ordered a cantilever mount on Amazon to play around with for $12. It is supposedly sitting on my front porch now, so I can't wait to get my hands on it and see what kind of quality it is for the price. It seemed to get great reviews on Amazon from people using them on ARs and not airsoft, so we shall see.
Link Posted: 12/28/2012 12:13:33 PM EDT
On that topic, I wonder if maybe we could put together a sort of modified pay it forward thread where we can send along crappy versions of mounts, etc. with the stipulation that the recipient only have it temporarily to test the concept and no money exchange hands.
Link Posted: 12/28/2012 1:02:33 PM EDT
On that topic, I wonder if maybe we could put together a sort of modified pay it forward thread where we can send along crappy versions of mounts, etc. with the stipulation that the recipient only have it temporarily to test the concept and no money exchange hands.

That is not a bad idea...I have a basket of cheap mounts, grips, etc sitting around where I was testing things out and didn't want to shell out for the "real deal". Being that everything was under $15 or so to begin with, it would not be a big deal if someone wanted to get their hands on it to try out.
Link Posted: 12/28/2012 1:04:50 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 12/28/2012 1:05:52 PM EDT by PFran42]
I did that for a college kid that came on here asking if anyone had any spare parts that they didn't need. I sent him a charging handle, a butt stock, some standard rail guards, a grip, some rail panels and a few other odds and ends. Not sure anyone would go for a section like that the way current events are going, but I would be all for something of that nature if and when things settle down.
Link Posted: 12/28/2012 1:46:24 PM EDT
Sounds like a great idea to help some of those who aren't in the best financial shape right now.
Link Posted: 12/28/2012 1:47:42 PM EDT
I'm in. I've got a box o' parts like everyone else. If there's enough interest and the mods are willing to tack it, I'd be happy to send stuff off. Here's how I think the rules should go: Posts to the thread lists parts you have and are willing to ship free of charge. Anyone interested IMs the poster with address and the poster edits his post to delete what's not there anymore. No posts except to list what is available to make browsing through the thread easier. What dya think?
Top Top