Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 6/10/2003 8:48:50 PM EDT
I acquired an 11.5" heavy barrel that I am going lengthen to 16" by permanently attaching a fake silencer.

The person I bought the barrel from said that it did not have a "gas port" drilled in it yet.

All of the diagrams I have seen show the gas tube coming straight out of the front of the upper receiver, and into the front sight.

Is there supposed to be a small hole (drilled into the barrel) under the front sight base?

The only hole drilled into my barrel (except the bore) is a small hole where the barrel-centering pin should be. This hole does not go all the way through to the bore, I would guess it is about 1/8" deep. Is this some kind of defect, or can I just fabricate / buy a centering pin to install?

Any help would be greatly appreciated!
Link Posted: 6/11/2003 2:49:13 AM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
Is there supposed to be a small hole (drilled into the barrel) under the front sight base?
View Quote

Yes.
Link Posted: 6/11/2003 3:05:51 AM EDT
[#2]
Sure does.  

Without the hole under the front sight the gas tube won't have any gases flowing back to the bolt carrier and therefore it will not cycle.  
Link Posted: 6/11/2003 7:39:24 AM EDT
[#3]
Yes
Link Posted: 6/11/2003 8:06:53 AM EDT
[#4]
Thanks guys. Being a newbie is a bitch.
Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top