Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 12/29/2012 7:32:02 AM EDT
I've been wanting to buy an extra AR lower ever since all this crazyness started. Well, unfortunately all I can seem to find are stripped lowers (at higher prices of course). I really no nothing about building AR's. How hard would it be to complete a lower? I don't want to buy a stripped lower only to find out I don't know how to put it all together!
Link Posted: 12/29/2012 7:40:28 AM EDT
[#1]
Did my first one last month. Very easy
Google and YouTube r ur friend
Link Posted: 12/29/2012 7:40:54 AM EDT
[#2]
Buy yourself a Lower Parts Kit (if you can find one or at least a decent deal on one) and head to brownells or Youtube. There are step by step instuctions that really dumb it down to -10 level assembly. There are a couple of tools that make the job easier, but a Lower is actually pretty easy to build. And if you were ever a Lego fan, its more fun and satisfying too.
Link Posted: 12/29/2012 7:41:02 AM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:

I've been wanting to buy an extra AR lower ever since all this crazyness started. Well, unfortunately all I can seem to find are stripped lowers (at higher prices of course). I really no nothing about building AR's. How hard would it be to complete a lower? I don't want to buy a stripped lower only to find out I don't know how to put it all together!

It's not hard at all.

If you can change the brakes on your car after reading/watching instructions, you can do it.

YouTube is your friend.
Link Posted: 12/29/2012 7:42:05 AM EDT
[#4]
Ok, thanks. Maybe a stripped lower is a good option then. Just have to see how much a lower parts kit would go for...
Link Posted: 12/29/2012 7:45:20 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

Ok, thanks. Maybe a stripped lower is a good option then. Just have to see how much a lower parts kit would go for...

Around 150 for everything at PSA

Link Posted: 12/29/2012 7:48:28 AM EDT
[#6]
Thank you
Link Posted: 12/29/2012 7:49:53 AM EDT
[#7]
It's nothing but an assembly.
You can do it in about 40 minutes your first time, going slowly and paying attention to the instructions.
After a couple you'll be snapping them together in 15 minutes.

Watch a few assembly videos.
Identify and segregate the springs that are different. (common rookie mistake)
Use roll pin starters and roll pin punches.
Tape your receiver up well when you do the bolt release pin.
Use any or all of the tricks and tools to get the detents in easily.
Link Posted: 12/29/2012 8:20:31 AM EDT
[#8]
The first one I did was completed with a parts diagram and instructions from here.

Now I just sit down in the floor and separate the parts in the LPK and start putting things together.  

Its not bad at all once you get the hang of it and it can be addicting.  Once you do it, you'll want to do it again, and again.  Just too many variations/models out there to just have one or two.
Link Posted: 12/29/2012 8:26:25 AM EDT
[#9]
I just put one together a few days ago. Not only is it the first time I've done so, it is also the first AR I have ever had. I just used FALARAK's "Assemble your own LOWER, UPPER....." post to do it. Only problem I had were the roll pins being a pain and not wanting to go in at first, had to use the pliers method to get it to go in...oh and not installing the disconnector spring at first. Had to figure out why I had a tiny spring left over at the end. Took me maybe an hour and that was with my problems with the roll pins and the power going out on me half way through.
Link Posted: 12/29/2012 8:26:47 AM EDT
[#10]
I built 2 so far, the first one I built sitting on my bed in front of my laptopp, I used the guide here, my wife constantly reminds me of the scratch in the headboard from a flying spring that just missed her face.

I was instructed to take the second one in the basement to complete. If you can change a tire or put a puzzle together, you can build a lower, hardest part for me was getting the pin in the trigger guard without breaking thhe ear.
Link Posted: 12/29/2012 8:27:49 AM EDT
[#11]
If you know how to use a pair of pliers watch the instructions 3 times, double check all the steps and have lunch in the middle of it, it will take you 30 minutes and you will wonder why you didn't do it 10 years ago.
Link Posted: 12/29/2012 8:33:14 AM EDT
[#12]
Very simple. I did my research on here for about three months to figureout what extras I wanted and followed the youtube videos. 1 hour later I had a complete lower. I highly recommend stag arms lower parts kit because it comes with an extra detrnt pin in case you lose it.
Link Posted: 12/29/2012 8:41:24 AM EDT
[#13]
I built 10 in an hour. It went too fast and made me feel cheap.

Don't use pliers.
Link Posted: 12/29/2012 8:45:35 AM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 12/29/2012 9:37:37 AM EDT
[#15]
go for it. they're simple as long as you have a fraction of skill using your hands and small parts/springs.

do it somewhere parts will be easy to find when they shoot out of there and go flying across the room. no shag carpets
Link Posted: 12/29/2012 12:15:55 PM EDT
[#16]
I built one for the first time this summer. I had no experience with AR platform before. Got mine put together with the help of youtube. Easier then you would think it is.
Link Posted: 12/29/2012 12:56:04 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

It's not hard at all.

Written and video instructions are available all over the place - AR15.com, Brownell's, You Tube, etc.  

Just make sure you have the right tools.  Some tools are "nice to have" such as front pivot pin detent tool, or a tap to tap the rear pivot pin detent channel for retaining screw.  Other tools are necessary such as punches (preferably roll pin punches), a hammer, and a screwdriver.  

Ask in your HTF if someone is hosting a build party any time soon.  You bring the beer and pizza, they supply tools and know-how.

ETA - If you care about appearance, buy some Birchwood Casey Aluma-Black.  Chances are you might make an oops and scratch your receiver.
Link Posted: 12/29/2012 1:07:56 PM EDT
[#18]

+1 - It's stupid easy.  Have fun.  The trickiest parts are the front pivot pin detent (it's easy to launch across the shop), the bolt stop pin and the trigger guard pin.  Follow the directions in the linked thread above.  You can make or buy a special tool for the pivot pin detent, but it's not necessary if you're careful.  You might buy an extra one before you start, just in case.

Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top