Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Site Notices
11/22/2017 10:05:29 PM
Posted: 9/11/2004 6:29:26 PM EST
Is that what makes it an A4 other than the detachable carry handle?
Link Posted: 9/11/2004 6:47:18 PM EST
yes. Flat top receiver and the M5 RAS make it an M16A4.
FREE
Link Posted: 9/11/2004 11:11:17 PM EST
No. The stock unit does not have the KAC, It is a add on feature.

www.colt.com/mil/M16.asp
Link Posted: 9/11/2004 11:34:26 PM EST

Colt M16A4 Rifle is the fourth generation of the M16 weapon system. The M16A4 Rifle still represents the world standard by which all other weapons of this class are judged. Its combat proven performance is verified by the fact that over 8 million M16 weapon systems have been produced and placed in military service throughout the world. With a record that is unmatched by any other weapon system, it is no wonder that the U.S. Marine Corps considers there to be “… no finer service rifle in the world today”.

Colt M16A4 Rifle, now in production, features a performance identical to the M16A2. Physical differences between the two weapons include a removable carrying handle with an integral rail-mounting system on the M16A4. When the carrying handle is removed, any accessory device with a rail grabber, such as an optical sight, can be mounted on the weapon.

The M16A4 Rifle barrel is designed to accept the M203 Grenade Launcher which can easily be assembled to the rifle offering the user both point and area firing capabilities. Also, all US and NATO rifle grenades can be fired without any supplementary equipment.

The new concepts of rapid deployment, mobility and increased firepower play a major part in the overall strategy of modern warfare. Increased emphasis is now put on small tactical units that are able to “get in and out” fast. Increased need for a lightweight, highly dependable, accurate service rifle with added fire power therefore exists. Colt M16A4 Rifle is the ultimate rifle in 5.56mm.

Taken from the Colt site.
Link Posted: 9/25/2004 9:10:40 PM EST
The Corps' version has the railed handguard.
Link Posted: 9/26/2004 2:12:54 AM EST
Nope, issue M16A4 is the semi/3 rd burst and removable carry handle. We had the M4s and M16A4s fielded in 2002 and did'nt get the rail systems until about 2 months before we deployed to Iraq in early 2004. We received the KAC rail systems, M68 CCOs, Surfires, and PEQ-2s all at the same time. All said, the rails and all the assesories make for a heavy rifle, heavier than the M14s we also have.
Link Posted: 9/26/2004 2:25:52 AM EST
Just some additional clarification.

The Army has weapons without the rail system.

The Marine Corps has the A4 which comes complete from FN with the KAC M5 handguards. All Grunt BNs have these weapons.

I do not know who is selling the A4s to the Army but I know for fact who makes mine. I'll see if I can post a pic.

Max
Link Posted: 9/26/2004 4:38:16 AM EST
The A4's we have (here in the Army) are Colt for what I can see. That is the ONLY make we have at least. All of our M16A4's have the RAS on them and we have had them (and the CCO's and PEQ-2's and PAQ-4's) since before I got to my unit. I have yet to see an M16A4 without the RAS on it, but that is just me and my experience. In the last 11 years I have gone from having an M16A2 to an M4 without the RIS and to an M16A4 with the RAS, and I dont feel that the RAS adds that much more weight to the rifles, some but not bad.
Link Posted: 9/26/2004 5:38:56 AM EST

Originally Posted By maxell27:

The Marine Corps has the A4 which comes complete from FN with the KAC M5 handguards. All Grunt BNs have these weapons.

I do not know who is selling the A4s to the Army but I know for fact who makes mine. I'll see if I can post a pic.

Max

With the RAS it is the MWS, not all A4 acquired by the Marine Corps have been brought up to the MWS standard, One of the provisional Battalion that just went out had half of its A4s go without RAS's.
Link Posted: 9/26/2004 6:44:01 AM EST
I recently saw some soldiers with the A4s w/o the MWS. Cound you put pics of A4s if possible?? I qualify with M92F, not very exciting!
Link Posted: 9/26/2004 8:40:12 AM EST
[Last Edit: 9/26/2004 8:49:04 AM EST by DasPferd]
Link Posted: 9/26/2004 8:59:13 AM EST

Originally Posted By STLRN:

Originally Posted By maxell27:

Max

With the RAS it is the MWS, not all A4 acquired by the Marine Corps have been brought up to the MWS standard, One of the provisional Battalion that just went out had half of its A4s go without RAS's.

Once again, my Jarhead friend speaks the truth.

MWS = modular weapons system. Unless the Corps has some completely different procurement system, the MWS is a modification to the base M16A4, not an inherent part of it. Clearly this is not the case.
Link Posted: 9/26/2004 10:56:46 AM EST
[Last Edit: 9/26/2004 10:59:57 AM EST by maxell27]
I can only speak smartly about my regiment. I do not know what provisional rifle BNs get. I do know that the Arty Batteries are also getting A4s with the M5 RAS. In fact for this deployment we are using a mix of A4's, SAMRs and M4's. All have the rail system with the exception of A2 rifles.

We also recently got some ACOGs out here as well, but I saw some message traffic in regards to Aimpoints being available.

Max
Link Posted: 9/26/2004 11:14:44 AM EST
Max
The fielding priority for the MWS was infantry, engineers, artillery and armor. However that was modified with outgoing units taking priority. The provisional battalion I was referring to, is an artillery battalion (not 2/10 they got more than enough and unheard of number of ACOGs) they were told that as more RASs become available they would get them along with more A4s because they only had enough to equipped about 300 Marines with A4s. They also had a problem with not all the parts for the MWS they got, the PEQ/PAQ mount being non-available.
Link Posted: 9/26/2004 7:45:06 PM EST
[Last Edit: 9/26/2004 7:47:14 PM EST by Houndawg]
www.fnmfg.com/products/m16/m16a4usmc.htm

They come straight out of the FN factory with the rail on the USMC version.
Top Top