Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 5/5/2003 7:52:08 PM EDT
I'm thinking about replacing the bolt on my old SP-1.
Should I get a new carrier too?

My bolt is looking pretty tired.

boltface pic
Link Posted: 5/5/2003 8:17:32 PM EDT
[#1]
Your pic doesnt work.
Link Posted: 5/5/2003 8:28:55 PM EDT
[#2]
try this:

[url]http://photos.yahoo.com/bc/derek45auto/vwp2?.tok=bcBnzgRBuAmCzGhR&.dir=/Derek45autoPics&.dnm=ARsp1bolt.jpg&.src=ph[/url]
Link Posted: 5/5/2003 9:48:14 PM EDT
[#3]
Wow, you have worn a canyon into the face of your bolt.

For all of those having trouble viewing the pic:
[img]http://img.villagephotos.com/p/2003-5/115840/ARsp1bolt.jpg[/img]
Link Posted: 5/5/2003 9:57:57 PM EDT
[#4]
That bolt has seen alot of rounds! I dont know if you should replace the carrier or not. I would make sure to give it a close inspection during each cleaning.
Link Posted: 5/5/2003 11:05:55 PM EDT
[#5]
Looks exactly like the original bolt in my SP-1. I just replaced the bolt and it's working fine.

BTW, are you using Federal primers? I kept getting gas seepage between the primer cup and pocket with them. That's what caused the pitting in the bolt face. I switched over to Remington 7 1/2 primers and no pitting, so far.
Link Posted: 5/6/2003 6:45:05 AM EDT
[#6]
Are you seeing the pic?
...or do you have to click on the link?
Link Posted: 5/6/2003 1:39:42 PM EDT
[#7]
Roger on Remington 7 1/2s.  It was specifacally developed for use in the 5.56/.223, and it's the only primer I'll handload the round with.

Re the pic, that sure is one eaten out bolt face.  My SP1 has several thousand rounds thru it, both milspec and handloads, and looks new compared to that one.  Hell, I've got a milsurp M16 bolt in my parts box, that's so old it still has the white extractor spring insert, and they haven't used those since 1966, and it doesn't look halfthat bad.  The erosion ring looks like the old European milsurp rifles that went thru WW2 using corrosive ammo.
Link Posted: 5/6/2003 3:33:15 PM EDT
[#8]
If you intend to use your old carrier, make sure the new bolt fits tight enough to pass the 'hang' test. Assemble the new bolt in the carrier and hold the bolt by the locking lugs. Now gently shake the carrier back and forth. If the bolt 'unlocks' from the carrier, then there is too much play in the carrier and you will need a new one.
Link Posted: 5/6/2003 4:33:49 PM EDT
[#9]
The lugs seem to be in good shape and the rim of the bolt face is fine, but the pitting?  I do not know it that will cause any adverse effects on functioning but looks like hell.

How is your rifle functioning?  Any problems?
Link Posted: 5/6/2003 4:39:01 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
The lugs seem to be in good shape and the rim of the bolt face is fine, but the pitting?  I do not know it that will cause any adverse effects on functioning but looks like hell.

View Quote

It acts like it needs a new extractor/extractor spring.  I know it's ready for a new bolt, I'm thinking I can just buy the bolt, no need for the carrier too.

[b]Can you guys see my pic, or do you have to click on the link?[/b]
Link Posted: 5/6/2003 5:20:29 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Quoted:

View Quote

It acts like it needs a new extractor/extractor spring.  I know it's ready for a new bolt, I'm thinking I can just buy the bolt, no need for the carrier too.

[b]Can you guys see my pic, or do you have to click on the link?[/b]
View Quote

You're probably right about the carrier being OK.  You might want to take a close look at the inner cylinder, where the gas rings bear, to make sure that the hard chrome is still intact. If so, you're OK with the carrier.[:D]
Link Posted: 5/7/2003 4:48:46 PM EDT
[#12]
Holy Crap!!

That bolt is seriously f**ed up; although the lugs look unusually new and crisp. (???)

The carrier is probably perfectly fine. $50.00 will get you a new bolt.
Link Posted: 5/7/2003 4:55:17 PM EDT
[#13]
I hope that some day I might be able to say that I have worn out a bolt carrier and bolt. Congratulations.
Link Posted: 5/7/2003 5:00:14 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
I hope that some day I might be able to say that I have worn out a bolt carrier and bolt. Congratulations.
View Quote

thank you
Link Posted: 5/7/2003 8:44:51 PM EDT
[#15]
Slightly on topic:

If you intend to use your old carrier, make sure the new bolt fits tight enough to pass the 'hang' test. Assemble the new bolt in the carrier and hold the bolt by the locking lugs. Now gently shake the carrier back and forth. If the bolt 'unlocks' from the carrier, then there is too much play in the carrier and you will need a new one.
View Quote

So, if I have a used carrier and bolt, and the bolt assembly is placed into the upper, with charging handle, and the upper (not mounted on the lower) is held muzzle skyward, and the carrier works its way loose and falls out of the upper, will this instance mean I need a new bolt, bolt carrier, or both?

Thanks,

-Zmeja
Link Posted: 5/7/2003 9:19:20 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Slightly on topic:

View Quote

So, if I have a used carrier and bolt, and the bolt assembly is placed into the upper, with charging handle, and the upper (not mounted on the lower) is held muzzle skyward, and the carrier works its way loose and falls out of the upper, will this instance mean I need a new bolt, bolt carrier, or both?

Thanks,

-Zmeja
View Quote

It means, at least, that you need new bolt rings.  A "NO GO" Gauge would be helpful to determine if the bolt is excessivley worn.
Link Posted: 5/8/2003 3:38:41 AM EDT
[#17]
[size=3][b]Can you guys see this or not ?

[/size=3][/b]
[img]http://us.f1.yahoofs.com/users/f349632b/bc/Derek45autoPics/__hr_ARsp1bolt.jpg?BC3tzt.AJro75Fh_[/img]
Link Posted: 5/8/2003 4:00:07 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
[size=3][b]Can you guys see this or not ?

[/size=3][/b]
[url]http://us.f1.yahoofs.com/users/f349632b/bc/Derek45autoPics/__hr_ARsp1bolt.jpg?BC3tzt.AJro75Fh_[/url]
View Quote

NOPE

Chris
Link Posted: 5/8/2003 4:26:15 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
View Quote

That bolt face isn't damaged by use. It's damged my using bad reloads. Gas leaking out the primer pocket has destroyed the bolt face. Not saying the guy hasn't seen some trigger time. I'm just saying the only thing that will cause that kind of pitting is leaking primer pockets. A lot of them.
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top