Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 4/19/2007 12:46:10 PM EDT
I am an avid gun collector. I've bought an 870hd, a Glock 22(again), a Kel Tech .380, and now I finally got my S&W M&P 15A!! These were all bought since the beginning of this year. I KNOW there are some of you that buy more guns than me, but my friends don't. Out of all my friends, only a couple are into guns. The rest of them think I'm wasting my money.

Now that I got my new AR, I'm looking to get an Eotech, surefire, new forend, you know, all the goodies!! My friends think I'm nuts, and I need some real gun enthusiasts to make me feel better about these purchases!! lol! Any of you have this problem with your friends?? I'm only 25, so most of my friends would rather blow $200 at the bars in one night! Not my idea of a good time anymore.
Link Posted: 4/19/2007 12:49:34 PM EDT
[#1]
4 lowers

1 RRA complete

1 upper

Glock Model 22

3 LPK's

2 Vltor stocks

and that's not all....your OK, just the beginnings of BRD (Black Rifle Disease) THERE IS NO CURE!!
Link Posted: 4/19/2007 12:53:26 PM EDT
[#2]
height=8
Quoted:
4 lowers

1 RRA complete

1 upper

Glock Model 22

3 LPK's

2 Vltor stocks

and that's not all....your OK, just the beginnings of BRD (Black Rifle Disease) THERE IS NO CURE!!
lol! I'm sure I have the BRD in the past with other AR's, but its worse now that I have the 16" m4, flat top receiver that I wanted! So many more options now!
Link Posted: 4/19/2007 12:53:32 PM EDT
[#3]
It's your money and as long as your paying your bills who should care.  Now if you had kids and they were hungry and barefoot that would be another thing.  Finally, last time I checked COLLECTING guns did not cause liver damage or DUIs.

Good luck

R/
Mike
VA Beach
Link Posted: 4/19/2007 12:59:16 PM EDT
[#4]
height=8
Quoted:
It's your money and as long as your paying your bills who should care.  Now if you had kids and they were hungry and barefoot that would be another thing.  Finally, last time I checked COLLECTING guns did not cause liver damage or DUIs.

Good luck

R/
Mike
VA Beach
No kids yet, and Me and the Fiance are doing pretty good on money. (Just got a 52" DLP HD T.V too. High definition, I couldn't live with out it now!! lol!) And I COMPLETELY agree with you on the problems caused by drinking! Thats why I don't do it...... I'd rather buy ammo! My fiance supports me, and thats just more reason for me to want to marry her!!
Link Posted: 4/19/2007 1:00:24 PM EDT
[#5]
At least you have something besides a hangover for your $200.

And you've only begun.  

I've got...

3 complete ARs.
Rem 597 22lr
Glock 22C
Glock 27
Ruger Mark III

And about 10k of ammo.. give or take a k.  

My collection sucks compared to most peoples on here.
Link Posted: 4/19/2007 1:27:12 PM EDT
[#6]
I've bought over 80 guns in less than 3 yrs.
Link Posted: 4/19/2007 1:46:46 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

2 guns every month. thats awesome

have you shot all of them?

what is your favorite rifle and pistol out of the 80 u have?
Link Posted: 4/19/2007 1:49:28 PM EDT
[#8]
i have bough 8 since july ......sigh,,,ammo has cut into the gunfund

Link Posted: 4/19/2007 2:07:47 PM EDT
[#9]
Shooooosh !  Heres an insider tip of the week. Invest in a leading gun safe manufacture. Add Stock symbol: LAYS to your portfolio.

I dont have any friends w/o 'em........... enjoy and B safe!

FWIW: Last couple of yrs I have became friends w/ a clerk at a shop. He unexpectantly left a few mos back. Today, I found him working at another store....

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"All my money goes up in smoke" ~ source: unknown
Link Posted: 4/19/2007 2:07:56 PM EDT
[#10]
I have built 2 ar's this year and bought allot of accessories.

I am seriously considering building another next month in 22lr because of the ammo prices and it is just fun building them.
Link Posted: 4/19/2007 5:02:31 PM EDT
[#11]
Your purchases can be considered investments.  Meanwhile you friends are literally pissing their money away at the bar.  Not hard to figure out who wasting their money here.  If you are enjoying yourself then keep it up and have fun.  Just don't forget the ammo!!!
Link Posted: 4/19/2007 5:29:48 PM EDT
[#12]
so far this year ive bought a m4(rra upper, dpms lower), and a xd 9mm with night sights and 7 mags, it always amazes me how little i will eat to buy a new gun
Link Posted: 4/19/2007 5:36:48 PM EDT
[#13]
There is no such thing as too many guns/accessories, as long as the guns/accessories are quality and not quantity.

In the end you will always pay double if you skimp on quality.
Link Posted: 4/19/2007 6:16:18 PM EDT
[#14]
This is America, what does the phrase "too many" mean?
Link Posted: 4/19/2007 6:22:03 PM EDT
[#15]
BRD gets worse when you start paying for tax stamps
Link Posted: 4/19/2007 6:29:23 PM EDT
[#16]
Let's see:

I have the following:

four complete AR's (three I built, Armalite I bought ten years ago)
one .308 Fulton Armory stripped lower (waiting for the parts and upper)
Sig P229 (.40 Cal) and 226 (9mm)
Glock 23, 26 and 21
S&W Model 60 .357, 5903, M&P .40 Cal, and 1911SC
Ruger Mini-14
Winchester 1300 Defender
Colt Trooper Mark V .357
H&K USP Compact LEM .40 Cal
Browning BDM 9mm
One ROMY-G AK build that I am completing

And this isn't counting my "work" guns, which include a Steyr AUG (3 round burst), Remington 870 with 14 inch barrel, and Glock 19 (my Glock 26 is my backup)

I am 34 years old, have a great job, not married, no kids (none that I know of), and no girlfriend. When I am with my girlfriends, I usually spend most of my money on them, which make me a great guy or sucker (you guys pick). But right now I am only thinking of me, and me alone.

Dude, it's your money, and do with it as you please. I have DONE a lot of the club and bar scene, and I have had probably the best times in my life with all my friends. But most of my close friends are either married, have long trm girlfriends, engaged to be married, or have moved away to other states. So, I can say, I am over the bar scene. Don't get me wrong; at 25, I would have spent the $200 USD in a heartbeat!! But at 34, I would rather spend that $200 USD bar/club money on ammo, an Eotech (half), or a complete lower build.

Just my two cents.
Link Posted: 4/19/2007 6:40:28 PM EDT
[#17]
Enjoy it while it lasts!  I sold a few things off last year that I wish I would have kept because life changes.  Spend what you can on the hobby now because when you get married, the wife gets pregnent, stops working to be on bedrest(10weeks), the takes 12 weeks maternity leave.........Every penny coming in goes right back out supporting the family.  Granted, I would not trade my wife or my son for the world, and she still supports my hobby (within reason), but my purchases have become more selective and more meaning full.  Just make sure you enjoy what you spend your money on today, because tomorrow your money may need to feed somebody else.

BTW...You have a good start.  You still keed an AK, a garand, and a bolt rifle of some sort.
Link Posted: 4/19/2007 6:42:22 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

Link Posted: 4/19/2007 6:44:05 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

Quoted:

You know what I mean  My girlfriend hates BRD
Link Posted: 4/19/2007 6:46:40 PM EDT
[#20]
Just a little piece of advice if you are not already thinking about it:

I just bought my first AR a few weeks ago, and I know I have the BRD. As everyone has said it is your money spend it how you want. However if you are anything like me I was not thinking about retirement at 25, and older friends made me start dumping money into my 401k. Thank god they did. Now at 33, I think I am going to be set for retirement and I can now afford to play with big boy toys. Enjoy the guns and be safe.
Link Posted: 4/19/2007 6:51:12 PM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:
I am an avid gun collector. I've bought an 870hd, a Glock 22(again), a Kel Tech .380, and now I finally got my S&W M&P 15A!! These were all bought since the beginning of this year. I KNOW there are some of you that buy more guns than me, but my friends don't. Out of all my friends, only a couple are into guns. The rest of them think I'm wasting my money.

Now that I got my new AR, I'm looking to get an Eotech, surefire, new forend, you know, all the goodies!! My friends think I'm nuts, and I need some real gun enthusiasts to make me feel better about these purchases!! lol! Any of you have this problem with your friends?? I'm only 25, so most of my friends would rather blow $200 at the bars in one night! Not my idea of a good time anymore.

Don't feel bad, since I turned 21 this past Sept. I have bought the following:

-S&W 12ga Pump (got it really really cheap)
-SA XD 40 Service
-Bushmaster AR15
-SA XD 40 Subcompact
-Taurus PT1911
-Yugo M70 Underfolder

Then to compliment the purchases, there were dozens of magazines to buy, cases of ammo, gun cases, slings, etc. Oh crap, I think I have a problem too!
Link Posted: 4/19/2007 7:01:21 PM EDT
[#22]
I am 16 years old and already have BRD!

I have
-Walther P22 pistal w/about 200+ of accessories
-Wather G22
-Ruger 10/22
-Stoger 2000(12 ga. shotgun)
-winchester bolt action .223
-mossburg 500 20 gauge
-Muzzel loader(crappy)
-RRA uper on the way, and about to order a lower
-TONS OF AMMO

O I don't know if this counts but a $800 BOW!
Link Posted: 4/19/2007 10:36:48 PM EDT
[#23]
height=8
Quoted:

Dude, it's your money, and do with it as you please. I have DONE a lot of the club and bar scene, and I have had probably the best times in my life with all my friends. But most of my close friends are either married, have long trm girlfriends, engaged to be married, or have moved away to other states. So, I can say, I am over the bar scene. Don't get me wrong; at 25, I would have spent the $200 USD in a heartbeat!! But at 34, I would rather spend that $200 USD bar/club money on ammo, an Eotech (half), or a complete lower build.

Just my two cents.
Yeah, MOST of my old friends aren't in relationships, and are alot "wilder" than me. I have a fiance, and I'm trying to become a Police Officer, so most of these "wild" friends have become acquaintances, by my choice. My buddy's that are into guns, are either cops, in the academy to become a cop. or an aspiring cop. I stay out of bars, and trouble with these guys. hat

Link Posted: 4/19/2007 10:56:14 PM EDT
[#24]
after you have a couple of basic guns you need, AR, 12 GA, full size pistol, carry pistol, go spend money on training and ammo.
Link Posted: 4/19/2007 11:28:17 PM EDT
[#25]
If you shop around, you will always be able to sell them for close to what you paid.  The only thing you lose is the time-value/interest on the money you could have otherwise invested.  

It still beats spending your money in a bar.
Link Posted: 4/19/2007 11:47:20 PM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:

You sound like me! I'm 25 and only a few of my buddies are into guns. I bought a Tactical XD45 BiTone and a PT1911 in the beginning of March. I just bought an Eotech 552, A3 upper receiver, ARMS #40, Midwest Industries 2 piece quad rail, and some Magpul XT railcovers. I'm also going to send in my RRA Midlength HBAR to Randall to have the barrel reduced to a govt profile. I don't mind how much I spend on my guns. I love guns. Don't feel bad. You may spend a lot on guns, but you have something to show for it. After spending money in a bar, you only have a hangover and sometimes a night in jail to show for it! BTW, I don't drink at all and I never understood the bar/club thing. I'd rather go shooting or fishing with my wife! That's me though!

ETA: I own page 2!!!
Link Posted: 4/19/2007 11:48:00 PM EDT
[#27]
Get a C&R FFL and start collecting old rifles, that will save you money.
Link Posted: 4/20/2007 2:51:51 AM EDT
[#28]

2 guns every month. thats awesome

have you shot all of them?

what is your favorite rifle and pistol out of the 80 u have?

Thats the same as asking a parent which is their faovrit child. I really could not pick.
Link Posted: 4/20/2007 3:36:04 AM EDT
[#29]
You remind me of me thirty years ago when I bought a Colt series 70 45 for $190.00. a S&W model 29 for $185.00 a Sako 22-250 Varminter for $185.00 an HK 91 for $350.00 etc, etc. I still got em....did I wast my money? All are well cared for but much enjoyed.
Link Posted: 4/20/2007 4:22:09 AM EDT
[#30]
Ok, My last bit of wisdom .......

It could be worse, you think BRD is expensive?  Talk to some folks who golf!  I don't mind hitting some balls once in a while, but with some it is an obsession.  Some of these clubs cost more than guns.  My range membership is $80.00, ganted indoor, but I can shoot rifles.  Compare that to any golf fees.

I also study Karate and that can take up 7 days a week somethimes, but that is time spent with my daughter, building mind and body and does not even require shoes.

One "HOBBY" I am gald I did was school, My last two years of active duty I was able to complete a MS degree and that is paying me now.  I earn more than market and that money pays for a lot ammo.  

Listen to your older friends when they suggest you invest in yourself also (education and certs, retirement savings, investments...) It will equate to more and better toys.
You can consider your firearms investments, but remember to "diversify".

Next wife wants to take diving course and go to Caribean.......

My inventory includes:
2 ARs
1 SKS
SA 1911
G-19
Various S&W revolvers
Rem 870
Ammo locker is over 5000 rounds
Lots of goodies

R/

Mike
VA Beach
Link Posted: 4/20/2007 4:33:58 AM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:
Get a C&R FFL and start collecting old rifles, that will save you money.

My C&R "saves" me so much that I'm eating cheap mac & cheese half the time.  

Link Posted: 4/20/2007 5:43:59 AM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:

I concur!
Link Posted: 4/20/2007 7:24:49 AM EDT
[#33]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I concur!

I AM NOW IN INTENSIVE BRT (BLACK RIFLE THERAPY) AFTER AN INTERVENTION FROM MY BUDS! HELP!

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top