Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Site Notices
9/22/2017 12:11:25 AM
Posted: 4/7/2006 3:46:45 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 4/9/2006 10:04:02 AM EDT by TANGOCHASER]
WHY? Because I get .45 firepower in a 9mm package. .45 mags are still an unsolved issue with the .45 conversion. .45 GAP rounds feed out of 9mm mags and are currently factory loaded to .45 +p levels so I loose nothing compared to a regular .45 setup.

Almost done. All I need is a flip up front sight that attaches to the hand guard. I used a Thompson submachinegun, 16" barrel from Gun Parts Corporation. I had a local machine shop shorten the chamber by milling a little off the rear of the barrel and then they made me a new barrel extension that has Thompson barrel threads instead of AR barrel threads. A regular Thompson barrel can be used for an inexpensive, .45, upper build.

Uses 9mm Sten mags and a KKF magwell filler block with an Delton upper I drilled for the Oly Arms spring ejector.

The new barrel extension doesn't have the angled cone shape for the bolt like the Oly extension but it still feeds great.

So what do you guys think?
Link Posted: 4/7/2006 4:34:35 PM EDT
That is a really nice setup and you did some really nice personal engineering setting up the tommy gun barrel. I always wondered when somebody was going to try the .45 GAP round in the AR.
Link Posted: 4/7/2006 4:36:54 PM EDT
Good concept. Looks good to. I'd have to do something with the end of the barrel.

Range report???
Link Posted: 4/7/2006 6:17:25 PM EDT
I'll try to get to the range this weekend and check accuracy but it runs like a raped ape. No failures to feed or eject.
Link Posted: 4/7/2006 7:38:14 PM EDT
What mods, if any, to the Sten mag to be able to get the 45 GAPs in there? Assume widening of the lips?
Link Posted: 4/7/2006 9:41:10 PM EDT
Widening of the lips is all that was needed. .45 GAP hollow points fit and work the best. I can get 16-17 rounds in a Sten mag and boy does it need a mag loader.
Top Top