Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 4/12/2006 3:32:34 PM EST
I just got a new Larue 9.0 hadguard and as soon as I took it out of the package I noticed whitish discolorations around the base. Does anyone else's look like this?

The discolorations run on all four sides of the base. I applied oil, but it made no difference...it looks like the anodizing dye was removed from these areas, or never applied right, as if glue seepage prevented the dye from getting in the crevices.

Also, most of the edges of the rails look poorly machined.

I have had two other Larue's in the past and this is by far the worst looking of them. In fact, I sold my "old" 9.0 just so I could get the new type with the built-in sling swivel, and this is what I got.

So, is this normal and acceptable? Would you consider it purely cosmetic?

Link Posted: 4/12/2006 3:40:34 PM EST
I'm a Larue user/fan and I would not accept that. Call'em they make it right.
Link Posted: 4/12/2006 4:00:25 PM EST
Absolutely unacceptable. But what gets me is where is their quality control? How do they even let that get shipped out of the building?
Link Posted: 4/12/2006 4:01:59 PM EST
[Last Edit: 4/12/2006 4:25:15 PM EST by HP40]
Hey, WTF, It's only cosmetics, tie it to a logging chain and drag it down a gravel road a few miles, then run over it few times with your suv after you've used it for a fire place poker for a bit, I guarentee you'll never notice those little manufacturing flaws again. Geeze, the nerve of some people thinking just because they've spent the better part of a weeks pay for something it ought to look good.
Link Posted: 4/12/2006 4:22:28 PM EST
Link Posted: 4/12/2006 4:34:13 PM EST
[Last Edit: 4/12/2006 4:34:31 PM EST by Stickman]
Link Posted: 4/12/2006 5:04:40 PM EST
Link Posted: 4/12/2006 5:22:25 PM EST
Should I contact Larue directly, or the retailer I bought it from?
Link Posted: 4/12/2006 5:29:56 PM EST
Contact Larue directly. It's not the fault of the seller you got it from.
Link Posted: 4/12/2006 5:33:40 PM EST
I don't know much about this stuff, but something just doesn't seem right. I'm really surprised to see such shotty craftsmanship on a product that has such a good/strong reputation. It's almost hard to believe that it left the factory in such condition, which begs me to wonder if in fact you actually received a new rail. Seems a little fishy, that's all.
Link Posted: 4/12/2006 5:49:51 PM EST
[Last Edit: 4/12/2006 5:52:21 PM EST by Another-Bill]

Hey, WTF, It's only cosmetics, tie it to a logging chain and drag it down a gravel road a few miles, then run over it few times with your suv after you've used it for a fire place poker for a bit, I guarentee you'll never notice those little manufacturing flaws again. Geeze, the nerve of some people thinking just because they've spent the better part of a weeks pay for something it ought to look good.

lol, lol, lol, lol, AND SO ON.
The nerve of people!!!!
Hell, the rail costs as much as a Mini-14, whay should a "tool" look good?
Tie that SOB to the back of a long haul tractor rig for a week, then the "in-the-know" guys at the range won't laugh at you.

Bill
Link Posted: 4/12/2006 5:50:27 PM EST
Shit happens guys. No need to start bashing the products. People make mistakes and I am sure LaRue wouldn't have wanted that one in a buyers hands anyways.
Link Posted: 4/12/2006 6:21:09 PM EST
Yes, I hope no one gets hyper about this. I came here to see if anyone had the same issue, and to see what I should do, not to stir up shit. But, knowing ARFCOM, I expected some reaction . There was more wrong with this handguard, but I din't want to beat a dead horse, and I didn't think they would photograph well anyway. I have a bunch of Larue stuff, so this must be a fluke; I simply wanted to get some imput, because I have never seen anything like this in the builds on the picture thread and in the tech forums.

I bought this from a reputable dealer, so I don't buy into the conspiricy theory. I'm sure no human saw this thing after the milling machine spat it out.
Link Posted: 4/12/2006 6:30:07 PM EST
I will only say this:

Larue customer support is the BEST I have ever dealt with ...period.

They will make it right in a heartbeat. Give them a call. You'll probably have a new one in hand before the week is out.

Jon
Link Posted: 4/12/2006 6:35:17 PM EST
You don't know how lucky you are...

Anytime I have had even the slightest problem with an order....Mark takes a personal interest..

Then the goodies roll in....you'll see...

It almost much better to have LaRue mess up your order...just knowing the extras you get for your
trouble...aint nobody out there will treat you as good as LaRue...

you call this guy here tomorrow morning...he will take care of the problem...

Mike Early, LE/Mil Sales
LaRue Tactical/APPI
512-259-1585
512-259-1588 Fax
www.laruetactical.com

imo
Link Posted: 4/12/2006 7:12:52 PM EST
tag
Link Posted: 4/13/2006 3:27:39 AM EST
i have one that looks like it has blue loctite on it but its minimal and i have never really tried removing.

+1 on calling mark, he will take care of you and make up for the troubles well.
Link Posted: 4/13/2006 3:32:37 AM EST

Elmer's Glue
Link Posted: 4/13/2006 3:54:27 AM EST
[Last Edit: 4/13/2006 11:41:51 AM EST by comp1911]
The last 9.0 I got looked just like that.

*shrug*

Link Posted: 4/13/2006 4:05:09 AM EST

Originally Posted By Hooligan22:
Contact Larue directly. It's not the fault of the seller you got it from.

Correct. BUT, you should still tell the seller so they can check the rest of the ones they have in stock.
Link Posted: 4/13/2006 4:13:47 AM EST
[Last Edit: 4/13/2006 4:15:45 AM EST by AKM]

Thats the Glue joint area. Looks like they used a little too much.
Link Posted: 4/13/2006 4:29:26 AM EST

Originally Posted By AyeGuy:
Yes, I hope no one gets hyper about this. I came here to see if anyone had the same issue, and to see what I should do,

You didn't know what to do? Are you only able to make a decision by committe? Sending it back to the manufacturer isn't exactly rocket scientist level thinking.

not to stir up shit. But, knowing ARFCOM, I expected some reaction .

It's called trolling. You can't shake the hornets nest and then claim you didn't mean to stir up the hornets.

There was more wrong with this handguard, but I din't want to beat a dead horse, and I didn't think they would photograph well anyway. I have a bunch of Larue stuff, so this must be a fluke; I simply wanted to get some imput,

Input to what? You already knew you had a bad part, one far below the level of quality generally expected from the manufacturer. You also know that if you return it it will be replaced with a good one. What's really going on is you got a bad part from a good manufacturer and you want to 'show off' their mistake. Now I have no real problem with this, I have called a couple of manufacturers on poor service here in the past. If you want to call Larue out on a bad part, fine, do so, but don't expect us to buy this 'i only wanted input' crap.

Link Posted: 4/13/2006 4:46:37 AM EST
I called right away this morning about this issue and my other problem in my thread here. All the tech guys are at a show and am waiting for a call back from one of the assemblers.

Link Posted: 4/13/2006 5:21:56 AM EST
ALL MUST BOW TO EVILBERTS SHREWD PSYCHOANALYSIS OF AYEGUY!!

Geez dude, lighten up. I too thought he should probably just contact the manufacturer, then the dealer to warn him. I didnt, however, find it necessary to try and analyze the poster's motivations, and attempt to shed light on some sort of emotional shortcoming of his. I would have to assume that most, myself included, come to ARFCOM to learn; to see things they havent seen before (like this guys problem). I've learned a lot about our favorite weapon just by seeing the problems others have run into.

I'm just saying you outa tone it down just a little bit, unless of course the mods want to open a special forum section for newbies and others like AyeGuy (obviously NOT a newbie with 2357 posts to your 67) who have a question or observation that would likely incense you guys with short fuses.

Now back to our regularly scheduled program.
Link Posted: 4/13/2006 6:34:01 AM EST
Super Glue makes dark surfaces turn white.
Link Posted: 4/13/2006 7:08:44 AM EST

Originally Posted By EvilBert:

Originally Posted By AyeGuy:
Yes, I hope no one gets hyper about this. I came here to see if anyone had the same issue, and to see what I should do,

You didn't know what to do? Are you only able to make a decision by committe? Sending it back to the manufacturer isn't exactly rocket scientist level thinking.

not to stir up shit. But, knowing ARFCOM, I expected some reaction .

It's called trolling. You can't shake the hornets nest and then claim you didn't mean to stir up the hornets.

There was more wrong with this handguard, but I din't want to beat a dead horse, and I didn't think they would photograph well anyway. I have a bunch of Larue stuff, so this must be a fluke; I simply wanted to get some imput,

Input to what? You already knew you had a bad part, one far below the level of quality generally expected from the manufacturer. You also know that if you return it it will be replaced with a good one. What's really going on is you got a bad part from a good manufacturer and you want to 'show off' their mistake. Now I have no real problem with this, I have called a couple of manufacturers on poor service here in the past. If you want to call Larue out on a bad part, fine, do so, but don't expect us to buy this 'i only wanted input' crap.

+1

This should have never been a post. First should have tried to resolve with Larue and ONLY after that post if not satisfied.

I talk to my kids about tattle-tails and how men work out their problems.
Link Posted: 4/13/2006 7:28:46 AM EST
Link Posted: 4/13/2006 7:32:30 AM EST
[Last Edit: 4/13/2006 11:42:39 AM EST by comp1911]

Originally Posted By Boom:

Originally Posted By niceguymr:
I don't know much about this stuff, but something just doesn't seem right. I'm really surprised to see such shotty craftsmanship on a product that has such a good/strong reputation. It's almost hard to believe that it left the factory in such condition, which begs me to wonder if in fact you actually received a new rail. Seems a little fishy, that's all.

That's a very good point. I wonder if someone tampered with the rail before he received it. Its possible, unlikely but possible.

Every company does make mistakes. LaRue has made them with me. But the mistake was corrected so fast, I could not believe the speed which they took care of the problem. That's says a lot about LaRue.

I just wish other companies gave a shit about their customers like LaRue.

I doubt tampering. The last 9.0 I got looks justlike that one. Came from Denny's still in the original plastic.

Not a big deal to me.
Link Posted: 4/13/2006 7:33:02 AM EST
Looks like Kool-Aide to me !

j/k
Link Posted: 4/13/2006 8:30:47 AM EST
My DD 9.0 is fine
Link Posted: 4/13/2006 9:03:16 AM EST
[Last Edit: 4/13/2006 9:03:58 AM EST by need11at46]
That's a very good point. I wonder if someone tampered with the rail before he received it. Its possible, unlikely but possible.

Every company does make mistakes. LaRue has made them with me. But the mistake was corrected so fast, I could not believe the speed which they took care of the problem. That's says a lot about LaRue.

I just wish other companies gave a shit about their customers like LaRue.

I received a 9" Hand Guard which I could not tighten down (the included screws would not reach the inner ring). I called LaRue and Mark took my call. We couldn't figure out the problem over the phone so he asked me to send him my entire upper assembly (in pieces at this point) by FedEx (using his account). This was on a Friday afternoon. My parts were returned on Monday morning, fully assembled. The problem was my hand guard included the wrong inner ring used to tighten down the hand guard (for the older model). He worked on Saturday to resolve my problem AND assembled the entire upper assembly for me - NO charge. LaRue's customer service is second to none.
Link Posted: 4/13/2006 9:38:57 AM EST
Link Posted: 4/13/2006 10:06:31 AM EST
I gotta wonder why people post problems BEFORE they have contacted the company or at least the dealer they bought it from. As others have said, why does it matter what the masses on ARFCOM think??? Every manufacturer I have ever bought anything from (Colt to Trijicon) has had an issue at one time or another. It happens and you deal with it (directly with the company). If the company tells you to go away THEN you come on the board and share your experience.
Link Posted: 4/13/2006 11:32:30 AM EST
The white stuff is the result of the spot welding.

It is aluminum oxide that was not cleaned off before the finish was applied (the finish wont stick to rust).

I have a KAC FF RAS that has the same issue. Mine actually crumbled off.

I just cleaned it up with a wire brush a stuck a little TW-25 on it.
Link Posted: 4/13/2006 11:43:08 AM EST

Originally Posted By 0100010:
www.uline.com/images/product/Medium/HD_1701_M.JPG

+1
Link Posted: 4/13/2006 11:46:15 AM EST

Originally Posted By cpt_en_ca:

+1

This should have never been a post. First should have tried to resolve with Larue and ONLY after that post if not satisfied.

I talk to my kids about tattle-tails and how men work out their problems.

No +1 with me. Read again what I said. I have no problem with him showing the problem here before he contacted the manufacturer. It's not what I would have done, but it is perfectly valid to post it here in the forum, that's what it's for. Iwould hope that when Larue make right on it, and I believe 100% they will, he's just as fast to post how well the company took care of him.

My observation was that he was full of crap claiming that he was only posting to inform us and gain some 'input' as to what to do about it. He knew full well that posting his message would start a minor shit storm and to claim that that wasn't also his intent is bull.

It's rather like hoping that if you yell 'FIRE' in a crowded theater everyone will procceed out in an orderly manner but knowing full well you're really going to start a stampede, then claiming the stampede wasn't your intent in the first place.

Link Posted: 4/13/2006 11:48:57 AM EST
[Last Edit: 4/13/2006 11:49:24 AM EST by metroplex]

Originally Posted By Vapor-Trail:

It is aluminum oxide that was not cleaned off before the finish was applied (the finish wont stick to rust).

I thought they used adhesive for the LaRue? The Daniel Defense is welded. I've seen some outstanding adhesives developed.
Link Posted: 4/13/2006 11:59:59 AM EST

Originally Posted By Amadeus:
ALL MUST BOW TO EVILBERTS SHREWD PSYCHOANALYSIS OF AYEGUY!!

No need to bow, a respectful curtsy will do.

Geez dude, lighten up. I too thought he should probably just contact the manufacturer, then the dealer to warn him. I didnt, however, find it necessary to try and analyze the poster's motivations, and attempt to shed light on some sort of emotional shortcoming of his. I would have to assume that most, myself included, come to ARFCOM to learn; to see things they havent seen before (like this guys problem). I've learned a lot about our favorite weapon just by seeing the problems others have run into.

I wasn't concerned about his post, just his claim that he wasn't trying to start something when we all know that that's exactly what was going to happen .

Link Posted: 4/13/2006 12:00:27 PM EST

Originally Posted By metroplex:

Originally Posted By Vapor-Trail:

I thought they used adhesive for the LaRue? The Daniel Defense is welded. I've seen some outstanding adhesives developed.

I must be mistaken then.

My KAC did have rust on it though.

I just looked at my Larue, and you are right, no weld marks.

Perhaps the finish didnt adhere to excess adhesive
Link Posted: 4/13/2006 12:30:07 PM EST
Looks like dog shit, send it back
Link Posted: 4/13/2006 6:16:51 PM EST
Link Posted: 4/14/2006 12:08:16 PM EST
If my forend looked like that: I'd let LaRue see a pic of it as to find out why it looks like it does. If I found out that it was'nt going to get any worse, I'd put that thing on my rifle and shoot all day long. (Or at least till I ran out of ammo.)

As far as the "poor machining" goes... Since the machining pics show me that anything I clamp onto the rail will definately stay where I put it, it's a non-issue.

BTW. Has anybody else noticed that the more "worn" a pair of new blue jeans are, the more they cost? I think Levi's calls these "destructed jeans".

You just got yourself a "destructed forend"!
Link Posted: 4/14/2006 2:57:54 PM EST
Larue will make it right. Looks like you'll be getting a new hat.
Link Posted: 4/14/2006 6:03:57 PM EST
One day later:

I'm a man and can admit to my errors. I should have called Larue first. My mistake: I wanted an answer quick, and went to a public forum. I shall not do it again, knowing the marginal personalities one will find in any large cross-section of people. Live and learn. My apologies to Mark Larue.

Anyone doing ameteur psychoanalysis and ascribing hidden motives and malicious intent on my part need only Search my posted topics; I have over 2300 of them, so I have established a profile. Mostly they are questions, ranging from AR stuff to personal fitness, with a lot of other weird stuff why like cats are so different from dogs, the best cammo clothing, and stuff about airplanes. But mostly questions.
Link Posted: 4/14/2006 6:25:26 PM EST
Mark LaRue is the MAN.

Nobody can question that.

That being said - there is nothing about that rail system I would have even thought twice about. Seriously.
Link Posted: 4/14/2006 6:47:31 PM EST
Let me tell you why I thought twice about it. Like I said, I had two other Larue rails; on neither of them could the join between the base and the handguard be seen. On this new one a seam could be seen. My concern was that the two components were not fully joined together, and could possibly fail.

A few months ago I started a topic asking how these rails were made. I found out that they were "cold bonded" together (glued), as welding would weaken the juncture. GLUE you say? Not to worry. Most airplanes are now held together with glue...one well-informed aviation industry person told me "the sky would be raining parts if that stuff did not work".
Link Posted: 4/14/2006 7:00:58 PM EST
[Last Edit: 4/14/2006 7:03:43 PM EST by Boom]
Link Posted: 4/14/2006 7:08:40 PM EST
I see the moron trolls have found this thread.
Link Posted: 4/14/2006 9:12:08 PM EST
Holy shit. Now that's customer service! I have an urge to buy something from them now.
Link Posted: 4/14/2006 9:25:02 PM EST
Top notch customer service. Maybe i'll use LT for my next build.

Look at all that cool (FREE) stuff!
Link Posted: 4/14/2006 10:42:11 PM EST

Originally Posted By LaRue_Tactical:

Originally Posted By doubleup:
Looks like dog shit, send it back

"Hello all, LT has asked me to take on handling their internet issues for them full-time and this will be issue #1 - anyone with any cosmetic issue on any LT product is always welcome to return it....no questions asked...full refund or exchange. Also the LT guarantee is "Better than Dillon's" ( well, as good as:-) .

What you are seeing is a specimen that missed the touch-up operation - we just missed it. Don't know how we missed it though because in these photos it looks like a flashing neon sign, but missed it we did. Our apologies -

WTF

P.S. LT keeps their operation close-hold, so methods of manufacturing won't be disclosed.

Mike/Mark,

My LaRue 12.0 looks like shit. I don't know what the problem is. I've ran it for almost 2 years, and have bolted everything known to man to the rail. It has been dropped less times than I have shot the rifle (12,000+ rounds through various builds), and has only been banged into one wall (probably close to 100 times)...

It has finish missing from a Troy Front sight that did not have the detent secured properly, from an ARMS #32 Bipod Mount, a Surefire M900A and M962, and numerous rail panels and vertical grips. I also believe that my PEQ might have caused a scratch or two.

I also dinged the rail with a punch trying to remove a gasblock. Don't ask. During a test of the thermal properties of the steel barrel nut, I believe I might have bent the threaded rear portion or the rail. Again, don't ask.

All in all, my rail looks like crap, and I want a new one. Yesterday. With 2 ballcaps, 2 spare dillos (My old one looks like shit as well, thanks to Arrogant Bastard and Dos Equis, the big meanies), and another gasblock.

I know you put your rails together with Elmers wood glue as well. I would like the upgraded model that uses atomic fusion to bind the rail together. And I want it with pink flowers on it.

Thank you. By the way, I'll be calling Monday to actually order a gasblock and check on the progress of that thing we talked about.

John has a long moustache.

-Tally

BTW, AyeGuy, this isn't a stab at you, and its cool (although totally predictable) that LaRue hooked you up with uber-goodies.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Top Top