Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 1/15/2006 3:30:55 PM EDT
I read recently on ACOG's website that Sweden has a fire and forget disposable anti-tank weapon that uses a compact ACOG for sighting.  Does any one have any idea what is to hapen to the optic once the weapon is disposed of?
Link Posted: 1/15/2006 4:53:29 PM EDT
[#1]
I always thought that "fire and forget" referred to the weapon's ability to stay on  target after being fired without the shooter's input though a cable that told it where to go.  
Link Posted: 1/15/2006 5:31:00 PM EDT
[#2]
I hope they keep the optic and use it on another weapon
Link Posted: 1/15/2006 5:40:24 PM EDT
[#3]
There's a big difference between "fire and forget" and "disposable".  Fire and forget, as stated before, means that once the weapon is fired, the projectile finds the target on its own.  Most modern guided missles are "fire and forget".  If you are talking about "disposable",  you are looking at something like the LAW rocket, where the user fires the weapon, then discards the tube.

I havnt heard about this particular unit, but i'd be willing to bet it, even if Trijicon is making the sighting system for it, it won't be an ACOG that you can unbolt from the unit and strap onto your rifle.  Chances are it will be a cheap (at least by Trijicon's standards) optic designed for one firing and to be junked.
Link Posted: 1/15/2006 5:44:54 PM EDT
[#4]
The Stinger missile is fire and forget and disposable, but you keep the sighting unit.
Link Posted: 1/15/2006 8:53:25 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
The Stinger missile is fire and forget and disposable, but you keep the sighting unit.

As is the Javelin, and the Dragon it replaced.
Link Posted: 1/17/2006 4:27:12 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
I read recently on ACOG's website that Sweden has a fire and forget disposable anti-tank weapon that uses a compact ACOG for sighting.  Does any one have any idea what is to hapen to the optic once the weapon is disposed of?

You read correctly.  Saab Bofors Dynamics makes the NLAW anti-tank weapon that uses a compact ACOG sight.  It is a disposable unit but the ACOG can be removed.  I am sure that they are recycled after training, but in actual combat they probably get tossed with the tube.

Here's the link:  www.saab.se/dynamics/node5560.asp

Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top