Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Troubleshooting
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 3/1/2006 8:58:56 AM EDT
Hi guys.  I have a RRA factory rifle that has a hard time with tac reloads.  Specifically, when the bolt is closed and I load a fresh mag, it is unusually difficult to get it to catch.  This slows reloads down as I have to really hit the mag hard (and often more than once) to get the mag catch to engage.  This same senario is true with various mags, so that's not the issue.  What do you think--do i need to relieve some material from the mag catch?
Link Posted: 3/1/2006 9:11:49 AM EDT
[#1]
The standard answer:

Man up and push hard to lock it in!! (for use with properly loaded 30 rounders)

The follow up by someone who doesn't have a sense of humor and thinks the first replier is just being an idiot:

"Tac loads are easier when using standard magazines if you download to 29 or 28 rounds then the spring isn't as compressed and it's easier to load the fresh mag in since there's less spring resistance."

The next standard: You should buy the HK mags, you can fully load them and they're easier to seat in the magwell when fully loaded. Plus, they cost like 4 or 5 times as much as the USGI mags.

And don't forget:

Only wusses tac-reload. Shoot til dry, slap a new mag in and smack the bolt release. If Sam Stoner intended shooters to tac-reload all day long, he wouldn't have made the bolt release so damn easy to hit in sequence with loading in a fresh mag.

So, choose your favorite answer from the above, and just go with that.
Link Posted: 3/1/2006 9:17:46 AM EDT
[#2]
Offload your mags, fr00t!

Link Posted: 3/1/2006 10:25:29 AM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 3/1/2006 10:27:09 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Hi guys.  I have a RRA factory rifle that has a hard time with tac reloads.  Specifically, when the bolt is closed and I load a fresh mag, it is unusually difficult to get it to catch.  This slows reloads down as I have to really hit the mag hard (and often more than once) to get the mag catch to engage.  This same senario is true with various mags, so that's not the issue.  What do you think--do i need to relieve some material from the mag catch?

Are you down loading your mags to 28? This is generally considered SOP for the HSLD crowd.

C4

www.GRTactical.com

What he meant to say:

AYDLYMT28? TIGCSOPFTHSLDC.

Link Posted: 3/1/2006 11:10:52 AM EDT
[#5]
First off...markm doesn't exist.

Second, I tried various mags with fewer rounds than 28.  

Third, this isn't a problem with my other rifles or other rifles I have used--that's why I brought it up.
Link Posted: 3/1/2006 11:20:44 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

Ok, Derek!
Link Posted: 3/1/2006 11:27:49 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

Second, I tried various mags with fewer rounds than 28.  

Third, this isn't a problem with my other rifles or other rifles I have used--that's why I brought it up.

are any of them AR15's or is this RRA your first AR?
Link Posted: 3/1/2006 11:43:03 AM EDT
[#8]
They are all AR's...custom, RRA, Bushy.
Link Posted: 3/1/2006 12:57:40 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

Great... try either: swapping the mag catch from one of them with your RRA, then see if there's a difference.

or, just unscrew the mag catch by one revolution. If it's tightened more than the others you own are, it  would effectively create more resistance via the mag catch due to increased spring compression in the first place.
Link Posted: 3/1/2006 12:59:18 PM EDT
[#10]
28 rounds.

Link Posted: 3/1/2006 1:08:36 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Great... try either: swapping the mag catch from one of them with your RRA, then see if there's a difference.

or, just unscrew the mag catch by one revolution. If it's tightened more than the others you own are, it  would effectively create more resistance via the mag catch due to increased spring compression in the first place.

I'll give that a try...thanks for the advice.

28 rounds.

Read the entire thread...as stated the problem occurs with 28 and fewer rounds.
Link Posted: 3/1/2006 1:09:29 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

I'll give that a try...thanks for the advice.

28 rounds.

Read the entire thread...as stated the problem occurs with 28 and fewer rounds.

Oops!  Sorry, I didn't see you follow up post.

Does it happen with completely empty mags?
Page AR-15 » Troubleshooting
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top