Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 10/25/2004 9:06:10 PM EDT
I want a semi auto .308. Between an AR10 and an FAL which do I want and why? Give me the scoop boys!

EDIT: and yes I will get both but which should i get first?
Link Posted: 10/25/2004 9:13:20 PM EDT
[#1]
I was thinking the same thing a few months ago and this is what i came up with.  The AR has the edge on accuracy and sights, but the FAL has the edge on reliabilty and simplicity.  Plus its about half the cost for a good FAL.

The one i picked up was refinished by Rich Saunders of CGW he is considered to be top notch in the FAL world and i could not have been more pleased with the rilfe.  I traded one of my Bushmaster 20" A3's straight for it.  It was unfired since refinished a couple years ago and was a safe queen since.  Everyone who has an AR would love a FAL its a damn fine weapon.
Link Posted: 10/25/2004 9:14:01 PM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
I want a semi auto .308. Between an AR10 and an FAL which do I want and why? Give me the scoop boys!

Both ..... Of course .

Link Posted: 10/25/2004 9:21:07 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 10/25/2004 9:24:49 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
One deciding factor between the two:  FALs work.

+1
Link Posted: 10/25/2004 9:26:51 PM EDT
[#5]
really... AR10s aren't reliable? I would have thought they were just as reliable as AR15s, which are just fine to me.
Link Posted: 10/25/2004 9:29:58 PM EDT
[#6]
The FAL is one of the most comfortable Battle Rifles I have ever fired.

Controlled Rapid fire is like slow dancing with a sexy woman.....

MT

Link Posted: 10/25/2004 9:33:45 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
One of the most comfortable Battle Rifles I have ever fired.

Controlled Rapid fire is like slow dancing with a sexy woman.....

MT

Which one?
Link Posted: 10/25/2004 9:35:00 PM EDT
[#8]
the ar10's reliablity isn't even in the same galaxy has the ar15's...  get a FAL...
Link Posted: 10/25/2004 9:36:16 PM EDT
[#9]
Why the FAL of course....(oops)...I fixed it. Thanks

MT
Link Posted: 10/25/2004 9:38:17 PM EDT
[#10]
FAL

although i have heard that the hk g-3 will almost NOEVER jam; its reliablilty surpasses even the AK--but i dont have any real expierence w/ this one
Link Posted: 10/25/2004 9:48:40 PM EDT
[#11]
Who sell the FAL in good price,not considering DSA.Web sites please.I have the same question,AR10 or FAL.
Link Posted: 10/25/2004 9:50:58 PM EDT
[#12]
I am also going to have say the FAL. I currently have one of the DSA STG58, and my step dad has one of Armalite's AR10s. Once I got the gas port adjusted on my FAL. It has been able to digest every type of surplus round I can find for it, mags are still only $5.00. My step dad's AR10 is kinda of picky on the ammo, doesn't like the Portugese or Indian. He bought the mags when they were expensive like $90.00 bucks apiece. I know the price has dropped on them now that the ban is over, but the FAL's are still cheaper. Good Luck.. LiL
Link Posted: 10/25/2004 9:51:47 PM EDT
[#13]
I have an AR10 originally built by JP Enterprises and it RUNS.  Shoots half MOA with FGMM 168gr too.

I'd have to say, for precision work, get the AR10.  For cheap blasting, get the FAL.

[ link to LARGER image ]
Link Posted: 10/25/2004 10:16:47 PM EDT
[#15]
My first instinct is to say the FAL, b ut I guess it kind of depends on what you are gonna be using it for, what kind of configuration you want, and what type of ammo you intend to shoot ($3-$4 a box surplus, or $15 a box or more Super Match Ulta Expensive Primo Loads).

If you're going with Plain Jane, no bull barrels or NM this, that, and the other thing, go FAL.

If you're going to go the whole 9 yards with every Match this and Custom that, then go with the AR 10.

Actually, since you already said you're gonna get  both, go with the tricked out AR10 and plain FAL.

Get the FAL first. That way if for some reason you ever need the rifle for serious use, you've got one hell of a battle rifle, not some tricked out paper puncher that you cant just stuff any .308/7.62x51mm ammo into and expect it to work reliably.

Plus, if you get the FAL first, you might save yourself a whole whopping heap of money by NOT getting the AR-10. Then again, you probably WILL spend that whole whopping heap of money on mags, ammo, and of course, ANOTHER FAL!
Link Posted: 10/25/2004 10:24:40 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:
The FAL is one of the most comfortable Battle Rifles I have ever fired.

Controlled Rapid fire is like slow dancing with a sexy woman.....hr

Yeah... nice way to put that.  Too bad I have only been dancing with a FAL lately, and no sexy women.

If someone would build an affordable 7.62 ar that works, has cheap mags, has parts and accessories readily available, and WORKS, it'll be a great thing.  Until then... I know my FALs work.  That and the whole slow dancing thing.
Link Posted: 10/26/2004 12:22:57 AM EDT
[#17]
FAL.

Unless of course you are specificly focused on accuracy and have the luxury of the "Alabi" in it's normal and intended use.

The FAL was designed, built, and has been evolved as a Military rifle.
The Armalite AR-10 is a comprimise of marketing and adaptation of another design so as to have available a 7.62X51 version of the AR commonly available.

The AR-10 is wonderfully accurate.
The FAL is "Real world" accurate.

The difference is that the FAL, unlike the AR-10 suffers fewer "Bugs" thanks to its development and refinement over the last 45 years or so as a life saving tool.

DSA, or one of the better builders is a sure bet for a great rifle.
Have had great and rewarding contact with Todd Gren at Ohio Rapid fire, and continue to get nothing but glowing praise from the gang at Arizona Response systems.

The folks at Armalite are doing their damn best, but they have never had the luxury of primary battle rifle funding.

I'm a conservative kinda Toad.

My M1A match rifle is NOT a battle rifle as much fun as it is.

The FAL is a no excuses, no shame, no apologies, no pretense battle rifle.

As for advice.
Anything from Hesse or Century is gonna cause heartburn or fits of rage.

In the AR-10.
If you have ANY problems with an Armalite rifle, contact the folks in Illinois ASAP!
Customer service with Armalite is top notch and effective.

S-28
Link Posted: 10/26/2004 1:37:27 AM EDT
[#18]
Instead of the Armalite I purchased the Bushmaster BAR-10. It has all the ambi features I wanted and takes FAL mags. I got the flat top and will put a nice scope on it when the time comes.  For non-scoped battle rifles I've go M1 Garands. In the winter I will suppliment my BAR-10 with and FAL and that will complete my collection for a while.  The FAL will also be able to share mags which will save me some money in the long run. What I don't pay for 10 Armalite mags will pay for my FAL......
Link Posted: 10/26/2004 2:04:33 AM EDT
[#19]
F   A   L
Link Posted: 10/26/2004 3:29:03 AM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:
Instead of the Armalite I purchased the Bushmaster BAR-10. It has all the ambi features I wanted and takes FAL mags. I got the flat top and will put a nice scope on it when the time comes.  For non-scoped battle rifles I've go M1 Garands. In the winter I will suppliment my BAR-10 with and FAL and that will complete my collection for a while.  The FAL will also be able to share mags which will save me some money in the long run. What I don't pay for 10 Armalite mags will pay for my FAL......

I was considering the Bushmaster. Do they run reliably? Seems like the perfect compromise b/w FAL and AR10 if it does.
Link Posted: 10/26/2004 4:43:40 AM EDT
[#21]
$5 FAL Mags
Fals function.
Stay away from anything under $600.00
Hesse, Century, etc.
Link Posted: 10/26/2004 5:15:51 AM EDT
[#22]
Link Posted: 10/26/2004 5:48:53 AM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I'd have to say, for precision work, get the AR10.  For cheap blasting, get the FAL.

Agreed.

The AR10 is certainly a better target gun if that is your thing.  If you want a weapon, get the FAL....

Link Posted: 10/26/2004 8:36:03 AM EDT
[#24]
I use the AR10 for my DMR/SPR, and mine has never failed me with decent ammo.
Link Posted: 10/26/2004 8:40:26 AM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:

EDIT: and yes I will get both but which should i get first?

AR-10 series, although personally I'd go with a Panther .308 by DPMS.

Like the AR-15, the reliability 'issues' are highly overstated, the cost is not as absurd as an ArmaLite, Bushmaster or Knights gun, and accuracy is FAR superior to the FAL

Another good option: buy Eagle Arms AR-10 parts from Quantico Tactical, and assemble your own rifle, saving a few bucks...
Link Posted: 10/26/2004 8:52:26 AM EDT
[#26]
Your question is really an apples vs. oranges question.  My Imbel/STG58 was built as close to original as possible...bipod, US clone flash hider, etc... for an example in my collection.  It has been completely reliable and a pleasure to shoot.  I'm building a second Imbel/G1 rifle with no bipod, no muzzle device for lighter weight.  I'm not a talented shooter, and the FAL can shoot as accurately as I can.  

The AR10 is really more comparable to the M1A or the various custom M14's in terms of accuracy and price.  I have a good friend with an AR10, and it's a great rifle.  He has also paid a bunch of money for a handful of magazines.  I have a USGI-equipped M1A and have to say it's a more comfortable and natural rifle for me to shoot.    

Bottom line:  Get a good FAL first.  Then look for the best alternative for a target rifle.
Link Posted: 10/26/2004 9:03:43 AM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I was considering the Bushmaster. Do they run reliably? Seems like the perfect compromise b/w FAL and AR10 if it does.

I have a little over 5,000 rounds through my BAR-10 and the ONLY problem I've had was a broken extractor at about 3,500 rounds.

See the ongoing saga HERE

My AR-10's have been - well - problematic.

The BAR-10 has demonstrated sub-MOA accuracy with Aussie surplus and uses FAL mags.  It's a great .308 semi-auto.
Link Posted: 10/26/2004 9:04:06 AM EDT
[#28]
My home rolled STG on a IMBEL receiver will shoot MOA with R.W.G. & Port. Surplus. Nor has it yet ot malf. They are easy to get parts for , easy to build and clean. Everyone should love the FAL.
Link Posted: 10/26/2004 9:06:46 AM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:

Quoted:

They are the 2nd most expensive, at $1500, and for no good reason...

ArmaLite, Eagle, and DPMS are all better priced, and more proven designs...

$200-350 will buy you ALOT of 20rd SR-25 (DPMS) or AR-10 (Eagle/ArmaLite) mags....
Link Posted: 10/26/2004 9:11:38 AM EDT
[#30]
Don't bash the price just contact the right person to sell you one....hint hint hint

MT
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top