Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Slings and Other Accessories
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 5/27/2013 5:30:30 PM EDT
What's your favorite covert rifle bag(s)?

I'm looking for something else to use other than my 5.11 dual rifle bag, which is huge and isn't very covert, and my UTG bag which totally looks like it has a rifle in it. It would have to be fairly long because I'd prefer not to break the rifle down.

I was gonna pick up one of these:
http://www.amazon.com/UTG-Deluxe-Covert-Homeland-Security/dp/B001WJ6P4S/

just came accross this backpack that has enough from 2 ARs
http://www.sneakybags.com/store/CRB_Covert_Rifle_Bags_Medium
http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=_bpZAYNWJq8#

non firearms related cases/bags I've thought of using:
guitar, tennis, golf, sports duffle
Link Posted: 5/27/2013 5:54:40 PM EDT
[#1]
Things to avoid so you don't get outed.

Rectangular bags = gun case. Not discreet.

Molle = Not discreet.

"Tactical" brands = Not discreet.

Earth tone/camo = Not discreet.
Link Posted: 5/27/2013 6:04:07 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:

Molle = Not discreet.

good points. Although I do think rectangular is better than the obvious rifle shaped bags.
If I do get a sports or musical bag, my neighbors will think i'm weird carrying around 3-4 guitars or 3 tennis bags lol.
Link Posted: 5/28/2013 5:27:43 AM EDT
[#3]
I have the Larue case and it's good, although it could be more compact.
Link Posted: 5/28/2013 5:30:26 AM EDT
[#4]
There is a discreet bag in the ARFCOM store.
Link Posted: 5/28/2013 9:12:26 PM EDT
[#5]
The ENDOM GYM-E bag in black/grey is my favorite.

GYM-E Bag
Link Posted: 5/29/2013 3:51:21 AM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 5/29/2013 8:11:29 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
The ENDOM GYM-E bag in black/grey is my favorite.

GYM-E Bag

I was going to make a post asking pretty much the same question, but this bag in black and grey is exactly what I'm looking for. Thanks.
Link Posted: 5/29/2013 3:14:08 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

Molle = Not discreet.

Nu uh,   This one says discreet!
http://www.amazon.com/Voodoo-Tactical-Discreet-15-9658-Digital/dp/B005HRCV58/ref=sr_1_6?ie=UTF8&qid=1369868999&sr=8-6&keywords=Voodoo+tactical+36
Link Posted: 5/29/2013 3:15:05 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

Molle = Not discreet.

Nu uh,   This one says discreet!
http://www.amazon.com/Voodoo-Tactical-Discreet-15-9658-Digital/dp/B005HRCV58/ref=sr_1_6?ie=UTF8&qid=1369868999&sr=8-6&keywords=Voodoo+tactical+36Discreet
Link Posted: 5/31/2013 3:48:50 AM EDT
[#10]
I have this Bulldog discreet rifle case.
http://images2.opticsplanet.com/365-240-ffffff/opplanet-bulldog-cases-ultra-compact-ar-15-discreet-carry-case-29-in-navy-v2.jpg

You have to break the rifle down, but it allows a nice compact case. Holds 2 30rd mags and is divided for upper and lower. I took double sided velcro and hot glued 2 loops on each side of the divider to strap the lower/upper to prevent movement. The color is a navy blue and looks like it could be a keyboard case or something else...doesn't scream, GUN! Also, I have a 16" upper and if fits just right, but any longer and you'll need to get a bigger case.

I'll take a few pictures later.

This is where I purchased mine, but it was $27 a few weeks ago. So, shop around.
http://www.opticsplanet.com/bulldog-cases-ultra-compact-in-ar-15-discreet-carry-rifle-case-29-in-navy-blue.html
Link Posted: 5/31/2013 4:17:02 AM EDT
[#11]
I usually don't like to reveal my secrets but try a tennis racket bag, it works great. Get the type that holds two rackets. Put your upper in one side and your lower in the other. I added some closed cell foam to mine for a nice snug fit with added protection.
Link Posted: 6/1/2013 5:13:42 AM EDT
[#13]

That looks nice and all but please educate me. What is that supposed to look like? I mean people don't carry bags like that...EVER! I mean sure, you could say you are an engineer and that you are transporting calibration equipment but that would mean you would have to communicate that to everyone. I haven't been into the AR platform for too long but if I would have seen that bag 10 years ago, I would have instantly thought...GUN!!!

I think the skateboard bags, guitar cases, softball bags and double tennis racquet bags do a much better job at misdirection.

Please don't take this as a knock on your fine bag. It is just an honest opinion.

Link Posted: 6/1/2013 6:56:40 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
There is a discreet bag in the ARFCOM store.

I've got one of those.  It works well.  Can either carry one of my 16" carbines around broken down, or a pistol or SBR in one piece.
Link Posted: 6/1/2013 1:25:00 PM EDT
[#15]
I think i'm going to go with a double guitar "gig bag". Looks like you can get a decent one on amazon for about $50

something like this:

so I can look like a cool musician lol

Link Posted: 6/2/2013 11:35:20 PM EDT
[#16]
have you looked at some of the packs from Eberlestock ?

I bought one of there cherry bomb packs and my 8.5" SBR fits perfectly and it doesnt look "tactical" at all. it looks like any other backpack for hiking etc.

The quality and craftsmanship is top notch. They are pricey, but worth it in my opinion.
Link Posted: 6/5/2013 1:11:51 PM EDT
[#17]
I don't have photos but...... wrap a towel around the AR, put it in a clothes hamper, then put some dirty clothes on-top. To your neighbors it will look like you're going to do laundry.
Link Posted: 6/5/2013 2:30:14 PM EDT
[#18]
i use tennis racket bag but my switch to this

linky
Link Posted: 6/5/2013 2:49:32 PM EDT
[#19]
I have two Larue discreet cases, and they rock.  You said you didn't want to break the AR down, I also have an Eagle Industries Discreet Case Cross B/W Standard and LE.  It is great if you don't want to break down your AR.

Link Posted: 6/5/2013 3:12:47 PM EDT
[#20]

Not my pic but mine looks exactly like this old '80s Fender plastic guitar case.

I just put two pieces of thick foam sheets inside and it's good to go.

Link Posted: 6/5/2013 5:12:28 PM EDT
[#21]
surfboard bag, unless you live nowhere near  the ocean...

Link Posted: 6/5/2013 7:44:57 PM EDT
[#22]
Golf bag. Hard plastic golf bag travel case.
Link Posted: 6/8/2013 9:17:42 AM EDT
[#23]
Just ordered one of these. LA Police Gear had the best combo of price/shipping I could find, even before the 5% off coupon code I applied. Supposed to look like a skate board case I guess, and it might. Doubt anyone will buy me as a skateboarder, but I'm not too concerned. At least it's not cammo and "assault weapon" shaped. It will carry the carbines broken down separated by an internal flap, or my AR pistol quite nicely I think.
Link Posted: 6/8/2013 11:20:34 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
Just ordered one of these. LA Police Gear had the best combo of price/shipping I could find, even before the 5% off coupon code I applied. Supposed to look like a skate board case I guess, and it might. Doubt anyone will buy me as a skateboarder, but I'm not too concerned. At least it's not cammo and "assault weapon" shaped. It will carry the carbines broken down separated by an internal flap, or my AR pistol quite nicely I think.

Too bad it is not 1" longer and I wouldn't have to break anything down.
Link Posted: 6/10/2013 1:10:53 PM EDT
[#25]
Currently on the hunt for something in a nice plaid pattern. lol. I'm diggin the tennis racket case and the fender case. Hopefully I'll come up with something soon. Seriously considering trombone bags/cases. Fairly cheap and long enough to fit an assembled rifle.
Link Posted: 6/10/2013 2:46:10 PM EDT
[#26]
Whats up with the discreet thing anyway?  Trying to sneak past somebody?

My neighbors "used" to be nosy and it was a little akward telling them it was a rifle in my bag....they dont seem to bug me anymore.

Surfboards and Tennis gear can be expensive too so hopefully this isn't to keep people from breaking into your cars!  

I'm all about discreetness... but the real issue is I hate having to disguise my hobby from everyone and feel guilty about what I do so I simply don't care anymore.  

Very cool ideas here though!

I use a Blackhawk tactical messenger bag and a 36" Drago 2 rifle bag both in tan
Link Posted: 6/10/2013 9:16:06 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

My neighbors "used" to be nosy and it was a little akward telling them it was a rifle in my bag....they dont seem to bug me anymore.

Surfboards and Tennis gear can be expensive too so hopefully this isn't to keep people from breaking into your cars!  

I'm all about discreetness... but the real issue is I hate having to disguise my hobby from everyone and feel guilty about what I do so I simply don't care anymore.  

I use a Blackhawk tactical messenger bag and a 36" Drago 2 rifle bag both in tan

I think you are missing the point.  It's not about being guilty or hiding from the neighbors, its about being a sneaky bastard!
Link Posted: 6/11/2013 4:20:07 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

for me it's about not letting bad guys know that I have guns in the house.
Link Posted: 6/12/2013 6:06:07 AM EDT
[#29]
i park my car in the garage and load it up. i pull my rifle out in the parking lot at the range. i unload my car in the garage. no need for a discreet case. if someone sees my car leaving the shooting range they obviously know i have a gun
Link Posted: 6/12/2013 6:21:07 AM EDT
[#30]

The Blackhawk Diversion bags are pretty cool.
Link Posted: 6/19/2013 10:59:51 AM EDT
[#31]
If you have a 10.5" SBR or smaller, this works well:

Link Posted: 6/25/2013 10:28:18 AM EDT
[#32]
Get a garage and you dont have to worry about bags to conceal your rifle when walking to your car, unless your trying to hide it from your wife
Link Posted: 6/25/2013 11:01:42 AM EDT
[#33]
I use a tennis racquet bag.
Link Posted: 6/25/2013 12:02:27 PM EDT
[#35]
Link Posted: 6/27/2013 11:42:16 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
Get a garage and you dont have to worry about bags to conceal your rifle when walking to your car, unless your trying to hide it from your wife

Get a garage? Ok, I could buy a tennis bag for 30$, or spend $20k building a garage. I love the billionaire logic, but most of us are beggers.
Page AR-15 » Slings and Other Accessories
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top