Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 3/12/2006 9:05:02 AM EDT
Hi,
I've been lurking in the shadows for several months, learning a heck of allot.  I bought a complete Bushmaster 16" heavy barrel carbine, 3 Stag stripped lowers, a Stag lower parts kit and a Rock River Upper, so far..... My question I have now is, what is the difference between a $15.00 1/2"
Riser and a $180.00 1/2" Riser? (And every price in-between) They all appear to be a solid block of aluminum with rail slots and 2 thumbscrews. Am I missing something or is the answer so simple as basically "Nothing".
Thanks
Link Posted: 3/14/2006 12:56:53 PM EDT
[#1]
Well I guess I guessed right. There's no difference!
Link Posted: 3/14/2006 1:01:17 PM EDT
[#2]
Well, it’s not like manufacturing a riser is some type of manufacturing wonder! Like you stated, “They all appear to be a solid block of aluminum with rail slots and 2 thumbscrews.” That just about nails it. If I was in need of a riser I’d probably start by looking at Yankee Hill products.
Link Posted: 3/14/2006 2:06:55 PM EDT
[#3]
From what I've gathered, the more expensive rings are steel, claim to be precisely cut to the scope's diameter, and claim to align better on their bases or rail system.

For example, I bought a pair of aluminum Burris Xtreme tactical rings because they looked beefy and were half the price of the Badgers.

I had to lap the Burris rings significantly to get the scope to fit without isolated points of contact.  According to those who spend the big money, the lapping process is a lot less on the more expensive rings.

Personally I'd rather lap cheaper rings and save the money, but to each their own.

BTW, these have to the cheapest rings on the planet!  (Scroll down to the middle)

JSE Surplus
Link Posted: 3/14/2006 2:18:13 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
From what I've gathered, the more expensive rings are steel, claim to be precisely cut to the scope's diameter, and claim to align better on their bases or rail system.

For example, I bought a pair of aluminum Burris Xtreme tactical rings because they looked beefy and were half the price of the Badgers.

I had to lap the Burris rings significantly to get the scope to fit without isolated points of contact.  According to those who spend the big money, the lapping process is a lot less on the more expensive rings.

Personally I'd rather lap cheaper rings and save the money, but to each their own.

BTW, these have to the cheapest rings on the planet!  (Scroll down to the middle)

JSE Surplus

I don't think he means scope rings.
Link Posted: 3/14/2006 2:32:54 PM EDT
[#5]

I don't think he means scope rings.

Oops!  A classic case of activating the keyboard before engaging the brain!

Free bump!
Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top