Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Rimfire and Pistol Calibers
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 9/15/2005 1:21:08 PM EDT
Will I need a different buffer or can I just slap the upper on my RRA lower (for the Gov't model 5.56) , put in the mag block, put in a modified UZI mag that RRA sells and go to it?

Thank you for any help.
Link Posted: 9/15/2005 1:47:21 PM EDT
[#1]
there are faq threads tacked at the top that should have the info.

would need the bolt group, hammer and a hevier buffer would be wise.
Link Posted: 9/15/2005 1:55:27 PM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
there are faq threads tacked at the top that should have the info.

would need the bolt group, hammer and a hevier buffer would be wise.

Actually, I tried the FAQ and it looks like just another rambling thread with some information here and there not organized in a typical FAQ point form question/answer format.  It didn't answer my question in the time I gave it (although maybe my question isn't "frequent").

Thanks why I'm thankful ARFCOM is a discussion forum.

Thanks for the info.

ETA:  Oh look!  I found something unformatted in a run-on string that is a response and I can't really tell if it's part of the "official" FAQs or just some guy who doesn't know:

quote]Quoted: Can a person mix and match Bolt/Carrier units for the Colt Style 9mm uppers, ie will a RRA or ASA Bolt/Carrier unit work in a Colt Upper (or the opposites)?  yes quote]Are all of the various Mag blocks for the Colt style uppers interchangeable? mostly - might be an exception here or there Will a standard 5.56 buffer/spring work with a 9mm? yes - but 5.56 buffer springs in a telestock can cause problems in full auto, though.

I don't know...I am still glad I asked.
Link Posted: 9/15/2005 2:13:13 PM EDT
[#3]
think the board codes were messed up some how. causing the words "quote" to show up instead of actual

quotes

although jumbled they are still there
Link Posted: 9/15/2005 3:45:55 PM EDT
[#4]
Seems like it would be easier to just answer the question than tell you where to find it.

I have used the standard 5.56 buffer with no problems. When I did finally decide to buy the 9mm buffer, my rifle wouldn't function anymore. Been using the 5.56 buffer for almost 2 years with no problem at all.
Link Posted: 9/15/2005 4:09:11 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
Seems like it would be easier to just answer the question than tell you where to find it.

I have used the standard 5.56 buffer with no problems. When I did finally decide to buy the 9mm buffer, my rifle wouldn't function anymore. Been using the 5.56 buffer for almost 2 years with no problem at all.

LOL  THe 9mm buffer jacked it up but it worked with the 5.56 buffer...OK, that's weird but it'd make it easier for me.

Thanks for the info.  I'm interested in a different upper or two and I though a 9mm would be cool.

Cheers,
Link Posted: 9/15/2005 4:35:58 PM EDT
[#6]
The buffer isn't going to be the issue with your setup. If you are swapping calibers you may have some hammer issues. Both of my 9mm ARs are dedicated so I don't know the specifics.
Link Posted: 9/15/2005 5:01:07 PM EDT
[#7]
Rock River lists all the required parts on their web site.  You just need to do a little looking.
Link Posted: 9/15/2005 5:36:22 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
Will I need a different buffer or can I just slap the upper on my RRA lower (for the Gov't model 5.56) , put in the mag block, put in a modified UZI mag that RRA sells and go to it?

Thank you for any help.

You do not say which stock you have..........

If std rifle stock, leave it alone, though I weighted mine to 7oz because I run a suppressor quite often with 9mm.

If CAR stock, you "MIGHT" consider the  "9MM" CAR style buffer just for the weight, it is a few points heavier than the std rifle buffer -->  5.1 vs 5.5oz avg

DO NOT  put a CAR buffer in a rifle tube, no matter what RRA says, accident waiting to happen.

-------------------------------------------------------------------

Quoted:
think the board codes were messed up some how, causing the words "quote" to show up instead of actual "quotes"

They get scrambled every time the board format changes... all that has to be done is the poster has to go back and hit edit, and submit, though he/she be wise to simply space it back out before submit again... look at my posts, most should be back in line correctly.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------

Quoted:
If you are swapping calibers you may have some hammer issues. Both of my 9mm ARs are dedicated so I don't know the specifics.

The only hammer needed is the basic M16 hammer  missing the "auto lug" for semi-auto use,  DPMS and a few other vendors sell this hammer, then swap tops to your heart' content.... you dont see M16 owners swapping hammer now do you?
Link Posted: 9/19/2005 3:27:03 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
Rock River lists all the required parts on their web site.  You just need to do a little looking.

Thanks for the 411, I knew this part of ARFCOM would be a wealth of information.
Good thing we have a specialty forum dedicated to this subject.
Link Posted: 9/19/2005 3:29:40 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Thank you for any help.

You do not say which stock you have..........

If std rifle stock, leave it alone, though I weighted mine to 7oz because I run a suppressor quite often with 9mm.

img.photobucket.com/albums/v504/capttoyota/9mmARapart.jpg

If CAR stock, you "MIGHT" consider the  "9MM" CAR style buffer just for the weight, it is a few points heavier than the std rifle buffer -->  5.1 vs 5.5oz avg

DO NOT  put a CAR buffer in a rifle tube, no matter what RRA says, accident waiting to happen.

-------------------------------------------------------------------

Quoted:
think the board codes were messed up some how, causing the words "quote" to show up instead of actual "quotes"

They get scrambled every time the board format changes... all that has to be done is the poster has to go back and hit edit, and submit, though he/she be wise to simply space it back out before submit again... look at my posts, most should be back in line correctly.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------

Quoted:
If you are swapping calibers you may have some hammer issues. Both of my 9mm ARs are dedicated so I don't know the specifics.

The only hammer needed is the basic M16 hammer  missing the "auto lug" for semi-auto use,  DPMS and a few other vendors sell this hammer, then swap tops to your heart' content.... you dont see M16 owners swapping hammer now do you?
img.photobucket.com/albums/v504/capttoyota/ARhammer.jpg

Thanks.

I have the 6 position "Tactical CAR stock" with my carbine so based on what you're saying it sounds like I might consider the 9mm buffer.

As for the hammer, I honestly don't know.  I will have a look at it and compare it to the pic you posted.

Thanks again.

Page AR-15 » Rimfire and Pistol Calibers
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top