Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Variants
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 2/10/2013 8:02:36 PM EDT
I currently own and have been training with a Browning A-Bolt LRH in .300 R.U.M. with a Nikon Buckmaster scope and swivel Bi-Pod. I will say first that I plan on upgrading the scope. Now this rifle is an absolute peach for shooting at 500M. I know it can shoot well even further, but locally 500M is the longest I am aware of. I do like that it is said (by others) to be accurate out to close to 1000M. Right now I am going through an AR phase and I am thinking about building either an AR-10 or an AR-15 in 6.5 Grendel or one of the WSSM. However, I am also thinking that I don't really need it. I mean the only thing that the AR has over the Abolt is ROF, and with these long range precision weapons, if you can't do the job in 4 shots (the Abolts 3+1 capacity) then you're doing it wrong. Are there any other advantages of having a long range AR over a bolt action?
Link Posted: 2/10/2013 8:25:19 PM EDT
[#1]
Quoted: Are there any other advantages of having a long range AR over a bolt action?

At range, you can lose your 2nd target when you take your eye off the scope to cycle the bolt.  And when the walkers are swarming, you need ALL the help you can get.

Link Posted: 2/10/2013 8:37:05 PM EDT
[#2]
Cheap to build and shoot.
Link Posted: 2/10/2013 8:40:59 PM EDT
[#3]
I have one thats dead nuts accurate to 600 yards. Further than that, I use a .308.

Quoted:
Quoted: Are there any other advantages of having a long range AR over a bolt action?

At range, you can lose your 2nd target when you take your eye off the scope to cycle the bolt.  And when the walkers are swarming, you need ALL the help you can get.

A competent user of a standard (not bullpup) bolt rifle should not have to take their eye off the scope to cycle the bolt.

.308 and calibers with similar or below recoil, I can fire, see the impact, cycle the bolt, make minuscule adjustments, and repeat.
Link Posted: 2/11/2013 12:49:52 PM EDT
[#4]
well, I dont know about "need" but a semi auto is alot more fun to shoot while being able to do everything a bolt can and more.
I can goto 700 yards in the back yard. my DPMS REPR in .260 rem is extremely accurate, and I can watch the bullet impacts in the scope while shooting.
my bolt guns havnt been out in years.
Link Posted: 2/11/2013 1:05:34 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Are there any other advantages of having a long range AR over a bolt action?

Yeah, you'll really piss off Diane Feinstein, Chuck Schumer, Barbara Boxer, Barak Obamer, Chris Matthews, Mario Cuomo, that NYC mayor guy, Jerry Brown, Joe Biden, Piers Morgan, Carolyn McCarthy, et. al.

What better reason could there be??

Link Posted: 2/14/2013 10:10:36 PM EDT
[#6]
Pull the trigger but I would wait a bit till the madness and the prices come down
Link Posted: 2/15/2013 3:57:08 AM EDT
[#7]

I love this girl!
Link Posted: 2/15/2013 4:47:02 AM EDT
[#8]
My favorite AR right now.

Link Posted: 2/15/2013 5:12:35 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
I currently own and have been training with a Browning A-Bolt LRH in .300 R.U.M. with a Nikon Buckmaster scope and swivel Bi-Pod. I will say first that I plan on upgrading the scope. Now this rifle is an absolute peach for shooting at 500M. I know it can shoot well even further, but locally 500M is the longest I am aware of. I do like that it is said (by others) to be accurate out to close to 1000M. Right now I am going through an AR phase and I am thinking about building either an AR-10 or an AR-15 in 6.5 Grendel or one of the WSSM. However, I am also thinking that I don't really need it. I mean the only thing that the AR has over the Abolt is ROF, and with these long range precision weapons, if you can't do the job in 4 shots (the Abolts 3+1 capacity) then you're doing it wrong. Are there any other advantages of having a long range AR over a bolt action?

Nobody NEEDS an AR........haha see what I did there?
Link Posted: 2/15/2013 5:27:57 AM EDT
[#10]
Perceived recoil. Semi auto has a huge advantage when it comes to perceived recoil. Someone else noted the cycling the bolt and eyes on target, but IMHO, the real advantage is perceived recoil. With an AR, you can also swap caliber by swapping bolt and upper in a matter of moments, meaning .308 to 300WSSM in 3 minutes or less.

Did I mention recoil?
Link Posted: 2/15/2013 10:09:04 AM EDT
[#11]
"Need?"

After a certain age, need has nothing to do with it!  If I want it, I need it!

I love my .308 bolt guns but I have a soft spot for my ARs just because I put them together.  Like reloading your own ammo, building your own rifle adds a little spice to the shooting.
Page AR-15 » AR Variants
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top